HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:21 AM

Gary airport news

Chris Curry, the current director of the Gary/Chicago airport will be leaving his job and starting a new director position for the airport in Naples, FL in September. I would imagine that he's had enough of the Gary mayor and the airport board.

http://www.garychicagoairport.com/fe...ail.asp?ID=271

On the bright side, 7 firms stated that they wanted to be the construction coordinator which would move the EJ&E tracks and lengthen the main runway and have the project done by 2013. That seems rather ambitious to me, but if they can do that, then maybe that airport can get rolling.
http://www.garychicagoairport.com/fe...ail.asp?ID=270

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 10:45 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Chris Curry, the current director of the Gary/Chicago airport will be leaving his job and starting a new director position for the airport in Naples, FL in September. I would imagine that he's had enough of the Gary mayor and the airport board.

http://www.garychicagoairport.com/fe...ail.asp?ID=271

On the bright side, 7 firms stated that they wanted to be the construction coordinator which would move the EJ&E tracks and lengthen the main runway and have the project done by 2013. That seems rather ambitious to me, but if they can do that, then maybe that airport can get rolling.
http://www.garychicagoairport.com/fe...ail.asp?ID=270
I was just looking at the website and it says that there is no commercial service. Does this opportunity for the Gary Chicago Airport mean that it could be the third commercial passanger airport along with O' Hare (ORD) and Midway (MDW)?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
I was just looking at the website and it says that there is no commercial service. Does this opportunity for the Gary Chicago Airport mean that it could be the third commercial passanger airport along with O' Hare (ORD) and Midway (MDW)?
It's a simple answer. No. If Gary was in Illinois it probably would be the third airport. Indiana does not care about Gary and won't dump much money into a Gary airport upgrade at this point.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 5:27 AM

Gary (GYY) wants to be the "third" airport for Chicago. It's in a pretty good location (near 2 or 3 interstates), and could have rail transit into the city.
GYY has attepted to have service, and was only able to host low cost carriers (only when GYY made concessions), which eventually all left or went out of business. I think GYY wants to attract passenger service as well as cargo service. For now, the recommendation from the Strategic Business plan (April 2010) is to attract charter flights instead of passenger and cargo services. Personally, if Gary were to attract customer service, I would hope it would be Frontier with flights into Milwaukee (MKE). That would at least provide passengers the options to go to multiple destinations.

I know that airports can be an engine of economic development, but I also think that the area (NW Indiana and SE Chicago) has a rather poor economic base, which may be hampering development at the airport. I would certainly appreciate any insight as to the role of the economic base of the region plays into airport development.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
If Gary was in Illinois it probably would be the third airport. Indiana does not care about Gary and won't dump much money into a Gary airport upgrade at this point.
A problematic paradox for those who want GYY to emerge as the third airport. I guess this is the type of problem that could be addressed by a regional airport authority?

Separately, does anyone know where Gary's borders run? Is it adjacent to Chicago or is there something in between like Whiting or East Chicago?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 9:30 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...UE01/308219982

Mayor Daley moves to borrow $1 billion for final phase of O'Hare expansion even as airlines balk
By: John Pletz August 23, 2010

Mayor Richard M. Daley is preparing to borrow $1 billion and start work on the long-delayed final phase of expansion at O'Hare International Airport, without a sign-off from the airlines he's counting on to pay for most of the project.

At the same time, city Aviation Commissioner Rosemarie Andolino is sounding a more conciliatory note in giving priority to new runways the airlines want, rather than a new terminal they don't.
---

Hopefully the concept turns out better than Wolfgang Puck Express.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Rick.Ba...2.1863037.html

Chef Rick Bayless Will Open O'Hare Restaurants
City Says Locations Will Be Ready By Fall

Chicago celebrity chef Rick Bayless is cooking his way from the White House to the terminals at O'Hare International Airport.

The Chicago Department of Aviation said Monday that the expert in contemporary Mexican cooking will open two new restaurants at the airport, one in Terminal 1 and the other in Terminal 3.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 4:13 AM

1. Gary Airport has selected Aecom Technology to oversee the expansion project. Aecom is the current contractor for development for O'hare.
http://garychicagoairport.com/feature_detail.asp?ID=273

2. Google Maps now show a new aerial view of O'Hare. This looks very recent, as you can see progress on the new 10/28C runway, and the finished version of 10L/28R.

3. If the western terminal isn't built, would O'Hare still use the 14/32 runways? Even if the western terminal is built, I could still see runway 14L/32R still possibly used. I wouldn't think it would be too much more difficut than the 4L/22R runway operations.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
2. Google Maps now show a new aerial view of O'Hare. This looks very recent, as you can see progress on the new 10/28C runway, and the finished version of 10L/28R.
Yet their maps still do not reflect the updates evident in the satellite photos.

The 10C/28C progress is really cool - almost like it was on a whiteboard and someone smudged the middle of the runway/taxiways to draw something else.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 5:44 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2785845.story

Chicago hopes to borrow another $1 billion for O'Hare expansion
The fresh money would buy time to keep the project going so the city will be able to persuade the airport's two largest tenants to help with funding and avoid costly litigation

By Jon Hilkevitch and Julie Johnsson, Tribune reporters
8:10 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2010

Like a poker player who has gone all in on a bet that's too big to lose, the Daley administration is expected to explain to aldermen on Tuesday why it needs to quickly issue $1 billion in new bonds to prevent the expansion of O'Hare International Airport from folding.

With less than half of the mega-project completed, the city is running out of money and needs the bond deal to continue work. In the high-stakes game of Chicago-style airport expansion, the fresh money would basically buy time to keep the project going with the hope that the city will be able to persuade the airport's two largest tenants, American and United airlines, to sign on.

Ultimately, the city will need to raise at least $3.3 billion to finish the job — and that's without new terminals, a People Mover extension and other infrastructure that Chicago officials once deemed integral to building the first runways at O'Hare in almost 40 years.

The move for more money comes while the city continues to be stymied in its effort to get American and United to help pay for a western terminal that would be primarily used by other airlines. The carriers also have refused to sign off on the last three runways of the project, which are expected to produce the biggest increases in O'Hare's flight capacity.

Still, the city's talks with United in recent months have yielded a potential compromise that would postpone development of the new terminal until demand for flights reached a predetermined level, say people close to the discussions. The two sides, however, have not agreed on the amount of traffic that would trigger work on the $2.2 billion terminal.

"The western terminal is demand-driven," said Chicago Aviation Commissioner Rosemarie Andolino. "When we need it, we will have the ability to build it."

But Andolino is running out of time to broker a deal with the airlines. On Tuesday, the City Council's Finance Committee is scheduled to review an ordinance paving the way for the $1 billion in new bonds, which would pay for preliminary runway work, including moving a portion of Irving Park Road. The measure is expected to be approved by the full City Council on Wednesday, Andolino said, calling it "routine business."

Andolino is gambling the airlines will fall in line once work on the runways begins, observers said. Yet by pushing ahead without the airlines' support, she risks a courtroom showdown that could mire the O'Hare overhaul, a plan announced nine years ago by Mayor Richard Daley, in further delays, sources said.

"I guess they are using the saying, 'If you build it, they will come,'" Ald. Joe Moore, 49th, said. "Keeping O'Hare as an economic engine is vital to the city, but that's a huge amount of money to appropriate. ... We the taxpayers may end up having to foot the bill if the airlines don't want the extra capacity."

Daley has long said local taxpayers won't be liable for helping pay for the expansion project. But there is concern that if the city fails to sign on the airlines, ultimately the city and taxpayers will be responsible for paying for the rest of the work.

United and American have hired the law firm DLA Piper to represent their interests in the proposed funding, design and construction of the remaining O'Hare project. The airlines contend that a 2005 contract bars the city from funding construction with bonds paid by airline landing fees and terminal rents, without first gaining the consent of carriers accounting for a majority of O'Hare operations.

In an Oct. 14, 2009, letter to Andolino obtained by the Tribune, DLA Piper warned that United and American "will protect their contractually bargained-for rights."

Andolino responded: "If we go down that path … it is a litigation issue."

The city will have to tap the bond market at least twice to pay for the remaining work. The bonds at the center of the legal wrangle would likely be raised a year or so from now and would total about $2.3 billion. What's unclear is whether the initial $1 billion debt would also be disputed by the carriers because it would be principally repaid with fees tacked on to passenger tickets and a $410 million Federal Aviation Administration grant.

"There are two questions," said Aaron Gellman, a professor at Northwestern University's Transportation Center. "Are the airport commissioner and city willing to run roughshod over the carriers and perhaps trigger a lawsuit under (the argument that the city failed to get the required approval of carriers who account for a majority of the airport's operations), or are they willing to make concessions to enough carriers to get (such) approval?"

Both sides have much to lose if the current deadlock turns into a prolonged legal battle.

Airlines at Los Angeles International Airport successfully sued aviation authorities to block airport terminal overhaul plans that would have imposed significantly higher finance costs on carriers, said Steve Lott, spokesman for the International Air Transport Association, an airline trade group.

It is in the airlines' interest to cut a deal now to take advantage of low interest rates, Gellman said. But other analysts said the project risks making O'Hare even more expensive to airlines and passengers — and less attractive to the management of American and United.

United is slated to gain a new CEO, Continental Airlines chief Jeff Smisek, with no ties to Chicago when the airlines' merger is legally completed Oct. 1. O'Hare will be eclipsed by Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport as the new airline's largest hub, and observers are watching to see whether United will shift flights and resources away from its O'Hare base.

The city and airlines largely kept their differences on O'Hare's expansion to themselves until 2008. That summer, six of the major airlines serving O'Hare sent letters to city aviation officials warning that the expansion plan is flawed. They also suggested suspending the final phase of the project because of a decline in air travel and the airline industry's cloudy future.

The airlines' resentment boiled over again in February, when the city raised landing fees by 38 percent and rents by 15 percent to 17 percent to prepay bonds that weren't due until 2030. United and American called the move "fiscally irresponsible" and broke off talks in protest.

American has refused to sit down with city officials since the dispute, sources said. A spokeswoman for the airline declined to comment for this story. United, however, has resumed negotiations with Andolino's team in recent months aimed at ending the deadlock over the western terminal. United spokesman Michael Trevino confirmed the negotiations but declined to elaborate on what is being discussed.

Sources said recent talks have focused on a contractual clause that would enable the city to push ahead with airfield improvements without committing to financing the new terminal, which would almost double the cost of this phase of the project.

The city is conducting a study on the costs of the western terminal, which initial estimates pegged at about $2 billion. But new number-crunching shows the final price could be much higher. The soaring expense might provide the city with a face-saving reason to shelve the western terminal in exchange for the airlines' support of the overall airport renovation project, sources said.

"I think all sides still want to make the deal come together," said Lester Crown, a leading member of the Civic Committee of The Commercial Club of Chicago. "There is no demand at the present time for the western terminal gates. I think the terminal is completely on the back burner."

While the city has faced escalating costs because of project delays and ongoing litigation with opponents of new runways, another big hang-up has been timing. Flights at O'Hare are down about 100,000 annually from a 2004 peak, and the lingering recession has stymied efforts to bring aboard financial support from the airline industry, which has long insisted the project be scaled back, or from private investors.

Demand for additional runways and passenger terminals will likely materialize, but it will take years, according to FAA projections. The agency has supported O'Hare expansion with $747 million in taxpayer money — the largest financial commitment ever made to a single airport project.

Andolino is undeterred.

"When I started out here in 2003, I was given the direction by the mayor and the business community that they wanted these runways,'' she said. "I prefer to work in an environment with my airline partners, and I am confident that will still happen. (But) we are moving forward with the program, period."

Always the optimist, Andolino insisted that the entire O'Hare project can still be completed by 2014, as the mayor directed when Chicago was competing to host the 2016 Summer Olympics.

"It is still the goal, but with the challenges we face, I reserve the right to (reconsider) that decision as appropriate,'' she said.

Tribune reporters Hal Dardick and John Byrne contributed to this report.

jhilkevitch@tribune.com

jjohnsson@tribune.com

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:10 AM

There is quite a bit of talk/rumors on airliners.net about United and American announcing new long haul routes from ORD.

Many believe that AA will soon announce service to Hong Kong and Birmingham, UK. Someone just recently posted saying UA will be announcing service to Moscow, Vienna, Oslo, Lisbon, and Manchester from ORD.

The AA announcement is supposed to be tomorrow (wednesday) whereas the UA announcement is supposed to be sometime in the next few weeks.

Hopefully it becomes more than just a rumor.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Many believe that AA will soon announce service to Hong Kong and Birmingham, UK.
ORD-HKG would be huge. I don't know of any nonstop Asia routes from ORD other than NRT and SEL (please correct me anyone; PEK nor TPE are served yet, right?). This would be the first time Chicago has direct access to "inner Asia", or if you like, "tropical Asia".

What would precipitate that development in a recession like this? Reduction in capacity from NYC/DFW to ORD as a jumping-off point that is slightly closer to HKG? Or is AA getting longer-haul aircraft? Or did they just get the slots from the USA/PRC? Or they simply want to snag customers who on Star/SkyTeam/etc. would have to transfer at Pacific Rim airports before reaching HKG?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:00 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
There is quite a bit of talk/rumors on airliners.net about United and American announcing new long haul routes from ORD.

Many believe that AA will soon announce service to Hong Kong and Birmingham, UK. Someone just recently posted saying UA will be announcing service to Moscow, Vienna, Oslo, Lisbon, and Manchester from ORD.

The AA announcement is supposed to be tomorrow (wednesday) whereas the UA announcement is supposed to be sometime in the next few weeks.

Hopefully it becomes more than just a rumor.
That would be awesome to get all those in play. I am a bit surprised a Moscow route hasn't worked yet given that there seems to be a sizable Russian ex-pat population in the metro.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:42 PM
The City

Quote:
^ Hey! Where's that announcement?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Hey! Where's that announcement?
Go to AA web-site, they just announced ORD-Helsinki starting in April

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
ORD-HKG would be huge. I don't know of any nonstop Asia routes from ORD other than NRT and SEL (please correct me anyone; PEK nor TPE are served yet, right?). This would be the first time Chicago has direct access to "inner Asia", or if you like, "tropical Asia".?
No. ORD already has flights currently to Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai on United. They have all been around for a while now. There are also nonstops to Seoul and Tokyo on various airlines. Also, there was a ORD - Osaka flight a few years back on United as well.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
That would be awesome to get all those in play. I am a bit surprised a Moscow route hasn't worked yet given that there seems to be a sizable Russian ex-pat population in the metro.
AA had an ORD - Moscow flight a couple years back that tanked almost immediately. Even summer flights were empty.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 8:22 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Yea, that was a bit of a head scratcher why that didn't have more legs but I think that was perhaps tried at the height of the recession/depression..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
No. ORD already has flights currently to Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai on United. They have all been around for a while now. There are also nonstops to Seoul and Tokyo on various airlines. Also, there was a ORD - Osaka flight a few years back on United as well.
It would be nice to get either a Manilla or Bangkok flights.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 9:50 PM

Other than LAX, JFK, and IAD, do any other US airports have regular scheduled nonstop service to Moscow? It seems the coasts provide the more natural base for US-Russia travel, and despite a decent sized population in the Chicago area, the heartland in general is not overflowing with Russian immigrants, Russian business operations, nor Russian tourists.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Other than LAX, JFK, and IAD, do any other US airports have regular scheduled nonstop service to Moscow? It seems the coasts provide the more natural base for US-Russia travel, and despite a decent sized population in the Chicago area, the heartland in general is not overflowing with Russian immigrants, Russian business operations, nor Russian tourists.
Transaero is starting Miami service in a few weeks. That doesn't disprove your theory though.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 1:14 AM
THAT Guy

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/310059746/

Will Elgin-O'Hare Expressway reach the airport?
By Marni Pyke

After years of talk, completing the eastern part of the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway and building a western bypass around the airport are gaining momentum and indications are that all or part of the project could be a tollway.

Gov. Pat Quinn announced this morning the creation of an advisory council of business, local government, urban planners and labor to coordinate and work on funding for the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation