HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 9:57 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Not to beat a dead horse on the sticks, and I understand the economics. I think the stick projects in Union Station are the mistaken ones, not so much Ball Park and other areas. Union Station could have and should have been all super premium projects. I'm thankful for the quality that's there but rue the missed opportunities.
It pretty much does. Three stick-built projects are the only things that you see within the Union Station neighborhood. One is an affordable housing project (it's debatable why this is even being put up). Another is a grocery store that required DURA funding, another equity partner, and a hell of a lot of time to make it work. The final one was the lifeline project that kept the company that owns all of the land behind Union Station alive- cashflow is what brought the project to fruition.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand why certain projects behind Union Station are stick-builds: asinine affordable housing, subsidized retail, and a cash-flow crunch project. I'm not saying that these projects are the best use of the land that they occupy- asides from 20th & Chestnut since that provides an actual grocery store DT (something that CC will soon be lacking), but I understand why they are stick built.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
It pretty much does. Three stick-built projects are the only things that you see within the Union Station neighborhood. One is an affordable housing project (it's debatable why this is even being put up). Another is a grocery store that required DURA funding, another equity partner, and a hell of a lot of time to make it work. The final one was the lifeline project that kept the company that owns all of the land behind Union Station alive- cashflow is what brought the project to fruition.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand why certain projects behind Union Station are stick-builds: asinine affordable housing, subsidized retail, and a cash-flow crunch project. I'm not saying that these projects are the best use of the land that they occupy- asides from 20th & Chestnut since that provides an actual grocery store DT (something that CC will soon be lacking), but I understand why they are stick built.
This is a good point. I never thought about CityHouse serving as a cash-flow mechanism for the master development, but that makes perfect sense. And honestly, I'd rather they build the whole thing out quickly anyway so that Denver can move on to worrying about other neighborhoods. Having not just one neighborhood like this, but several, is what will ultimately make it a really great city. The stick-build sites can always be revisited in several decades.

There are bad buildings in the heart of almost any great urban neighborhood. They don't detract from the neighborhoods themselves, if you ask me, but serve as long-term redevelopment opportunities. Mixing a few 2040s era buildings (or later, who knows) into the 2010s era buildings might not be the worst thing in the world. I would rather have a stick build that provides home to hundreds of people in the meantime than a parking lot.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:44 AM

mr1138... excellent points.

I don't consider Union Station Neighborhood to be an exclusive destination. The location of the "sticks" is less than prime for that area, not unlike what you'd find a couple of blocks to the east in Cherry Creek.

In contrast to Cherry Creek, for example, the hotels are not higher end; they're more moderte priced point hotels. I assume that will be true of the office space as well (ultimately). Union Station is a very mixed use, mixed price neighborhood which is perfect IMO.

Last edited by TakeFive; May 4, 2015 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 6:21 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
mr1138... excellent points.

I don't consider Union Station Neighborhood to be an exclusive destination. The location of the "sticks" is less than prime for that area, not unlike what you'd find a couple of blocks to the east in Cherry Creek.

In contrast to Cherry Creek, for example, the hotels are not higher end; they're more moderte priced point hotels. I assume that will be true of the office space as well (ultimately). Union Station is a very mixed use, mixed price neighborhood which is perfect IMO.
I think that it will be "mixed price" for a very short amount of time...

Once US neighborhood is fully built out I think prices will rise rapidly in the neighborhood. I truly believe that Union Station will be colorado's "pearl" district (Portland)

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 11:24 PM

Cherry Creek space to be demolished for office-retail complex

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 1:16 AM

Trammell Crow to start on 8-story Cherry Creek apartment complex

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:06 AM

nm

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 2:39 PM
no its not...

Could someone take some photos of The Restoration Hardware building construction? I'm in Colorado Springs. I hear its looking impressive..

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 5:15 AM

Gables Residential buys Cherry Creek parcel, plans more apartments

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 4:10 AM

[QUOTE=Denver Dweller;7098448]http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...f&t=1437110053[/QUOTE

Another nice, major development for Cherry Creek. It will be interesting to see if the huge uptick in apartment population will add a little more youthful, hip edge to Cherry Creek.

For all the high end developments, it lags for "cool" destination bars, restaurants etc.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:04 AM

The renderings location does not make a lick of sense but oh well.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
The renderings location does not make a lick of sense but oh well.
Just curious why you say that, because I think this is actually one of the more accurate renderings I have seen in a while? They don't show the mountains right in the foreground, and the downtown buildings are right where they should be.

The adjacent building between Monroe and Garfield is under construction (actually nearly complete). Google Earth image attached for reference

vs

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...f&t=1437110053
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Just curious why you say that, because I think this is actually one of the more accurate renderings I have seen in a while? They don't show the mountains right in the foreground, and the downtown buildings are right where they should be.

The adjacent building between Monroe and Garfield is under construction (actually nearly complete). Google Earth image attached for reference

[snip]

That's quite the project- per BusinessDen that's 650 total units for the three stages. With all the other Cherry Creek apartment construction that will be a couple thousand new units will have bee added by the end of 2018.

With two nice sized boutique hotels also added, there will be noticeably more density in Cherry Creek.

Next on the list: (1) enhanced public transportation between Union Station and Cherry Creek. Preferably a "free" or subsidized shuttle; (2) a complete redevelopment of the Safeway side of the mall; (3) a complete redevelopment of the Bed and Bath side of the mall. Each of the last two items could include significant housing.

Last edited by Cirrus; Jul 22, 2015 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post

[snip]

Are you blind or what?

Last edited by Cirrus; Jul 22, 2015 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 7:04 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Are you blind or what?
Dude, it makes sense. The little chateau style building is going bye-bye and the apartment is being built on that lot. They omitted the one apartment building on Jackson and the buildings off of Dakota to keep the view of the rendering unobstructed.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; Jul 21, 2015 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Are you blind or what?
Take another hit buddy, it will all make sense.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Are you blind or what?
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 4:37 AM

I knew there might be a good reason to check this thread; I was seriously missing a few good laughs.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

I knew there might be a good reason to check this thread; I was seriously missing a few good laughs.
It is getting a bit contentious!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 10:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Jesus, you guys are all such dicks to each other. I can't believe people still read this site. Can't we all just be nice and friendly - this is the internet after all, that's how it works! All diplomatically-delivered verified facts, all the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West