HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 9:16 PM

The diagonal patterned terracotta on One Vanderbilt is not "International" in either style or substance. Harkens back to Art Deco. The overall pyramidal shape is not "International" style either. Where is the box, exactly?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoM Trespasser View Post
The diagonal patterned terracotta on One Vanderbilt is not "International" in either style or substance. Harkens back to Art Deco. The overall pyramidal shape is not "International" style either. Where is the box, exactly?
Terracotta isn't an immediate shoe in for Art Deco, the inspiration is pulled from the beaux art Grand Central terminal. The heavy horizontality on this building also doesn't make it part of the international style, but they sure make this building look like it spent some time in the 80s, (with much more depth and character in the facade to be sure).

The base of this tower is superb and well programmed, but something about the form and clad of the building might make it fall just short of graceful.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 1:28 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 10, 2018 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 7:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Looks like this one will be topped by 270 Park Avenue. It will get at least a few years as tallest in east Midtown...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp-nrKQgNQV/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 11:00 PM

Instagram: nyconstructionphoto

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:02 AM

This tower is going to have quite an impact on the Midtown skyline from Brooklyn. This are taken from Westlight in Williamsburg.

DSC_0732 by scottbarnholt, on Flickr

DSC_0741 by scottbarnholt, on Flickr

DSC_0742 by scottbarnholt, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 3:21 AM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoM Trespasser View Post
"Still unsure about the horizontal lines and the international style of Vandy." When I wrote this I did not mean to imply that it IS international through and through, but the style I think of when I see Vandy. The horizontal lines is what sticks out most to me because I appreciate vertical lines for buildings this height (Empire State Building and 111W57th are two of my favorite buildings, and vertical lines are present). I appreciate the conversation regardless, but as I also mentioned, I am unsure of my feelings towards Vandy because the facade is only just now climbing. I am sure the whole package will turn out being an incredible sight to behold. But since we are a forum of construction updates, it leaves the conversation open to initial thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by patriotizzy; Nov 12, 2018 at 3:21 AM. Reason: Extra "I"

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 3:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

Just thinking about that view in a few years...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqDXU9OAirv/

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
"Still unsure about the horizontal lines and the international style of Vandy." When I wrote this I did not mean to imply that it IS international through and through, but the style I think of when I see Vandy. The horizontal lines is what sticks out most to me because I appreciate vertical lines for buildings this height (Empire State Building and 111W57th are two of my favorite buildings, and vertical lines are present). I appreciate the conversation regardless, but as I also mentioned, I am unsure of my feelings towards Vandy because the facade is only just now climbing. I am sure the whole package will turn out being an incredible sight to behold. But since we are a forum of construction updates, it leaves the conversation open to initial thoughts and opinions.
Yes, I see the horizontal bands that are reminiscent of SOM/International style. So far, the light hue, diagonal extruded panels, translucent glass and reducing pyramidal shape are making for a very light and airy look even at this relatively early point of construction. IMHO.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 11:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 11:23 PM

Getting up there :

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 2:14 AM
New Yorker for life

It looks great in a canyon view.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqGb8DeHiay/

Quote:
Looking south from the helipad on top of the Met Life (formerly Pan Am) building above Grand Central Terminal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqGPQUGF5Cx/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqF3_eahsaT/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqF9j52Fs6Y/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: FC

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:46 PM
Illustrator

November 16th

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pics by me. All taken today.

20181116_105009 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

20181116_110019 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

20181116_110038 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 5:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is very close to eclipsing Metlife which means we have roughly 625-635 ft left until pinnacle.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 9:46 PM

I visit the NY thread every so often to drool at the projects going up. The last time I checked this specific building, it was barely above-grade. I feel like that wasn't that long ago, so this beast is rising quickly.

The last time I visited NYC, the Chrysler building still poked out of the skyline. Nowadays it barely registers. Amazing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive