HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:19 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Converting Bonnybrook (and nearby industrial areas) back into real communities was the subject of one of my undergraduate research projects.

Do you have any concept of just how bad that area smells come July?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
You can't just arbitrarily decide "take out the parks and the freeway ROW": that's how these neighbourhoods were designed. Huge, huge ROW, lots and lots of green spaces, and comparatively fewer paved surfaces. Less paved surface = more room for everything else.

No, no, Tuscany does not have wider roads. Road widths are standardized; they might seem wider but they're not.

Larger lots, true. Which goes back to what I said about the fact that gridded neighbourhoods can have lot sizes that change over time: divided, infilled; combined, multi-family, multi-storey, etc.

There's no argument from me that Tuscany has fewer dwellings per unit area than Hillhurst does but that was not always the case. Hillhurst was once much less dense than it is now.

I know... that's why I said:

On the overarching points I agree with you entirely. On the point of curvilinear road networks (generally) having less paved area than a gridded network, I disagree with you entirely. It's absolutely true, despite your perceptions to the contrary. And that's absolutely why they get built like that in the first place: developers don't need to lay down as much road and for a given lot size the curvilinear street neighbourhood will have more dwellings per unit area than the gridded one.

(And again, the great thing about a grid layout is the lot size is easily changed, you can fill in those neighbourhoods later, blah blah blah, rehash of what we've both said about four times now. )
Correct. Curvilinear are slightly more efficient to build though they limit options when redeveloping in years to come. Linear grids are easy to redevelop in the future. The decision between the two comes down to traffic analysis, zoning, lot sizes and existing land grades. the City plays a small part in this as they inevitably become the owner of the road networks.

Most curvilinear layouts happen in areas that are most likely not going to see an economic business center like the older areas we all love.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:34 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamned View Post
Correct. Curvilinear are slightly more efficient to build though they limit options when redeveloping in years to come. Linear grids are easy to redevelop in the future. The decision between the two comes down to traffic analysis, zoning, lot sizes and existing land grades. the City plays a small part in this as they inevitably become the owner of the road networks.

Most curvilinear layouts happen in areas that are most likely not going to see an economic business center like the older areas we all love.
Seems a bit deterministic no? How can we be so sure that these areas won't become a business centre when they are being designed and built? If we make that choice at the design/build stage it limits the possibilities of the area.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:19 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:

Curvilinear layouts suck for redevelopment. Not just because underground parkades are essentially impossible, but building anything beyond a semi-detached is very difficult. Rectangular lots are good.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I did a photothread of Bonnybrook showing some of the old houses, if you are interested.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=148369
I found it amusing that you spoke about IKO Shingles having a ton of fires in this post and they just had another one this month.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:06 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I can assure you that I would not propose saving any of those 'historic' houses.

(Although I do kinda like this one)
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ogd...7bab0081317c2b

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle17714161/
Quote:
Amid Calgary’s prosperity, Mayor Nenshi senses housing crisis Add to ...
GARY MASON

CALGARY — The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Mar. 28 2014, 6:00 AM EDT

License AA Last year, nearly 30,000 people arrived here, drawn by the scent of money. The Stampede City is in full boom again, with the oil patch bestowing six-figure salaries on many of those inhabiting the industry’s gleaming downtown office towers.

Tony restaurants along Stephen Avenue and elsewhere are packed. Luxury automobiles are flying off the lot. Prosperity abounds – for most but not all.The downside of all this upside is the pressure it has put on the city’s affordable-housing market. It becomes scarcer by the day. And the mayor can sense a crisis on his hands.

“It’s the No. 1 issue for us right now,” Naheed Nenshi said in an interview. “It, along with the continual concern over transit expansion. The two go together in many respects.”

The situation is so dire the mayor is considering some unusual measures and expanded powers – such as forcing developers to build affordable housing, and legalizing secondary suites in homes.

Before last year’s floods, which damaged many parts of the city, Calgary’s vacancy rate was 1.7 per cent, the worst in the country, said the mayor. Now, he believes it’s likely closer to zero. For years, developers showed no interest in building rental housing because there was no profit in it. In fact, the city lost thousands of apartment units – almost 7,500 between 2001 and ’09, according to the University of Calgary – to condo conversions.

But because rental rates have soared in the past few years, developers have shown a new interest in this area. There are 12 rental towers in the works now, compared to only three that were constructed over the previous two decades, according to the mayor.

Still, it’s not enough to meet demand.
Mr. Nenshi is now experiencing the kind of problems cities like Toronto and Vancouver have been dealing with for years. Since becoming mayor in 2010, Mr. Nenshi has had a somewhat rocky relationship with the city’s developers. He’s being sued by one to whom he referred to as the “Godfather.” Now he’s trying to persuade this same group to add a component of affordable housing to the market towers they are putting up around the city.

Moral suasion has so far not worked. Mr. Nenshi now favours bringing in mandatory inclusionary zoning, which effectively compels builders to apportion a percentage of the units they build to affordable housing (between 5 and 20 per cent).The city doesn’t have the power to enforce this type of zoning restriction at the moment but may soon seek the power from the province to do so.

“I think this kind of zoning must be part of the solution,” said the mayor. “You don’t want to interfere too much with the private market but you want to make sure something is in place. This is something where regulation is required. A total free market doesn’t work.”

Those are words that will undoubtedly make developers skittish, but something has to be done. Many can’t afford the sky-high rents that exist – the average two-bedroom unit is nearly $1,300 a month. Mr. Nenshi has heard stories of people placing “for rent” ads and getting more than 1,000 inquiries the first day. This has incited an unfortunate spiral.

Rents are so high, many people can’t afford them and so are looking for subsidized accommodation options. There is a waiting list for social housing that measures in the thousands. This pressure is bumping more people into shelters or out on the streets.

“So the whole system kind of works its way down,” Mr. Nenshi said. “We have to have market solutions to build rental housing and entry-level attainable home ownership so we can clear out the system. But right now there’s very little political will, especially federally and provincially, to make that happen.”

Secondary suites in homes could also be part of the solution, yet at the moment they are illegal in certain areas of the city and subject to rezoning in others. The mayor would like to see them made legal throughout the Calgary region, which would open up thousands of additional opportunities for people to rent.

“We’re just getting the conversation going about some of the possible solutions,” said the mayor. “But we have to get it moving along quickly because we have a real problem on our hands that is only going to get worse unless we do something about it quickly.”

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Seems a bit deterministic no? How can we be so sure that these areas won't become a business centre when they are being designed and built? If we make that choice at the design/build stage it limits the possibilities of the area.
Completely agree with you and fusilli. It is deterministic. I suppose maybe the power centres would be aimed at the current commercial retail areas nearest all the new developments. The City is currently asking for renderings or sketches with some of the new commercial retail proposals in the new "budding" communities that show future development to include increased density and midrise buildings. These commercial retail centres would be the best place to start in my opinion and then potentially work outwards, but we're talking decades out there. Lets be honest, most of the homes built today in new pop-up communities will likely not last 60-70 years.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:39 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Completely agree with you and fusilli. It is deterministic. I suppose maybe the power centres would be aimed at the current commercial retail areas nearest all the new developments. The City is currently asking for renderings or sketches with some of the new commercial retail proposals in the new "budding" communities that show future development to include increased density and midrise buildings. These commercial retail centres would be the best place to start in my opinion and then potentially work outwards, but we're talking decades out there. Lets be honest, most of the homes built today in new pop-up communities will likely not last 60-70 years.
Sad really that our housing stock has become disposable. There are areas that are now 20-30 years old that are prime for redevelopment (see the area around the Whitehorn train station), but due to the cul-de-sac/curilinear layout it will take decades for someone to purchase enough properties to properly redevelop the area

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Mask of sustainability hides core of self-indulgence

I thought this was an interesting article, pointing out how unsustainable and environmentally damaging some of our Calgary condos are. It is a real shame.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lity-1.2624688

Quote:
Sheddon says he gets calls every week about window walls and the problems with their design, assembly and seal.

"We've got issues of moisture penetration coming from the exterior, such as rain or snow melt, and we also have a lot of very cold surfaces on the interior," he said. "Any moisture that's present in the air just from living in your house — taking a shower, boiling a pot of water for tea — it likes to condense on the cold surfaces and run down and damage the drywall or the flooring or whatever happens to be below this window system.

Architect Tang Lee says the big concern is the sustainability of the walls and their energy efficiency.

"These buildings that [are] being built today are going to consume so much energy that the public is not going to be able to afford to pay for the heating and cooling of these buildings," Lee said. "You may find that a lot of these buildings may become abandoned, they would actually be 'white elephants' in the future they're just too expensive."
Wow! Disasters waiting to happen.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 5:06 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I thought this was an interesting article, pointing out how unsustainable and environmentally damaging some of our Calgary condos are. It is a real shame.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lity-1.2624688

Wow! Disasters waiting to happen.
Architect Tang Lee chose his words poorly - it's not the public that won't be able to afford the heating/cooling costs in these buildings, it's the condo owners.

As far as white elephants, I suspect there will always be someone willing to buy/rent these units - there's always homes out there that I see and I think to myself 'why would anyone buy/live there' and yet those homes are always occupied. Good example, SW corner of 64th Ave and 4th Street NW - single family home right on the corner with no private yard space, two busy roads on it's front and side and a busy bus shelter/stop on it's side as well. And yet, it's always been occupied despite having to deal with constant graffiti/vandalism and what I think is a less than ideal location/yard.

So a condo with a view - yeah, there'll be people out there always willing to sign on the dotted line to live there.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
As far as white elephants, I suspect there will always be someone willing to buy/rent these units - there's always homes out there that I see and I think to myself 'why would anyone buy/live there' and yet those homes are always occupied.
I would agree that there will likely be 'someone' willing to live in these. There were pictures of even the abandoned buildings in south america not being left empty.

https://fsrn.org/2014/04/families-oc...ng-costs-soar/

It is interesting to point out that some of these projects were also abandoned for the unreachable costs of actually living in them legally, which is precisely what the architect mentioned could happen with the buildings in Calgary built with only R2 insulation value on their walls.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 7:58 PM

This is no surprise to condo buyers. If you do your research you will know what to expect regarding heating bills and condo fees. Certain buildings have reputations for high fees for various reasons (including energy inefficiency), and as a result selling prices are lower.

Calgary has thousands of old inefficient homes, is this also a crisis waiting to happen? No, it's the homeowner's problem; they can either absorb the cost, pay to renovate, or move. Same thing with condos.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 9:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Calgary has thousands of old inefficient homes, is this also a crisis waiting to happen? No, it's the homeowner's problem; they can either absorb the cost, pay to renovate, or move. Same thing with condos.
Curious what type of renovation you could do on a condo to deal with an R2 glass wall?

Should a condo board choose to do that, what would the impact be on the individuals, or would they be able to navigate the problem based on their own cash flow realities? Just wondering what type of surprise special assessments could be doled out.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 9:45 PM

Well the windows can simply be replaced with higher-quality ones, it won't reach the insulation of a wall but will make a difference (the "window doctor" in the CBC article seems to think that high efficiency windows are OK and it's the cheapo ones that pose a problem). I don't think a condo board would have the cash flow for a major renovation like that unless they do it at the end of the existing windows' lifespan (where they planned to replace them anyway). So if a building was to do this reno each owner would have to pay a one-time fee.

I wonder if the same issues exist with office towers?

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 10:04 PM

My background:
I am currently living in a 2 bdr rental basement in the NW and work in downtown.
I put down payment on a 2 bdr in Mark on 10th, once I move in I will be walking to work or getting groceries.

Reason to pick Mark:
1. Location is great, two blocks from the C Train, right by Safeway and co-op. Tons of restaurant in walk-in distance. 10 min walk from 17th ave. 15 min walk from Eau Clair. If I need to go to walmart, westhill is only 10-15 min drive away.
2. I love the furnishing in the suit. Since I got a 2 bdr, I got free hardwood upgrade for all bedroom. I love the appliances they use and all the cabinet. gas stove is a big+ for me
3. They got wonderful amenities there. Gym and leisure area on the 34th floor over looking the entire city, how great is that. the private garden is perfect for relaxing or walking a small dog.
4. My master bedroom will be facing east, which means I have the full view of the downtown skyline, it will be beautiful at night with all the lights.
5. With the new development on 10th, which is add-in more retail space, the location will be absolutely stunning.

I can walk to anywhere for anything. I can stop by safeway for fresh grocery everyday!
Only con of that place could be that traffic might be worse due to increase in population density. But again, I am walking everywhere, my car can just sit in the garage.

Why not anywhere else?
1. East village is still in development, I do not know how that is going to turn out. Risk of flood, no one can guarantee it is not going to happen ever again. I do not like live near homeless shelter
2. 17th Ave area, when I go home, I want some quiet time, 17th ave might be too loud and it is a further walk from DT core
3. Eau Clair, too expensive.

Future:
If I get married and have more than 1 kid, then I will consider moving to a smaller townhouse or small single house somewhere in NW.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 5:59 PM

City Council approves new Zoning (R-CG) for Rowhouse Developments

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:04 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
We've talked about this on some other threads. Forgot which ones though. Huge news. Obviously, still work to do on this district (I.e. city initiated land uses), but this is a huge and very positive step forward for the city IMO. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:58 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
We've talked about this on some other threads. Forgot which ones though. Huge news. Obviously, still work to do on this district (I.e. city initiated land uses), but this is a huge and very positive step forward for the city IMO. Thanks for posting.
Very good news indeed

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:14 AM
YIMBY

Does anyone have good examples of M-CG developments and something that would be considered R-CG, we've have a land use application in for comment right now that this would help start the discussion.

Also looking at where R-CG would be applicable in our community.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues