Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I understand the philosophy behind the tower itself and I really like it. But the spire doesn't really jive with that message. In fact, unless it's meant to represent a fiber optic cable, it actually seems counter to the message. The factories that inspired the exposed framework were pragmatic, and only loosely decorative. The spire kind of takes away from that idea.
That's because you're thinking of it as just a decorative spire, and not what it's intended to be: a 21st-century high-tech homage to an old factory smokestack. When CITC is viewed as a contemporary, vertical, high-tech version of the 19th- and 20th-century industrial factories that used to dominate much of the Philly landscape and economy (which is the stated intent of Foster and Comcast), the design--including its "smokestack" spire--makes more sense.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 1:56 AM
Mr. Technology

Comcast Innovation and Technology Centre
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
That's because you're thinking of it as just a decorative spire, and not what it's intended to be: a 21st-century high-tech homage to an old factory smokestack. When CITC is viewed as a contemporary, vertical, high-tech version of the 19th- and 20th-century industrial factories that used to dominate much of the Philly landscape and economy (which is the stated intent of Foster and Comcast), the design--including its "smokestack" spire--makes more sense.
Fair point. I can rationalize that. I still think it's a stretch. But again, I still love the building all together, with or without the spire.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 10:57 AM

Trucks are rolling in. Construction equipment on site.

Last edited by Flyers2001; Jun 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Holy shit. It's happening. Philly's first supertall!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 12:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
an "homage to an old factory smokestack"? come on. Foster is no post modernist. it's still decorative, just like the spire on the Chrysler building is decorative and counts toward its height.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Holy shit. It's happening. Philly's first supertall!
I have to go feed my meter in a bit, I'll take additional pictures and update this post. There seemed to be a lot of people on site around 7 this morning.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 1:00 PM

The spire is decorative for sure, but it really completes the building. The way offset the core juts up on the west side of the building it would look awkward if left untreated. The spire is an elegant solution to this problem. The fact that it evokes all sorts of relevant imagery is just the icing on the cake.

But enough of that nonsense, holy crap! Trucks on site! Before you know it this thing will be well underway! I haven't heard any news about official groundbreaking yet, but it can't be far off.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 1:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
I have to go feed my meter in a bit, I'll take additional pictures and update this post. There seemed to be a lot of people on site around 7 this morning.
Heck yeah, the calvery has arrived...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 1:49 PM

Quote:

Do you think that they're starting today?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 2:05 PM
Chairman

Something is about to get started. I would have thought the asphalt would be removed before any work would took place. In addition, the pics do not indicate any earth moving equipment. Did anyone see any I-beams onsite? Perhaps sheeting and shoring system is about to commence?

-sb

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 2:08 PM

Sorry guys, I might have jumped the gun. It seems that the activity on site might be related to work at "The Sterling" again. I asked a gentlemen on site what the activity was for and he basically gave me "I am here for the crane." Here's some more photo's of activity, but I beleive its for neighboring building.

BTW, 1900 is coming along with ground floor windows and some apartment staging as you can see inside.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 2:14 PM
Chairman

Besides asking, the second set of pics clearly indicate this crane is to lift something quite heavy such as counter weights of a crane; especially the second pic from the bottom of Flyers2001's post.

False alarm. =/

-sb

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
an "homage to an old factory smokestack"? come on. Foster is no post modernist. it's still decorative, just like the spire on the Chrysler building is decorative and counts toward its height.
Foster, himself, referred it as "an industrial building" (starting at 1:07):

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/vid...clipId=9733724

And Inga Saffron, taking a cue from the comments of both Foster and Comcast CEO Brian Roberts, noted its roots in "factory lofts of the early 20th century":

Quote:
Think of the towering waterfall of glass that was unveiled Wednesday as a skyscraper version of the great, light-filled factory lofts of the early 20th century
http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-1...llest-building

I recall other direct references by both Foster and Roberts to the industrial and factory inspirations for the building's design during video interviews on the day the building was announced back in January, but I can't locate them at the moment.

Last edited by Philly Fan; Jun 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Foster, himself, referred it as "an industrial building" (starting at 1:07):

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/vid...clipId=9733724

And Inga Saffron, taking a cue from the comments of both Foster and Comcast CEO Brian Roberts, noted its roots in "factory lofts of the early 20th century":

http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-1...llest-building

I recall other direct references by both Foster and Roberts to the industrial and factory inspirations for the building's design during video interviews on the day the building was announced back in January, but I can't locate them at the moment.
definitely not going to get into a pissing match here, but it is an industrial building in that a 21st century industry does its business there. being rooted in factory lofts refers to overall design; light-filled spaces for people to do their work. modern buildings with roots in older building types does not make them postmodern per my comment.
nowhere does anyone say anything about an homage to smoke stacks. that would be a postmodern sensibility.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
nowhere does anyone say anything about an homage to smoke stacks. that would be a postmodern sensibility.
Well, I said it.

It may have been more subliminal on Foster's part.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Something is about to get started. I would have thought the asphalt would be removed before any work would took place. In addition, the pics do not indicate any earth moving equipment. Did anyone see any I-beams onsite? Perhaps sheeting and shoring system is about to commence?
I saw this activity earlier today. This is the second time they have brought in this crane for the sterling. I am surprised they are doing this multiple times because its very expensive to rent this type of crane. Obviously they are working with Liberty to coordinate all this before the digging starts. When you see D'angelo brothers equipment on site you will know work is really beginning.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 5:52 PM

Getting tired of seeing false alarms.:-\

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 2:31 AM

For what it's worth

I drove by the site around 2:30pm stopped and talked to a worker on the site.

He said they must get the work done to put equipment on the roof of the Sterling by this Friday because the Comcast site excavation will start next Monday.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
For what it's worth

I drove by the site around 2:30pm stopped and talked to a worker on the site.

He said they must get the work done to put equipment on the roof of the Sterling by this Friday because the Comcast site excavation will start next Monday.
Woot! Hope he's right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture