HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 10:40 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Just for fun while rebuilding the top...

The triple-height top floor, mechanics and engineers only, I'm afraid. Some renders don't show an actual roof over this level, so the roof height might actually be 1,224" instead of 1,264'6" (1,270' is to the top of a 4 1/2 foot glass parapet, the 1,358/1,278 figures are wrong. Sorry, can't give you a source on that one).

Last edited by STR; Dec 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 1:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Some renders don't show an actual roof over this level, so the roof height might actually be 1,224" instead of 1,264'6" (1,270' is to the top of a 4 1/2 foot glass parapet).
It would generally go to the top of the parapet, so 1,270' it is.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 2:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Another look at all that mechanical space at the top.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 6:17 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^The cutaway is out of date. There will be one less office floor, and the mechanical floor heights (from top to bottom) will be 3x, 2x, 3x, 2x, 1x. The last elevator bank will go up to the full height of the office click, rather than only Half of them serving the last couple floors. Although, I did make one mistake. If the 1264' level is open, the highest enclosed space moves to the next diamond, so that would be 1251'

Newer cutaway.

One of the cool upper office floors, with 5 different walls in one view.

Last edited by STR; Dec 25, 2010 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 7:27 PM
DENNAB

well hopefully by the time its actually built they can jack the height up to 1362 where it should be... is it really that hard to add a few more feet to mark the original 2WTC?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 7:41 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^Yes it is that hard, and so far, nobody wants the floors they've already planned. Stop asking.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 8:39 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
^Yes it is that hard, and so far, nobody wants the floors they've already planned. Stop asking.
I realize you invest a lot of time in your renders and they are much appreciated, but you act as if you are personally invested in these buildings. As if you designed them or owned them yourself and take a personal offence if anyone criticizes or questions their design.

I believe we all have the right to an opinion on these threads without being summarily told to stop asking questions. Questions are the foundation of a free society and they encourage transparency and openness. Complacency breeds dictatorships. I would think an American would understand this. Freedom of speech is one of the foundations of your country, try to remember that and treat other forumers with the respect you wish them to show you.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 9:10 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Go back to pages 60 & 61. This guy made is opinion abundantly clear, at this point it's kicking a dead horse. There is a place for speculation, and I tolerate a lot more dumb questions than most people around here (you wouldn't believe the crap I get here and on SSC, as well as the email linked to my website), possibly because I took a break and have built up a tolerance, but nobody wants to be beaten over the head over and over with the same damn comment.

And yes, I am an authority on these buildings. I've spent a lot more time analyzing them than you have, and I have a folder full of things that have not, and likely will not, be released to the public. The only other person I'm aware of on this, or any board, with more info is ZenSteelDude. That doesn't mean I have a monopoly on aesthetic opinion, if you think the building is ugly, that's your call. I might chime in with the design philosophy, but you can still disagree with the architect. But saying something factually inaccurate, like how it is trivial to add stories to a building this far into design and construction, when there is no demand for that, is not an opinion. It can be (and is) wrong, and I'll let you know in the hope that maybe you'll understand and stop making the same mistake, making you a smarter commenter, and this board a better place.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 12:15 AM
DENNAB

I wasn't asking you, it was a hypothetical question. Just curious.. How are you involved? and no.. I don't think the building is ugly I think it's F'ing retarted that they build it four feet short of the height of the original WTC.. We had two 1370 foot monsters in lower manhattan and it is a sign of weakness to build such smaller buildings. (even though I really do like the new WTC and think the buildings are good looking the loss of height bothers me)

and furthermore, even though the floors aren't rented out yet doesn't mean the economy won't spring back up eventually. If you build it they will come. even if a longer wait is required. The tower's already been tweaked and it will probably be tweaked again before construction, nothing is really finalized until the steel starts going up (besides the podium)

Merry Xmas by the way everyone!

Feliz navidad a todos

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 1:26 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
I'll admit some of my ignorance on the matter, but I know it can't be that hard to add a few extra feet, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to change the entire buliding around, maybe just the top. I know it doesn't really matter, but the fact that they are so hung up on symbolic numbers then build a tower a few feet shy of the orinial WTC is just beyond silly. Say what you will, but it is.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 2:12 AM

Zapatan, you can't just tack on a few floors to the top of a building. Everything below it is engineered with the current design in mind. The math involved in a structure of this size goes much deeper than you realize.

If you'd like to make the argument that they should have considered the symbolic height much earlier in the design process, fine. But it's a pointless argument and this isn't the thread for it.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 2:37 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Zapatan, you can't just tack on a few floors to the top of a building. Everything below it is engineered with the current design in mind. The math involved in a structure of this size goes much deeper than you realize.

If you'd like to make the argument that they should have considered the symbolic height much earlier in the design process, fine. But it's a pointless argument and this isn't the thread for it.
That was pretty much my argument, it's rather silly they didn't think of it before

I realize the depth, I wasn't necessarily talking about floors, they could just extend that antenna if they really wanted to, to reach the old WTC's height.

Plus they could add a floor or two, they already took one of the office floors away according to STR, and changed the top already why couldn't they do it again? (put it back I mean)

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 3:02 AM

Because it would cost too much/take too much time just to please all 10 people who actually care.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 7:38 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

This is my first post on this particular thread. Forgive me if I havent read evey post about it yet. I love the design, and I hope it is fully built without any delays. I believe this will be one of the finest towers ever built.
Here is my 2 cents worth: Buildings, towers, bridges, ships, ANY large structure for that matter, are built with a HUGE safety margin, so don't tell me that a few feet, or metres, will compromise the structural safety of a design. Natural forces (and human ones as well, of course) are taken into account. These buildings need to withstand HURRICANE force winds, hot summers, freezing winters, etc... if a few feet made that much of a difference, well... I just don't believe it... nothing this large is designed so that a couple of extra floors will cause a major collapse...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 9:32 AM
DENNAB

^Agreed, think of how many skyscrapers have slightly altered their designs just beofre, or even during construction. The WTC towers are no different, look at all the different design phases the towers have passed through over the past decade, who's to say it won't happen again.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 1:18 PM
Frigidus Maximus

What's the big deal about reaching the exact same height as one of the old towers? You've got the FT doing exactly that, at the parapet level, and then going beyond with the spire to 1,776 feet.

All the same arguments critics level at the 1,776 foot figure - sappy symbolism, the facts its not a metric measure, disputes over where to start measuring from, that in the end it won't be exactly the specified height, etc. - can apply equally to a height meant to symbolize the height of the original towers.

The height of 2 WTC will be so very close to the original that I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference from street level. For sheer presence, 1 and 2 WTC essentially ARE the Twin Tower, except not quite as bulky - that's what towers 3 and 4 are for.

They can always literally stick a flagpole up there to mark the exact old WTC height.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 4:17 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
^Agreed, think of how many skyscrapers have slightly altered their designs just beofre, or even during construction. The WTC towers are no different, look at all the different design phases the towers have passed through over the past decade, who's to say it won't happen again.
I can't believe you actually think they are going to alter the design last minute. They've already altered the design a million times! I do not think that they want to change it again. The design is the design. Deal with it. I'm sure they have a good reason for the height. I feel like there is always a post every so often saying that "they should add more floors" or "it should be taller." It's like clockwork.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 5:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Alright people. The height is what it is, no need to keep fighting over what may or may not happen. Just assume it will be what is planned now and leave it at that. There is work happening on the tower now, and that is all any of you need at this point.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 5:44 PM
New Yorker for life

More looks at the top

_

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 8:36 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Last edited by STR; Dec 27, 2010 at 10:10 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction