HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

..... Maybe we can convince them to do some painting when they add some missing up escalators to the Expo Line (Nanaimo, Royal Oak, 22nd Street and Columbia being key ones).
Some of those (**cough**Royal Oak**cough**) are not big enough to have escalators or secondary elevators or have any expansion work done on them the way they are currently configured.

It seems like when they were first designed, they didn't imagine the population in the area would increase to a point necessitating extensive station upgrades.
Which is weird when you consider the fact of the number of students who have to go to Michael J. Fox school, for example, and who therefore pass through it.

I suppose they could potentially expand it on the western side of Royal Oak and potentially squeeze in a second elevator on that side. But I'm not really sure if they have enough room to get an escalator on either side.

Yet another case of Translink/the cities half-assing or cheap-skating construction of transit infrastructure at the beginning and leaving themselves with little room for upgrades or expansion in the future (see: Single-tracking parts of Canada Line or the Broadway extension only going as far as Arbutus instead of all the way to UBC).

It's almost like these people don't ever imagine the population in the GVA ever increases or that more people might need to use transit in the future

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Yet another case of Translink/the cities half-assing or cheap-skating construction of transit infrastructure at the beginning and leaving themselves with little room for upgrades or expansion in the future (see: Single-tracking parts of Canada Line or the Broadway extension only going as far as Arbutus instead of all the way to UBC).

It's almost like these people don't ever imagine the population in the GVA ever increases or that more people might need to use transit in the future
That's more due to a lack of money and shortsighted politicians/NIMBYs unwilling to accept full-sized infrastructure. I'm sure that given $4-5 billion CAD per project and no consultation, TransLink would build Singapore-sized stations.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 9:23 PM

I got a letter today about the "TransLink Maintenance and Repair Program" replacing "part of the roof" at six stations. "The next phase of this project will be in your neighbourhood at Edmonds Station. It will commence at the end of June and conclude in winter 2019" and include some night work. Odd that it's not on their website.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:39 AM

Quote:
This was the last from their 'big 7' list (Commercial–Broadway, Main Street–Science World, Joyce–Collingwood, Metrotown, New Westminster, Scott Road and Surrey Central).
The Surrey Central upgrades look nice, however...the majority of the traffic which enters the station goes through the north entrance. It faces severe overcrowding issues everyday and nothing has been done to resolve the issue. Comparatively, the new south entrance is usually empty and seldom used.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
The Surrey Central upgrades look nice, however...the majority of the traffic which enters the station goes through the north entrance. It faces severe overcrowding issues everyday and nothing has been done to resolve the issue. Comparatively, the new south entrance is usually empty and seldom used.
The new entrance might not make sense *now* but in the future when the area changes it will. For example, when Columbia Station first opened it really didn't make any sense to have a station there - after all the bus loop was at New West Station and it wasn't that far away. When Scott Road Station opened Columbia Station made slightly more sense. Once the Millennium Line was opened and Columbia Station was the point where the lines split, then it made sense.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
Isn't the renovated entrance the North entrance?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Isn't the renovated entrance the North entrance?
Whoops. Yep, you're correct. Meant to refer to the south part as the crowded entrance.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
The new entrance might not make sense *now* but in the future when the area changes it will. For example, when Columbia Station first opened it really didn't make any sense to have a station there - after all the bus loop was at New West Station and it wasn't that far away. When Scott Road Station opened Columbia Station made slightly more sense. Once the Millennium Line was opened and Columbia Station was the point where the lines split, then it made sense.
I don't doubt the new entrance will get busier through the next few years, but the south entrance will always be busy. They should have done some upgrades on that side as well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:51 PM

TransLink completes renovation of SkyTrain's 22nd Street Station bus loop
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/22nd...ew-westminster

An electric-bus vehicle charger at the 22nd Street Station bus exchange. (TransLink)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
TransLink completes renovation of SkyTrain's 22nd Street Station bus loop

An electric-bus vehicle charger at the 22nd Street Station bus exchange. (TransLink)
Does anyone know why the charger was installed at Bay 2, signed for the 128, instead of Bay 3, where the 100 now is? The charger also prevents that bay from having a shelter unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrizzy View Post
Does anyone know why the charger was installed at Bay 2, signed for the 128, instead of Bay 3, where the 100 now is? The charger also prevents that bay from having a shelter unfortunately.
128 already moved to Bay 7 (assume there's something on those placards to that effect). Bay 2 will be for charging and 100 stays where it is.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Tran...Street_Station

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:58 AM

^ Holy shit, who manages the Vancouver section for that website? It's so comprehensive and up-to-date. I've never seen anything like it... for any transit system anywhere.

Bravo to whoever took so much time to do that, and I hope they keep it looking so great!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
^ Holy shit, who manages the Vancouver section for that website? It's so comprehensive and up-to-date. I've never seen anything like it... for any transit system anywhere.

Bravo to whoever took so much time to do that, and I hope they keep it looking so great!
You can view the edit history but this guy made a bunch of changes on that page.

https://www.instagram.com/jeffreyngai_/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 10:30 AM

Joyce station, east station house is getting an A&W

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 5:15 AM
Vancouverite

so now that Commercial-Broadway has been open awhile, i am wondering from people who use it, has the new platform made a difference? i never really used it before the renovation nor after it and haven't heard anything.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
so now that Commercial-Broadway has been open awhile, i am wondering from people who use it, has the new platform made a difference? i never really used it before the renovation nor after it and haven't heard anything.

I go through this station several times a week. I only occasionally use the new platform but I must say it is a pleasure to use. Like you can see in the video below it is spacious and I'm sure it relieves a lot of pressure from the old platform. Also, the pigeon problem has been largely resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
a good look at the new broadway upgrades

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
It's certainly helped with the crowding. When I'm headed downtown after work the waiting passengers seem equally spaced on the old and new platforms.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 6:11 PM

Stadium- Chinatown has the next train signs installed on the platform now

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:54 PM

The new train arrival display signs have been installed at Stadium, Main, Joyce, Edmonds, Columbia, Lougheed, Production Way, Lake City, and are in-progress at Sperling, New West, and 22nd Street. Not sure about the Surrey stations, but I know they were doing work at Scott Road a few weeks back.

It bothers me a bit that they seem to be short-sighting the M-Line again, since Lake City and Sperling are both only given a single upcoming train arrivals sign at one end of the platform, rather than the two signs that all the other stations seem to be getting

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure