HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Listen, to each his own, and all that... I very much appreciate your contributions here and other places, and if UP isn't your cup of tea then I have no issue with that.

However, I really can't say I understand the criticism. If you just want a place to look at pictures, then so be it, but that isn't what the Nashville urbanplanet forum is. It's an urban planning discussion forum that exists to provide a place for conversation and debate and critique on that subject. The people having those conversations are different and naturally have different opinions. There is plenty of positivity to go around there, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with a negative critiques either. If we all just pretended to agree with each other, and pretended to like everything about everything, there'd be no conversation to be had. That's kind of the nature of the whole thing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that pointing out perceived flaws and debating those perceptions is the best way to ensure our urban environment continues to improve. I mean, am I wrong about that?
No you're not wrong at all.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:58 PM
Nashville born and raised

Again, bumping this to the new page so it won't be forgotten so soon. Other updates on Downtown, SoBro, The Gulch and on previous two pages. Stay tuned for General and Special project update next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Continuing my list of greatest hits....necessary because of the deletion of past postings by photo*$%#@^&.

NASHVILLE'S MIDTOWN/MUSIC ROW/VANDERBILT

Just opened...

The Aertson

The Skyhouse

RISING AND PROPOSED

Not looking good...

Midtown, on it's on, would make a nice sized city. Plenty of live/work/play in Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:30 AM

Sorry about my previous post on the Nashville Forum. Forgot I had to use BBcode to share photos. Anyway, here they are...

Looking Good Downtown Nashville!
[IMG]Untitled by Chris Stritzel, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Untitled by Chris Stritzel, on Flickr[/IMG]

Interesting that the 505 Tower looks taller than AT&T

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 5:02 PM

With the new non-stops between Milwaukee and Nashville starting on Southwest, I think I'll have to visit one weekend. I haven't been there since I was a kid and it looks like a lot is going on.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 6:14 PM

Thanks MidTenn1,nice work as usual. Chris the Bridgestone building looks taller than AT&T in your photos also. Without the spires isn't AT&T less than 500 feet tall?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:27 PM

Photos exaggerate the size of anything in front of anything else. They also condense space, making it appear that there is less space between objects than is really the case.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittore View Post
Photos exaggerate the size of anything in front of anything else. They also condense space, making it appear that there is less space between objects than is really the case.
I agree about how photographs can fool the eye. Emporis states the roof height of Batman at 452 feet, that sounds a little off. That would mean about 170 feet of decoration above the roof. Somebody fact check me!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:18 PM

Batbuilding height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
I agree about how photographs can fool the eye. Emporis states the roof height of Batman at 452 feet, that sounds a little off. That would mean about 170 feet of decoration above the roof. Somebody fact check me!
That seems a correct figure. However, 452 feet would be to the top of the last occupied floor. The top with all the sloped glass is not occupied space but is mechanical space. Of course, the arch & spires are definitely only decorative.
452 feet is not an unusual figure for a 30 story office building with a floor to floor of 14 feet (average). I was working for the architectural firm while the tower was being designed so I am pretty sure the figures are correct.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:44 PM

Snodgrass Tower has long been the dominant building on the skyline, perhaps due to its isolation and higher elevation. Significantly, 505 CST appears to eclipse Snodgrass.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:45 PM

505 Crown

A lot of people seem to wish for a "crown" on the 505 building. It is possible to add a crown later on as was done in Mobile. Since there is no money available within the project for this, is there any practicality to the idea of raising public funds for the purpose (with Giarratana's approval). I think that a crown would make a significant difference in the skyline and the building, and might even satisfy the desire for a new "tallest."

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittore View Post
A lot of people seem to wish for a "crown" on the 505 building. It is possible to add a crown later on as was done in Mobile. Since there is no money available within the project for this, is there any practicality to the idea of raising public funds for the purpose (with Giarratana's approval). I think that a crown would make a significant difference in the skyline and the building, and might even satisfy the desire for a new "tallest."
I'm willing to wait until Nashville gets a taller and better building.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 10:38 PM

Baronakim, thank you for the insight!
Dale, I think you may have to wait a bit for the taller building. I like pittore’s idea about a crown on 505.
If a crown were by some miracle added to 505, what would you all like to see?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:53 AM

505 Crane

The Tower crane is gone.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:08 PM

I'm not picky, any sort of crown would be better than none. One person suggested putting some kind of broadcast spire up there (he mentioned a specific type which I can't recall and I can't find his post), but he said it would be more practical than my idea because TG could make a profit from it. It could be a simple spire with something decorative at the base which transitions from the building, or something more elaborate. If the crown gave us a new "tallest" TG could pitch his tower to prospective tenants as the tallest tower in Tennessee.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:43 PM

Cool

Renderings for a proposed 30,000 seat MLS Soccer stadium at the Fairgrounds site in Nashville have been released!

Quote from Sports Illustrated article;

Quote:
Regarding the design, (NFC CEO Tom) Ingram half apologized for not having designed it to look like a guitar. He added, “I would say our hope has been to try to emphasize function over form. Not that we don’t want to have a pretty stadium—[we'd like] something that would hopefully be aesthetically pleasing—but not something that looks like it was dropped from outer space.”

Rather, he said, he envisioned a stadium that was “architecturally consistent” with structures found around the rest of the city.
Very vanilla and obviously (to me) designed to accommodate Vanderbilt Football although no announcements are seen as forthcoming anytime soon.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:06 PM

^ In my god honest opinion, I really want to see Nashville get a soccer team. My home city of St. Louis lost its chances at getting one after voters struck the idea down. Nashville, I believe, would benefit more from a Soccer team than St. Louis. Nashvillle doesn't have crime like STL and they have more things to do and going for them than St. Louis does. So, I really hope Nashville is awarded a team!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:46 PM

CBS national news had a great aerial picture of Nashville this morning. 505 eclipsed AT&T in the view; maybe we will start seeing pictures of something besides the AT&T building.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Snodgrass Tower has long been the dominant building on the skyline, perhaps due to its isolation and higher elevation. Significantly, 505 CST appears to eclipse Snodgrass.
Things do have there own charm. Perhaps a crown, should be put on WMRS? As Dale stated, it still looks tall, imagine if it was not charmingly ugly.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
CBS national news had a great aerial picture of Nashville this morning. 505 eclipsed AT&T in the view; maybe we will start seeing pictures of something besides the AT&T building.
I hope so. ABC, had a nice shot I believe on Saturday when one of their primary meteorologist was in town to highlight the path of the solar eclipse. Given that the view was from the south looking north, I believe she was either on the grounds of the Adventure Science Center or in Fort Negley Park. The skyline was the backdrop and you could see the Bridgestone Bldg, 505, the Westin and all buildings in between. I don't recall seeing the AT&T building which is usually the building camera guys go for the most. The angle that they chose somehow only captured a small bit of the roof of the MCC, which I actually liked because the south side of the MCC is not that attractive and it can be really dominating because of it being a mass of whiteness. I wish they could do a different facade on that side of MCC.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:40 PM

My crude amateurish attempt at recording the moment approaching the eclipse today. Weather was perfect.

An incredible moment. The temperature dropped, it got very dark and then the insects got very loud, the completely silent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations