HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 6:54 PM

Cool AUSTIN | 5th + Colorado | 242 FEET | 18 FLOORS | Complete

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-downtown.html

Odd that it says 6 floors of parking in a 9 story building. Either the parking levels will be underground or it will be a 15 sotry building IMO... 3 levels of office on that square footage is just not viable.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 7:24 PM
Rundberg & I35

Add another level for the lobby/retail and it could be 16 floors.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 9:00 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Even if you say the footprint is 200x200 (I think it's smaller), and say 100% of the square footage is usable office space, it would still take 3.5 stories to reach the 179,000 square feet number. I'm leaning toward a 15 or 16 story tower.

Kevin, where do you get those numbers you use to approximate a tower's height based on the proposed square footage and footprint?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:16 AM
Meh

They must have meant it'll be 9 floors of office over 6 floors of parking. They said the building would have 179,000 square feet of space. If that's not counting the parking garage that would mean the 3 office floors would have roughly 58,000 square feet each. I seriously doubt that would be the case. Most buildings typically have 20,000 to 25,000 square foot floor plates. That site is simply not large enough to have nearly 60,000 square foot floor plates.

The stated size of the building was 179,000 square feet. I'm assuming they're talking about the office space and retail space combined and not counting the garage space. The article said the building will have 6,000 square feet of retail. So let's assume they meant 9 floors of office space over 6 parking levels. So 173,000 square feet divided among 9 floors would be 19,222 square feet per floor. That seems more accurate. And remember, that's usable square feet, not the gross square footage, which includes the thickness of the walls and mechanical areas.

As for the lot size. I remember I had the dimensions of it saved from something related to the 1Hotel project that was slated for that lot, either the rendering had it listed or it was in an article. Anyway, the renderings I have saved for the 1Hotel project that was previously slated for that property, said the lot size was 124 feet by 188 feet. Multiplying those two numbers you get 23,312. So there's no way they'll be able to squeeze 58,000 square feet onto each of those three floors.

And I would not be surprised to see a 15-story office building ending up being about the same height that the hotel was planned to be. I would imagine this will be around 200 feet tall if it has 15 floors.

By the way, it was also Lincoln Property Co. that developed 100 Congress. They also teamed up with HKS, Inc. who designed it. They're both doing this tower as well. Hopefully it'll be something nice. HKS, Inc. does nice buildings. And this should obscure the fugly east wall of the Plaza Lofts a bit.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 3:34 PM
Meh

Aha! The Austin Business Journal article has now been updated and it states the project is planned to have 16 floors. That would certainly make it a 200 foot building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-downtown.html
Quote:
Jul 15, 2013, 10:48am CDT UPDATED: Jul 22, 2013, 8:54am CDT
Lincoln Property plans downtown office tower

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Dallas-based Lincoln Property Co. is planning to build a 16-story office building on the southwest corner of West Fifth and Colorado streets in downtown Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 5:19 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Nice!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Nice!
Yeppers, that location could use some height. I like that we are getting some east / west verticle density especially further north of the lake. Even at just 16 floors, this will have a nice impact. Still waiting for that signature 800 footer office tower though...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 8:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

How is that lot in terms of the CVC placement?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 9:22 PM
Meh

The property is at the southwest corner of West 5th & Colorado Streets. So there is no CVC on that block.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 2:37 AM

Am I correct that Lincoln Property is simply marketing this project at this point and has not filed plans or applied for permits? Have they made any kind of statements regarding construction financing? I'd love to see an office building on this site, but I am wondering whether they are going to be able to pull things together in light of the other office projects underway in the immediate vicinity. It would be wonderful to have that much Class A office space come on line at the same time downtown in that area.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 5:11 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The property is at the southwest corner of West 5th & Colorado Streets. So there is no CVC on that block.

There appear to be at least 3 or 4 CVCs that are directed at I-35 south of MLK. Given the possibility of TxDOT sinking (if not capping) the mainlanes of the interstate in the not too distant future*, could this potentially remove those corridors (thus opening up significant sections of the Waller Creek area)?

*Perhaps "Not too distant future" is a bit ambitious of a timeline

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:40 PM

I was waiting to post this because I didn't want to get anyone involved in trouble, but it has been circulated around town enough that even the Business Journal has a copy now (I don't know why they haven't run it yet - not newsworthy enough?). This is part of the marketing that Lincoln Property Company is sending out to prospective tenants for their proposed building at 205 West 5th Street. 16 stories, approximately 185,000 square feet, ground floor retail, 5 floors of parking and 9 floors of office.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:42 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That's a nice building.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:49 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't mind that at all. Looks pretty good.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 1:10 AM

Are you crazy! I hate it....just kidding...a little Green Water treatment redevelopment thread humor...I'm starting to like anything that's not built on top of a pedestal. I also like that this is not a perfectly square box. But I do wish it was taller...of course...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Are you crazy! I hate it....just kidding...a little Green Water treatment redevelopment thread humor...I'm starting to like anything that's not built on top of a pedestal. I also like that this is not a perfectly square box. But I do wish it was taller...of course...
Not at all like the disdain for the greenwater designs. This is a smaller project. I don't mind it at all.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:00 AM
Meh

Not bad. It's pretty streamlined and simple. I do like the facade accents and the top is good. And it looks like the corners are sunk in some with columns running up and down the corner.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:19 AM

What's on that lot now?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:46 AM
Meh

It's completely vacant. Previously there had been one or two small buildings. Those were torn down a few years back to make way for that 1Hotel project. That project never happened, though, and we've been stuck with the parking lot ever since.

You can see the lot from the JW Marriott web cam. It is the vacant lot across 5th Street from the Chase Bank Tower garage.

http://oxblue.com/open/tournee/jwmarriottaustin

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 10:18 PM

It almost looks like 2 or 3 separate buildings since the height and facade changes. If the rest of the block wasn't older and relatively flat, it would probably look even more like multiple buildings.

I wouldn't expect to hear the complaint on this forum, but just to nip it in the bud: the loss of those food trucks is a good thing. Walking near that block is a poor experience due to noise and air pollution from those trucks. There is no on-site power, so they each have loud generators. It's really a blight in an otherwise high-potential area. Food-wise, Chi'Lantro (diagonal across the intersection) is a much better option in my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin