HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 12:21 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^ Who knew

never heard of Fremont, Quebec but the design of the town makes sense.
. . .
Way back, I studied a semester under Ralph Erskine at UofT School of Arch.. I've been to Byker Wall (Newcastle, UK), the grand-daddy of them all - I had no idea that Fremont existed. And its not that small, especially for where it is. I can't believe it never came up in that studio. Especially since we directly studied the building wall concept. And we were in Canada. And Erskine obviously knew. And so too for the other profs.. Crazy!
Regardless, it's cool to be surprised by my own country in this way.

Oh, and Ralph Erskine was crazy.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:13 AM

Sorry Vancouver!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Sorry Vancouver!

Kind of makes sense though with all the sewage Victoria spews into the Salish Sea.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, Canada is a cow, with all the grazing in the west, the milking in central Canada, and the Maritimes, well the Maritimes recieves the waste products of Confederation..........

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:37 AM

Vancouver is the cat's ass is actually a compliment as the saying goes lol.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Well, Canada is a cow, with all the grazing in the west, the milking in central Canada, and the Maritimes, well the Maritimes rescieves the waste products of Confederation..........
About right.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^ Who knew

never heard of Fremont, Quebec but the design of the town makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Way back, I studied a semester under Ralph Erskine at UofT School of Arch.. I've been to Byker Wall (Newcastle, UK), the grand-daddy of them all - I had no idea that Fremont existed. And its not that small, especially for where it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
"Iron Mount", because it's an iron mining town; nothing to do with California explorer John Fremont.
As I think Lio was trying to emphasize, the name of the place is FERMONT ("Iron Mountain") not FREMONT.

It is an interesting design for a town that fits its environment. Basically a Sim City Arcology in real life. I'm a little surprised that Google hasn't sent their car up to do a tour at least once so far.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Do you know where the fuck this town is? It's in remote Northern Quebec. That's like me using Uranium City weather data for "Saskatchewan" (and bolding it).

By the way, it was +16C in Maple Creek (colder than Alaska!) when I was there a few days ago.
Some stupid trolls just never give up!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Way back, I studied a semester under Ralph Erskine at UofT School of Arch.. I've been to Byker Wall (Newcastle, UK), the grand-daddy of them all - I had no idea that Fremont existed. And its not that small, especially for where it is. I can't believe it never came up in that studio. Especially since we directly studied the building wall concept. And we were in Canada. And Erskine obviously knew. And so too for the other profs.. Crazy!
Regardless, it's cool to be surprised by my own country in this way.

Oh, and Ralph Erskine was crazy.
Haha, I'm sure someone like Ralph Erskine as a prof would be fascinating just for the entertainment value alone.

My husband's childhood was spent in Jarrow, not far from Byker Wall. But to him "Byker Byker Byker.. Grove!" Byker Grove BBC tv show from 1990s to early 2000s and similar to the Degrassi series in Canada was what he thinks about when asked about "Byker".

Demolition of communities to build Byker Wall to insulate the area from freeway traffic without thinking about how else it insulates the people that live there in other ways seems like poor planning back in those days when the original terraces at Byker were so important to the people that lived there.

The Fremont wall to shield people in that community in Quebec from the harsh cold 7 months of the year there would have been a build without demolition of existing homes.

Since I'm on this thread, another couple maps...

Population Density map of Canada.

Something I've never really thought of before is how Saskatchewan's main population is spread diagonally across the province from SouthEast to NorthWest, in the same angle as Saskatoon/Regina vector.
Where as Alberta's is vertical from South to North, Calgary to Edmonton.

As flat as a pancake most people think Saskatchewan is, the province has a point with higher alpine elevation than most of Canada's other provinces, including Manitoba, Ontario and the Maritimes and it's only when you get to border of Quebec & Labrador do you get as high of an elevation in Eastern Canadian Provinces.

https://greatsouthwest.ca/cypress-hills/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Do you know where the fuck this town is? It's in remote Northern Quebec. That's like me using Uranium City weather data for "Saskatchewan" (and bolding it).
Well, it's about as far north as Red Deer or the English Midlands.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:13 PM
Starring as himself

Yes, Saskatchewan is quite elevated as opposed to Manitoba. It is more that the base level of the prairie rises at the Manitoba Escarpment and then again in Saskatchewan along the Missouri Coteau, vs. there being actual mountains (the Cypress Hills are pretty great, though).

I remember being extremely excited to visit Manitoba's highest peak, Baldy Mountain, when I was a child. When we got there, it wasn't the snow-capped peak of my imagination but rather a steep rise alongside Provincial Road 366. It was kind of disheartening.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:29 PM

^^^ and hey did you know that British Columbia isn't all mountains?? (Almost) flat as a pancake can describe the Fraser Valley, Creston valley, and most of the north.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:06 PM

The elevation of the flat parts of Southern Saskatchewan is between 500 and 700 m, I didn’t realize SK was that high above sea level. I take it the flat parts of (non-coastal) BC are even higher, probably over 1000 m?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:18 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That's surprising. Even the Ontario portion of Canadian Shield only has a median height of 300 m (though the area around Ignace can get up to 500 m).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Well, it's about as far north as Red Deer or the English Midlands.
And the English Midlands are indeed pretty far north, compared to, say, Milan, Italy (which is still north of Montreal).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The elevation of the flat parts of Southern Saskatchewan is between 500 and 700 m, I didn’t realize SK was that high above sea level. I take it the flat parts of (non-coastal) BC are even higher, probably over 1000 m?
Kelowna's at ~350m. Kamloops is similar. Prince George is ~575m. Fort St. John is at ~690m.

It was even more shocking to me to find out Calgary was at ~1,000m elevation, but it makes sense when you consider how close it is to the foothills of the Rockies.

Last edited by wave46; Jul 31, 2020 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:31 PM

My dad’s hometown is one of the highest in Quebec at nearly 650 m. You’d think it is on the top of a ridge or something, but when you go there it looks pretty flat You can tell it is higher due to the vegetation but otherwise it’s not what one could expect.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Kelowna's at ~350m. Kamloops is similar. Price George is ~575m. Fort St. John is at ~690m.

It was even more shocking to me to find out Calgary was at ~1,000m elevation, but it makes sense when you consider how close it is to the foothills of the Rockies.
Ok thanks for sharing the numbers. I expected more, largely because Calgary is at over 1,000 m but I guess I was wrong.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Kelowna's at ~350m. Kamloops is similar. Price George is ~575m. Fort St. John is at ~690m.

Prince George 575m.

Fort Nelson 410m.

So ya our "flatlands" are not that high. Other than the top of the Coquihala Connector 1728m!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 8:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
My dad’s hometown is one of the highest in Quebec at nearly 650 m. You’d think it is on the top of a ridge or something, but when you go there it looks pretty flat You can tell it is higher due to the vegetation but otherwise it’s not what one could expect.
Going full circle (bouclons la boucle), Fermont is actually pretty "high", at over 600 m.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada