HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Just got back from the meeting. A new 1300 foot building! After waking up and realizing it was just a dream haha.
You got my hopes up for a whole half second.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 11:47 AM
BANNED

Open House

I was at the open house last night. I spent most of my time at the Schuylkill Yards presentation board. I was standing behind an older woman who was monopolizing the gentleman from Brandywine, beating him about the head and neck with questions about the wind these buildings would create, and the shadows, my God, the shadows. I am too much of a nice guy to have said what I really wanted to say to her but I did intervene slightly to help her understand the issues a little better. I think the guy she was talking to was a little relieved. But I kept thinking, this is the kind of person developers kowtow to because they make the most noise, the NIMBY's. I don't think in this case they will have that much impact though, because most people want this, or at least something close to this, to happen.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
I was at the open house last night. I spent most of my time at the Schuylkill Yards presentation board. I was standing behind an older woman who was monopolizing the gentleman from Brandywine, beating him about the head and neck with questions about the wind these buildings would create, and the shadows, my God, the shadows. I am too much of a nice guy to have said what I really wanted to say to her but I did intervene slightly to help her understand the issues a little better. I think the guy she was talking to was a little relieved. But I kept thinking, this is the kind of person developers kowtow to because they make the most noise, the NIMBY's. I don't think in this case they will have that much impact though, because most people want this, or at least something close to this, to happen.
the crazy thing is that this thing isn't even in anyone's backyard!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:20 PM
Urban Explorer

FYI, boards from the meeting are now posted on the project website:

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...Boards_Web.pdf

Some additional renderings and plans here, if anyone wants to excerpt them.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
I feel like those people dont care about the actual wind and shadows but they have learned that those 2 impacts exist, and are now there to just let everyone know that "hey, I know that tall building can have impact on wind tunnels and they make shadows.... so just know that I know cause I will keep telling you that I know. They think they are doing a civic duty and are looking out for the neighborhood but really they are there just to argue and question aggressively. My house is part of the HOA and during the annual budget meetings you will have 1 or 2 elderly people just bitch about everything, while taking copious notes like they are at board meeting of a fortune 500

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
And exactly whose back yard is it anyway? Does the dear old woman live under the High Line? [UPDATE: Cafeguy beat me to asking this question].

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:24 PM

My experience with those specific NIMBYS tells me that they are usually people who honestly believe One Liberty Place was the first sign of the apocalypse and have dedicated their twilight years to opposing every building over 3 floors that comes down the pipe.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
FYI, boards from the meeting are now posted on the project website:

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...Boards_Web.pdf

Some additional renderings and plans here, if anyone wants to excerpt them.
Thanks. This is great! It's good to get a sense of their very comprehensive thinking -- and to see that they do have eventual plans for Powelton Yards. Maybe they can at least make those pedestrian bridges more ambitious and perhaps even make a downpayment on future PY development by making them full vehicular/pedestrian bridges.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
My experience with those specific NIMBYS tells me that they are usually people who honestly believe One Liberty Place was the first sign of the apocalypse and have dedicated their twilight years to opposing every building over 3 floors that comes down the pipe.
No building taller than the Liberty Bell!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:49 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
No building taller than the Liberty Bell!
They took the "no building taller than William Penn's hat" a little too literally.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 8:06 PM

Timeline for 30th Street District redevelopment (with a nod to estimated completion of Schuylkill Yards development):

http://philly.curbed.com/2016/3/16/1...-plan-timeline

It's official. I'll be 82 if I live to see this (and Powelton Yards will still open to the sky).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Timeline for 30th Street District redevelopment (with a nod to estimated completion of Schuylkill Yards development):

http://philly.curbed.com/2016/3/16/1...-plan-timeline

It's official. I'll be 82 if I live to see this (and Powelton Yards will still open to the sky).
I hope I am still here to walk the Bluffs ;(

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I hope I am still here to walk the Bluffs ;(
You can push my wheelchair.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
They took the "no building taller than William Penn's hat" a little too literally.
WINNER!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 10:09 PM

Lucky me I guess? I would be 50 or 51.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
You can push my wheelchair.
Sounds like a good plan. Cheers to one day seeing the fruition of these plans.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 12:49 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

When I become a billionaire and donate back to my alma mater I will expedite this process...No worries old heads.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 1:40 PM

Ok, I'll be the one to post Inga's article.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
So, I just got back from the open house. There wasn't really too much new news, but I'm glad I attended. There were 26 information boards on display, and some people answering questions. There were no models or anything like that. All of the display boards are expected to be on their website tomorrow, but most of the information can already be found on this thread.

I asked if they thought this project could pilfer projects from other parts of the city. I mean, I love this proposal, but would it negatively affect other parts of the city? There was really no good answer for that.

The idea of connecting the subway underneath (The blue line) with 30th street station was getting a ton of attention. It was pretty overwhelming actually.

Nothing else to report really. For some reason, I guess I expected more from the open house.
I talked to women about the circulation board, she said the plan now is at grade not submerged for the transit, LRT, or BRT. I think they need to go submerged and use the 31st underground to continue south

I also have a picture of the scale plan rising in height toward Cira, with one building >700ft most 2-400 and few 400ish

I have a picture but don't know how to post so if some DMs me can send it to them

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 10:58 PM

was also some protest there about crude oil in the rail cars and the danger, increased security risk with high winds and shadows it would seem

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals