HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 5:47 AM

Thanks for the updates! I saw it last Friday before and after the Timbers game, and ended up explaining the little bit I knew about it from this site to a bunch of Timbers fans and tourists.

Most were curious about the dimensions, and a large number that I talked to mentioned how nice it would be to have a slender tower in the city.

This is a tower that this city just needs. And then a few more like it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:15 AM

With the latest core bump, the work platform is at 280 feet, which puts PAW higher than Edith Wyatt, Portland Plaza (Norelco), One Main Place and UBOC Tower.

PAW is at 56% of its final height and 61% to roof height. According to Emporis, it's now the 15th tallest building in Portland.

Pics taken from webcam and design advice.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:10 AM

PAW rising as seen from across the river. Pic taken by Instagram contact..

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 2:36 AM
PearlHelp.com

7/11:

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 12:31 AM

New floors going up!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 5:44 PM

From Saturday:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:56 PM

Another week, another core bump. The top of the PAW formwork now stands at 293 feet, 58% to final height and 63% to roof height. There are nine more core bumps left, followed by two mechanical floors.

PAW is now the 13th tallest building in Portland, displacing the Lloyd Center Tower and 1000 Broadway.

Pics taken from webcam and design advice.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 8:36 PM

Different Angles?

Thanks for the updates! I've been following this progress closely.

I am curious, however, as to if anybody out there has any pictures of the PAW progress from a northern or westerly perspective (views from the Pearl, Fremont or Broadway bridges, Goose Hollow/Alphabet district)?

I'm looking for something that shows its current impact on the skyline from an angle that isn't Pioneer Square, Director Park, or the Eastbank Esplanade.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
Thanks for the updates! I've been following this progress closely.

I am curious, however, as to if anybody out there has any pictures of the PAW progress from a northern or westerly perspective (views from the Pearl, Fremont or Broadway bridges, Goose Hollow/Alphabet district)?

I'm looking for something that shows its current impact on the skyline from an angle that isn't Pioneer Square, Director Park, or the Eastbank Esplanade.
Ive been meaning to get a picture from the Broadway Bridge on my morning commute, but I haven't had spare time the past two weeks to do it. It looks neat coming across there and also from the east bank where you can see the buildings aligned on the grid. It is definitely poking up.

I will see what I can get in the next few days

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:30 PM

You can see it from the International Rose Test Gardens now, but I didn't have my camera with me so I couldn't take a picture.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:44 PM

I have a quick question about building heights in Portland. Early on in the forum, the Oregonian mentioned that the KOIN Center was 460ft and PAW would be 410ft. I know PAW's height was later raised to 515ft, but I am curious as to why the Oregonian would say that the KOIN Center is 460ft, while Emporis says its 509ft. Also, I am confused as Emporis lists the Congress Center at 30 feet taller than 1000 Broadway, even though 1000 Broadway looks significantly taller (the elevation change between both towers isn't significant). I know this may have been more appropriate to ask in a new forum, but I think somebody previously questioned the accuracy of Emporis's data before me.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
I have a quick question about building heights in Portland. Early on in the forum, the Oregonian mentioned that the KOIN Center was 460ft and PAW would be 410ft. I know PAW's height was later raised to 515ft, but I am curious as to why the Oregonian would say that the KOIN Center is 460ft, while Emporis says its 509ft. Also, I am confused as Emporis lists the Congress Center at 30 feet taller than 1000 Broadway, even though 1000 Broadway looks significantly taller (the elevation change between both towers isn't significant). I know this may have been more appropriate to ask in a new forum, but I think somebody previously questioned the accuracy of Emporis's data before me.
KOIN tower is 509' tall, that's the figure i've seen everywhere. The Oregonian might be mistaken because PAW will be 460' to the roof. The spire will take the height to 501'7" according to the most up to date design documents they have released.

As far as Congress Center and 100 Broadway go, they are listed at 321' and 288' respectively, but from my view (near the top of the Fox Tower) I can see onto the roof of the Congress Center, but not onto 1000 Broadway, which is closer and is on a higher grade. I'm not sure if that makes up the 33' listed difference and then some though, because 1000 Broadway clearly looks taller. They both have 23 floors, but 1000 Broadway has that dome on top. Someone needs to get out their measurring tape.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:21 PM

Here are a couple from the Broadway this morning. Sorry they are not closer, all I had with me was a wide angle. Maybe next week I will take a longer lens with me to work.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:21 PM

Great pictures, cailes! Thank you for the new perspective.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Great pictures, cailes! Thank you for the new perspective.
Just saw your request.. I am house sitting and took these today from the Pearl.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:24 AM

Here's a July 15, 2014 iPhone shot from the International Rose Test Garden:

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
A few more angles:

Vista Bridge

NW 10th Ave

NW Couch @ I-405

SW 14th & Yamhill

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 4:52 AM

You guys are awesome. Almost as awesome as this building is going to be for Portland's skyline.

Holy carp this thing is going to be an awesome part of the skyline.

I keep noticing I can see it from lots of places (North Portland the other week really surprised me), but I like it more and more when I see it from angles that aren't east of it.

The Hassalo Eighth tower is the same way, but this one is just way more noticeable.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 4:12 PM

Here's another one from Vista Bridge. Man does that fence suck.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:28 PM
A before E

sweet photo, and yeah that fence does suck, damn jumpers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland