HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 12:20 PM

RIP (Requiem for lost Phoenix projects)...

Phoenix projects on hold or cancelled (as of fall 2008):

Toll Brothers (2 x 685'):

SWDG Project (2 x 500'):

Brophy Tower (1 x 475'):

Century Plaza, Phase II (2 x 450'):

W Hotel Phoenix (1 x 450'):

Copper Pointe (3 x 400'):

KML Tower (1 x 400'):

Cielo Phoenix (2 x 399'):

Phoenix Resort Towers (2 x 350'):

Omega (1 x 318')

One Phoenix (3 x 250'):

Cosmopolitan Lofts (1 x 212'):

--don

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 2:55 PM

Wow.. Too bad. Those woulda been great for PHX.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:00 PM
Chairman

One Phoenix looks like it is more than 250' as posted above.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:42 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Don what makes you think Omega is on hold/cancelled? Haven't we seen permits regarding it fairly recently? I'm probably misremembering, but I thought that project was currently moving forward.

I hope some of these companies that already have land, and plans can get their crap together for the next upswing and things can get started sooner in the cycle. If all these projects were built in Phoenix in the next 5-10 years it would be incredible and really change the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:48 PM

Unhappy That's awful

A number of those projects are very impressive as far as renderings go. Hopefully we'll see an upswing soon, although sometimes developers take too long and the market turns before they act.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 4:22 PM
no its not...

I see where 4 or 5 of those projects were for twin buildings or more.....you would have thought they could have built one...then the other later in at least a couple of the projects

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Don what makes you think Omega is on hold/cancelled?
In it's old form, it's dead. Talking to David Wallach last night, he said it's going to be all hotel (others heard him say it will have some condos too, but I heard all hotel) and that it is being scaled down to around 20 floors from the previous 34. The sales office in the ground floor of Orpheum has closed down and they are moving everything out.

He said he'd love to build a 40 story tower on that site and he'd love to start digging tomorrow, but the market just isn't there right now and loans for projects that big ($100M+) aren't happening right now. A loan in the $50M range is much easier to get, which leads to a scaled down tower. He did say there are two hotel brands seriously interested with possibly a third.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 4:39 PM
Wen Lambo

I hate when things are canceled or delayed. These would have really bolstered Phoenix's skyline...however, that Cielo Phoenix is hideous... sometimes good things come out of the bad

It looks like they took a decent residential building and then combined it with the top quarter of the Wells Fargo building in PHX. Very odd IMO.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 4:36 PM

Oh yea, Don...don't forget the Momentun Hotel Tower, the "sliver building". Hotel Monroe is also on hold right now...I'm baffled that no one is picking that up, considering how much work has already been done and what a great idea/project it was.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Oh yea, Don...don't forget the Momentun Hotel Tower, the "sliver building". Hotel Monroe is also on hold right now...I'm baffled that no one is picking that up, considering how much work has already been done and what a great idea/project it was.
I'm trying to convince Bill Nassikas and Westroc to buy it. I hear it's a tough number to swallow.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 5:31 PM
cities|transit|croissants

>Cielo Phoenix

Wow. Consider yourself lucky to lose that one. That's some ugly building. I'm not sure I could make it worse if I tried.

Some of the others look good. Too bad about them.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 5:36 PM

I think the ones I'm most bummed about are Copper Point, Omega, and mostly Brophy Tower.

I know Brophy was in an architectural style of the 30s, but why not build something like that today? The ones from the 30s look great today, and it would be awesome to have that style mixed with the amenities of today.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 7:12 AM
this could have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I think the ones I'm most bummed about are Copper Point, Omega, and mostly Brophy Tower.
I know Brophy was in an architectural style of the 30s, but why not build something like that today? The ones from the 30s look great today, and it would be awesome to have that style mixed with the amenities of today.
i agree, but i'd put the "W" ahead of copper point.
also, should we say RIP to the San Carlos hotel expansion tower,
the Hotel Madrid, the Lido, Cityscape phases 3 and 4, Herberger theatre tower,
the Ballpark lofts around 7th st at jefferson(?), the Soho lofts (or whatever their name changed to like 4 times), etc.? i'm sure there are others.
oh yeah - the MAG bldg....etc.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 6:54 PM

I still cling to hope that when normalcy returns to our credit markets, some of these projects will move forward. In fact, I think a few will eventually happen in some form or the other.

We got a fair number of towers out of this recent boom. In fact, five out of our top 20 towers are under construction now, and a sixth may break ground shortly (Palomar Tower, Phase II, of the Cityscape Project, at 415 feet and 36 stories; and yes, Wachovia ended up being only 385 feet instead of the 400 feet in the table below):

--don

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 8:48 PM

Don't forget Artisan Haus (there are still signs for it in the Artisan Lofts on Central Building), Portland Place phases II and III, Imperial Towers, Calder Tower, and the 19-story apartment building slated for Roosevelt and Fourth Street (or so).

http://downtownphoenix.blogspot.com

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 10:26 PM

Man i really liked Copperpoint

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 11:06 PM

So would 20 stories for omega put it somewhere around 215'?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ KID View Post
So would 20 stories for omega put it somewhere around 215'?
Yea, something like that.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 11:27 PM

So, do we know for sure that One Phoenix is dead or on hold? I thought the Israeli company had already lined up the financing and such.

And that's really sad about Omega. I was looking forward to another nice "tall" tower for DT.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admdavid View Post
So, do we know for sure that One Phoenix is dead or on hold? I thought the Israeli company had already lined up the financing and such.
It looks like the developer is considering alternate uses for the property. Per an 8/6 entry on the Downtown Voices blog:

[Source: Jahna Berry, Arizona Republic] — Banks are shying away from most high-rise condo proposals these days — even if the pitch comes from an overseas developer. One Phoenix, a proposed 921-unit project on the northwest corner of Central Avenue and McDowell Road, is having a tough time getting financing, said Yon Minei, VP of planning for AI-BSR LLC. Instead of breaking ground on the 375-foot complex this year, as the developer had planned, AI-BSR LLC is exploring new mixed-use options for the site, Minei said. The alternatives could include offices, a hotel, or apartments. Nothing is final yet, Minei said. The firm decided to revamp the project instead of waiting for the Valley housing market to recover because that could have delayed construction for five years, he said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest