HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 1:58 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Update on the cladding:

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 2:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was in town recently and this one looked quite good. These recent developments have had a transformative effect on the area -- it feels a lot more modern, vibrant, and complete than it did a couple of years ago. The nice thing about Halifax is that these places all have some character and a pedestrian-friendly structure. The difference between good and great neighbourhoods in Halifax mostly comes down to strong infill projects here and there, not larger scale overhauls that are very hard to get right.

Halifax also has the culture of a real city. If this type of growth continues it might become a great town.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 8:20 PM

I think that perforated metal cladding is what's going to be used on parts of the new library. Should look great.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 1:01 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I love that cladding, it really breaks up and makes interesting what would otherwise be a very very bland wall.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:56 PM

There are some nice photos from atop the building showing the recently-increased density around Spring Garden, but more interestingly some finished interior photos as well.
http://vertusuites.com/photos.asp?PageID=4&GalleryID=43

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 9:11 PM
積屍氣冥界波

Cladding updates:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 1:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks for the photos. The siding seems to be taking a long time but it looks good.

It's nice to see they're putting a new storefront on the former Atlantic Photo Supply building. That is going to be the relocated Roots from Spring Garden Place. Mills is going to move into SGP and it sounds like some tenants will be shuffled around in the Mills buildings when they are redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 12:17 PM

These new developments kind of highlight how shabby the commercial buildings and storefronts on Spring Garden are. Two story, wooden buildings, of no particular architectural value. I imagine more developments like what is proposed for Mills will be in the future for the street.

Similar kind of thing goes for Quinpool - good street with lots of interesting stuff, but a bit shabby and could use some new buildings.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Mills is going to move into SGP and it sounds like some tenants will be shuffled around in the Mills buildings when they are redeveloped.
And some time not long after the move, the Mills store will go out of business. New owners with no retail background and a bad location that has never been good for any retailer means you can kiss them goodbye.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
These new developments kind of highlight how shabby the commercial buildings and storefronts on Spring Garden are. Two story, wooden buildings, of no particular architectural value. I imagine more developments like what is proposed for Mills will be in the future for the street.

Similar kind of thing goes for Quinpool - good street with lots of interesting stuff, but a bit shabby and could use some new buildings.
Indeed, It is one of those areas that is a prisoner of its own success. With the healthy commercial rents that one can get for those old 1930s buildings there is no incentive to put something newer and better in those spots. We have seen some change recently but it is a very slow process.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Indeed, It is one of those areas that is a prisoner of its own success. With the healthy commercial rents that one can get for those old 1930s buildings there is no incentive to put something newer and better in those spots. We have seen some change recently but it is a very slow process.
I think eventually the land value will tip things in favour of new construction. There's been interesting proposals and rumours recently. It might be a blessing in the end to have the delay, as the quality of new proposals is much higher than what you generally saw five or ten years ago.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 9:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
In many cases I suspect these buildings are owned by individuals who are happy to collect rent and don't necessarily try to aggressively maximize the return on their properties. I'm sure the TD building brings in a lot more in rent than the old Sock It To Ya building , but not everybody's in a position to carry out a development like that.

I think the street was pretty dumpy a few years ago, but today we are in a better state where there's a mix of old and new and a good pipeline of new developments. I think it's better for development to happen gradually so there's not too much disruption on the street.

One thing I'd like to see is a bit more direction in terms of opening up new commercial areas nearby. Everything from Barrington to Robie should have been planned as commercial for the last 30 years. There is a big opportunity to put medium-sized buildings with retail in front of some of the highrise buildings around Summer Street.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:16 PM

Still working on the cladding, photos by me:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Roots is open:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 5:06 AM
The New Republic

Good project. Are there plans to re-develop the buildings fronting Spring Garden Road?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Good project. Are there plans to re-develop the buildings fronting Spring Garden Road?
I agree with KeithP and Someone123's earlier comments, that it's a shame these older buildings don't disappear because they really stand out (although the new roots store does seem to make that building look nicer).

I suspect the time will come when they will go. There is the old say: good things come to those who wait. Or as I call it in development: He who has bottomless wallet, get new building.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 8:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Roots building is kind of quirky and not so bad, but the ones next to it are really ugly. One looks like it's been sawed in half and is covered in blue vinyl siding. The blue wooden house makes no sense at that location. Perhaps it could be moved like the Morris House. If you let a developer build something of decent size it's reasonable to ask for that level of heritage preservation and money for things like streetscape improvements.

P.S. - it looks COLD there.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 12:05 PM
BANNED

That reddish building in which Roots is now located I used to very much dislike, but it has now been made more attractive with the addition of the white and forest green.

Well done!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 12:12 PM
we built this city

The Roots building could be reworked to be more european... they could facad the of shingle part in brick and open up the inside space.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 2:11 PM

Man, that's ugly. It's hard to believe Roots moved into that spot.

It's interesting to look at that picture though and see that the upstairs area of that building and the small old building right behind it appear to be residential. You don't often think that people live right on SGR like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth