HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:27 AM

Its in the British Properties above the upper levels highway in West Van.

You never heard of it? Its one of the more famous restaurants in the city.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:39 PM
Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
By the way, Where are you visiting from?
Just Calgary Alberta, nothing exotic or far away really. I visited Vancouver once before for a weekend last year, you guys have a great city. The weather was great, and there was a ton of people out and about on Robson and everything.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Its in the British Properties above the upper levels highway in West Van.

You never heard of it? Its one of the more famous restaurants in the city.
never heard of the place before

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 11:18 PM

Really? you should give it a try. The food is excelent and the view is to die for.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 12:05 AM

i don't like salmon

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 12:21 AM

Haha well its not my favourite food either, but I can assure you the porterhouse is excelent too.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 12:33 AM

My list - all of them reasonably-priced, within walking distance and not hole-in-the-walls. If you like those places, i also have another list

La bodega - it is a great spanish tapas place close by on Howe. Not typically 'west-coast', but an authetic place.

Bin 941 - also a short walk on davie, very small dining room, though, if you are not used to small spaces.

For seaside places - agree with Provence @ marinaside

Amacord in yaletown - I am surprised there has not been a lot of press about this place. It's been there for several years - I think it is family-run, in a nice loft building with exposed brick inside and great food. Not a lot of flash, but if your distant uncle fredo wanted to meet you downtown, he would meet you here. Great for lunch after a walk thru yaletown.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 1:07 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
La bodega - it is a great spanish tapas place close by on Howe. Not typically 'west-coast', but an authetic place.
I was going to say this. La Bodega is literally a stone's throw from your hotel (about 40 feet away) and is the best bang for the buck in the city IMO. The food is better than super expensive places but you can get out of there paying less than $25 per person (not including alcohol).

Very relaxed atmosphere but classy.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:30 AM

This has been a great thread. I have picked up a couple of places I need to try. La Bodega sounds great. And the Salmon House sounds incredible as well. Probably a few others as well, will need to read back through.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:49 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I'd like to highlight Maurya again, because I love that place for some reason. Read some media reviews here: http://www.mauryaindiancuisine.com/z...edia/media.jsp

In particular the fact that they were rated (in 2006) as one of the top restaurants in North America. I absolutely buy it. They were on Opening Soon and apparently brought in India's top Tandoori chef just to work there.

Last edited by Spork; Feb 19, 2009 at 4:52 AM. Reason: Not Restaurant Makeover, Opening Soon

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 4:34 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I just checked out Maurya's website and boy does it look good.

I took the wifey to Tandoor Indian Kitchen here in Shanghai for Valentine's day and it was fantastic. I'll have to try Maurya now to compare.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 5:01 AM
Very nice!

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Im sort of wondering if most of these places are places I could walk into in say a pair of jeans and a nice sweater and get a table? Since this is just a weekend trip, I dont intend to bring any really formal clothing. So would most places in Vancouver accept me in a nice pair of jeans and a sweater?

Im also interested in two places I've seen mentioned on another site:
Fuel
Gastropod

Any insight into those places?

Thanks again.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmp.dll View Post
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Im sort of wondering if most of these places are places I could walk into in say a pair of jeans and a nice sweater and get a table? Since this is just a weekend trip, I dont intend to bring any really formal clothing. So would most places in Vancouver accept me in a nice pair of jeans and a sweater?.
It's Vancouver - people go to the Opera in jeans (guilt as charged). But I would still bring my best jeans and the trendiest (said with a grain of salt) sweater. Think casual but chic rather than comfortable and casual. There has to be a little pain in being fashionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmp.dll View Post
Im also interested in two places I've seen mentioned on another site:
Fuel
Gastropod

Any insight into those places?
I've never been to fuel but Gastropod rocks! you have to try their scallop ceviche, their all natural lamb, and then their poached apple blue cheescake!!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 6:29 PM

I'm the same, never been to Fuel, but Gastropod is one of the better restaurants in the city Their food prices are actually qutie reasonable, but their wine menu is exorbitantly expensive.

Would certainly recommend it, and RainCity Grill, one of my absolute favourite restaurants in the city. Nice atmosphere, great location and the food is always superb. Try and get a table near the window around sunset if you can.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 11:21 PM

I was just reading about FUEL somewhere - they are having some cheap lunch special

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 5:46 AM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 6:42 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Fuel isn't too bad... it's on the pricier side (for me that is) but you are definitely getting quality food. Gastropod on the other hand...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 12:05 AM

Fuel is really good - was just there on Saturday. But as some have mentioned it is pricey – almost on par with Lumiere. Lumiere’s 6 course is $135, Fuel’s is $84 I think, and Fuel’s 9 course is $125. We each did the 9 course (couldn’t walk after, along with the three bottles of wine) and everything I had was fantastic, which was also the case with Lumiere. The 6 course at Fuel definitely would have been sufficient.

The plus for fuel is that if you don’t want, you are not tied to a tasting menu; you can just order appy’s and mains.

Also re: Fuel - the food is fantastic, the service is great, but (and this isn’t a negative) the space is much more understated than Lumiere - more clean and modern and minimalist as opposed to Lumiere's (post re-launch) classy opulence (i.e. you feel like you will sink into the carpet is so soft).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining