HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 5:23 AM

So is it above ground yet?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 6:39 AM
Love skyscrapers!

I'm still waiting for when it begins to grow in height!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 3:35 PM

"X" Marks the spot.

CityRain:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 4:13 PM

after Shanghai Tower is built does anyone think Shanghai will continue its skyscraper boom?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 4:50 PM
Love skyscrapers!

I think yes, maybe lower. Moreover, other Chinese cities are beginning to catch up on Shanghai skyscrapers!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 6:06 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
after Shanghai Tower is built does anyone think Shanghai will continue its skyscraper boom?
i do believe shanghai will continue to build skyscrapers, maybe not as tall (or no supertalls at all for the next years) but on the other hand many of them. if you take a look at the CTBUH's website you will see that shanghai is just after NY in terms of 200m+ skyscrapers. (#1 dubai (56)- updated, HK (54), NY (53), shanghai (44))

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 2:20 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Of course. It's a city of 20 million with limited space in the city centre, so the only way to build is up.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 8:05 AM
if I sang out of tune

The shape of things to come by 2020:

http://sites.google.com

http://1.bp.blogspot.com, www.theresidentarchitect.com

its already looking alot like this (if it weren't for the smog)

mimephotobucket, www.photobucket.com

The worst case scenario is if Shanghai reaches an estimated 60 million population, the authorities are trying to curb it down to 40 million.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 10:15 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
The worst case scenario is if Shanghai reaches an estimated 60 million population, the authorities are trying to curb it down to 40 million.
care to elaborate? what's the prognosis for shanghai's population in 2020? i have a chinese colleague at the university (he's from shanghai) who says that the city has already reached the 25 mill. mark! sorry for going OT.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 12:18 PM
if I sang out of tune

oh its not 40-60 million by 2020, but whenever people stop migrating en mase to the city, maybe 2040?. Even with Shanghai's growth rates I dont think it would be feasible to have that many people move in in a decade.

Either that or its an estimate if the city joins up with the Suzhou-Changzhou-Wuxi or Hangzhou etc conurbations (for example an extra million people might settle onto a bridging settlement there - thus the cities conjoin and the population effectively doubles into one.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Either that or its an estimate if the city joins up with the Suzhou-Changzhou-Wuxi or Hangzhou etc conurbations (for example an extra million people might settle onto a bridging settlement there - thus the cities conjoin and the population effectively doubles into one.
The odds of this not happening is like .00001%. Shanghai is like what? 50 miles from Wuxi? Its going to be very hard for a city with a population of 5 million not to join up with a city of 25 million when they are only 50 miles apart. Then you consider that you have Suzhou like smack dab in between then throwing another 6 million in the mix. Frankly I am shocked that there is any agricultural land between any of these cities. Especially once the populations of these cities begin to suburbanize a little bit. I doubt it will ever be suburbanization on the scale of the US, they just don't have the space, but I'm sure the richest of the rich will want to spread out a bit effectively linking the two metros.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 3:28 PM
BROOKLYN

This thing is off the ground! That model of Shanghai 2020 is ridiculous. It makes Dubai look tiny.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
This thing is off the ground! That model of Shanghai 2020 is ridiculous. It makes Dubai look tiny.
Forget the 2020 model; that last picture of Shanghai today looks insane already!!!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 2:40 PM

Remind me to visit Shanghai. A friend of mine just went there, and he enjoyed it a lot.

By jamyan:

By spruance:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 3:32 PM
don't *meddle*...

i'll be damned, that's what i call huge progress! i guess the tower could exceed the 10th floor by the end of the year!

Last edited by hunser; Sep 8, 2010 at 6:11 PM. Reason: add: floor

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 6:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I wonder if that's the height of the lobby, or if we're looking at two floors worth of steel there. Man, it's gonna be cool watching this thing go up.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 6:05 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
i do believe shanghai will continue to build skyscrapers, maybe not as tall (or no supertalls at all for the next years) but on the other hand many of them. if you take a look at the CTBUH's website you will see that shanghai is just after NY in terms of 200m+ skyscrapers. (#1 dubai (56)- updated, HK (54), NY (53), shanghai (44))
Likely by completed buildings. NYC has a lot more under-construction than Shanghai!

I think Shanghai Tower will remain the city's tallest for a few decades...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
I think Shanghai Tower will remain the city's tallest for a few decades...
I'm sure that is what they thought about Jin Mao (20 yrs) and then Shanghai WFC (6 yrs).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'm sure that is what they thought about Jin Mao (20 yrs) and then Shanghai WFC (6 yrs).
oh god please no another Burj Dubai....but i agree that it will be tallest for a long while. there just isnt a demand foe 2000+ footers everyday.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 9:42 PM
BROOKLYN

I wish this wasn't across the street from the WFC. I think they need a little more room...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive