HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 2:28 AM
I am a typical

If this is what Newfoundland's women look like, I feel sorry for Newfoundland's heterosexual men.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 2:36 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 11:33 PM

Ok, I've got to ask you guys, what is the big deal with Big Brother Canada? I just watched about 10 minutes of it as the people in this thread made it seem like it was different from the drivel of the American version and I came back disappointed, but not surprised. Unless the American version has really changed, it didn't seem all that different from that version of Big Brother.

It's still a bunch of stupid mind games, revenge, deceit, and trickery. Are we supposed to applaud and be entertained by a bunch of nitwits who are just out to get one another? And are these people really deserving of $100,000 plus a furniture shopping spree and a free vacation after all that they've done on the show? It's ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 11:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh, you can't enjoy it unless you think of it as a really elaborate game show. It's interesting from a psychological/cultural/regional perspective.

How will these people get along? How are they similar? How are they different? What culture clashes come up? Etc. It's very interesting in that way - it's like people watching only you know who they are.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 12:03 AM
sick transit, gloria

A friend of a friend helps produce Big Brother Canada. I had a discussion with her about it at a bar a while back - had no idea it was so big in some circles haha.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 12:23 AM
I am a typical

I'm surprised it still exists to be honest. Is Survivor still on?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:50 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Poor Allison is in for a rude awakening when she realizes what goes in Newfoundland is not without consequences everywhere, especially on national television . I learned that the hard way in the Maritimes.

http://www.bigbrothercanada2.com/all...drew-spoilers/

Also, if niwell's comment wasn't enough, the general grammar of that post makes me embarrassed about the general type of people watching this show as much as I am this season.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:02 AM

Jeez, sorry I didn't reply to your reply sooner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh, you can't enjoy it unless you think of it as a really elaborate game show. It's interesting from a psychological/cultural/regional perspective.

How will these people get along? How are they similar? How are they different? What culture clashes come up? Etc. It's very interesting in that way - it's like people watching only you know who they are.
I guess I can see that. I can also see it's easy to get wrapped up in it, but ack, it just seems so very silly to me. It's all about drama queens causing sabotage, it seems, and I just can't get behind such nonesense. The contestants act like it's more real than it is, which I guess is normal for reality TV.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 5:13 AM
ARTchitecture

For any closeted guys that are reading this thread (and therefor are likely too afraid to comment) I recommend watching the show Shameless (US version). There's a lot of stuff always going on in the show, but one of the story-lines is basically the coming out story of one of the main characters, Ian Gallagher, and him falling in love with the most closeted Russian gangster guy you'd ever possibly meet, Mickey Milkovich. The 4th season basically runs into Mickey's coming out story, since his father would rather have him dead than gay. Even as a man that has been out of the closet for nearly a decade, I find the story really moving and inspirational in a way, even though it's only TV.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:51 PM

Wow, so many gay people here, and we all share a common passion. That's great news!! In my circle of friends, I have 2 close friends, they are gay as well, and all 3 of us are pure fanatics of demography, architecture, urban life, skyscrapers, SimCity and whatnot.

Since I'm planning to move back to Toronto in the next couple of months, It would be a dream for me to find roommates that are as passionate as me about urban life, urban development, skyscrapers, etc. That would be awesome!!!

IM not the typical gay man though. I don't really hang out in «gay villages«, I'm not into the whole club scene and it's just not my cup of tea. I respect it, I can see why so many gays enjoy it, and it's fine, but it's just not me. I'm a regular guy, having a regular life, and it just happens that I'm gay. But hey, who am I to judge, right?

I can say that when I used to hang out in gay clubs (back in my early 20s), I did enjoy it. I'm now into my mid-30s, that «gay life« of mine is a thing of the past! I must say that if I would compare the gay village of Montreal VS Toronto, despite being a «smaller city«, Montreal has the best looking and diverse gay village. I remember when I used to live in Toronto, I could not believe how small the village was. But I'm not the best person to comment on that since I don't really hang out in clubs (hetero or gay).

Glad to be part of this new community on SSP.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Welcome to the party. Or, you know, backyard BBQ if that's more your thing.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 5:17 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannickTO View Post
Wow, so many gay people here, and we all share a common passion. That's great news!! In my circle of friends, I have 2 close friends, they are gay as well, and all 3 of us are pure fanatics of demography, architecture, urban life, skyscrapers, SimCity and whatnot.

Since I'm planning to move back to Toronto in the next couple of months, It would be a dream for me to find roommates that are as passionate as me about urban life, urban development, skyscrapers, etc. That would be awesome!!!

IM not the typical gay man though. I don't really hang out in «gay villages«, I'm not into the whole club scene and it's just not my cup of tea. I respect it, I can see why so many gays enjoy it, and it's fine, but it's just not me. I'm a regular guy, having a regular life, and it just happens that I'm gay. But hey, who am I to judge, right?

I can say that when I used to hang out in gay clubs (back in my early 20s), I did enjoy it. I'm now into my mid-30s, that «gay life« of mine is a thing of the past! I must say that if I would compare the gay village of Montreal VS Toronto, despite being a «smaller city«, Montreal has the best looking and diverse gay village. I remember when I used to live in Toronto, I could not believe how small the village was. But I'm not the best person to comment on that since I don't really hang out in clubs (hetero or gay).

Glad to be part of this new community on SSP.
That seems to be pretty common in our nerdy circles, I'm not into the gay scene or gay stereotypes either, neither are a couple others I have talked to. I feel like generally us SSP nerds are probably more prone to the pub scene, including, but not limited to, tons of beer

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Welcome to the party. Or, you know, backyard BBQ if that's more your thing.

hehe, that's my kinda thing!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That seems to be pretty common in our nerdy circles, I'm not into the gay scene or gay stereotypes either, neither are a couple others I have talked to. I feel like generally us SSP nerds are probably more prone to the pub scene, including, but not limited to, tons of beer
I wouldn't say I'm a nerd either to be honest LOL ... but I prefer the «nerd« stereotype over the «gay« stereotype. In my opinion of course!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:35 AM
ARTchitecture

LMAO! Signal, are you watching Big Brother? I love Adel more and more every episode! He's so fun.

EDIT: Wow, and I totally hate Andrew now. Hope he goes home. He's a muscle bound bombshell, but he's a shitty person, and he doesn't deserve to be in the house anymore.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Apr 3, 2014 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:40 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

One of these cities (the last on this screen grab) is not like the others... I love it!

They didn't even get the name right, but come on anyway, love!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:51 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And, in actual important news, Nova Scotia will now cover the cost of sex reassignment surgery for its transgender residents. I believe this makes Nova Scotia the first jurisdiction in the federation to do this.

Sex reassignment surgery funding begins in Nova Scotia

Provincial government makes good on promised surgery funding following last year's about-face

Quote:
Nova Scotians will now have access to funding for sex reassignment surgery as the provincial government makes good on a promise it made last summer.

The province announced in June it intended to begin providing coverage for the procedure.

"Transgender Nova Scotians face unique challenges in the health-care system, as they do in life," said Health and Wellness Minister Leo Glavine in a press release.

"I hope this will help those for whom sex reassignment surgery is an important part of their transition."

The funding covers eight types of sex reassignment surgeries, all related to the removal and reconstruction of external and internal organs or characteristics.

"Gender confirming surgery is an important part of a successful transition for many transgender people," said Kate Shewan, vice-chair of the Nova Scotia Rainbow Action Project.

"These are medically-necessary procedures and have been proven to improve health, well-being and quality of life."
http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/nov...tory/1.2594418

Come on, Newfoundland and Labrador! How long are you going to let our neighbours be ahead of us?

If you want a better understanding of what this will mean for transgender Nova Scotians on a personal level, check this out. It's a fundraiser for a local St. John's transgender man who is trying to raise money to have his breasts removed. Heartbreaking.

Quote:
The simple fact of the matter is, I don't have years to wait for this surgery.

Every day the pain from binding my chest with too-small compression shirts grows.

I wake up every morning and am filled with mild shock and a good helping of despair when I look down. My body just doesn't match up with who I am inside.

So I suffer. I suffer through the pain of the too-small compression shirt. The angry, red marks it causes. The compression of my ribcage that affects my breathing. The pull and hunch that makes my back cry out after only half of my eight hour workday. Even with all that, it does a pretty poor job of disguising my chest. I still look like I have breasts – just smaller ones.

I suffer through the mental anguish caused by such an incongruence. To me, the chest I developed the first time I went through puberty is as out-of-place and disconnected as a bicycle growing out of my side would be.

So I'm asking for your help. Help me stand up straight and hold my shoulders back with pride, instead of hunching over in shame.

If you have made it this far, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for listening to me. Even if you can't make a contribution to the campaign, sharing the link to help spread the word is so important.
http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...raight-/149923

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:55 AM
ARTchitecture

So I think in the next Big Brother Canada, since there are 15 houseguests, they should have 1 from each province, 1 more from each of the 4 largest provinces, and one from one of the territories or Northern Ontario. That way, the chances of people knowing each other (like Allison and Kenny do) is limited/eliminated, and cultural differences could and would play a much bigger role. So far in the series, there hasn't been a single houseguest from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward Island, Northern Ontario, or any of the three territories. In the first season, there were 6 from the Toronto CMA alone, and 3 from the Edmonton CMA in this season... kinda waters down the pot a bit, I think. I wonder what their candidate selection process is.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 11:50 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah.

This season is basically Big Brother Newfoundland. Did you see they even visited Kenny, Jon, and Allison's families on last night's episode? They didn't do that for the other house guests. It was good to see that the families looked like the Real Housewives, though... I was afraid they'd be much more rural but Kenny's mom, in particular, was gorgeous and sophisticated for her age.

"He's not getting enough hugs in that house."

I'm sure their ratings are much higher this season than last. Anything with a Newfoundlander on it, we watch, we support. So with three on there, it has to getting a majority of Newfoundland's television viewers every night its on. Too bad it's not on NTV because then we'd know. They share their local ratings all the time. They just announced the other day, for example, that Family Feud is now the second-highest rated game show in the province, ahead of Wheel of Fortune and behind Jeopardy.

I'm curious to see if Kenny, Jon, and Allison are working together secretly. Adel is convinced they are. He even warned Neda he say Jon and Allison peck on the lips and say, "Newfoundland Pride!" into the cameras when they were drunk. But in the DR, all they ever talk about is how much they want to get rid of each other. So... who knows.

As for one from each province... it'd be fair, yeah. Not sure how popular it'd be, though. I'd like to see more French to start.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:14 PM
ARTchitecture

They do family visits every season, for multiple houseguests. Last year they did Emmett and Jillian (Nova Scotia showmance) together, Peter and Alec (The Shield alliance) together, and a few more. They will definitely be doing more this year. This week is a double-eviction week, and from what I hear, Heather won HOH, so it's likely she'll put two weaker players on the block from the First Five, probably Rachelle and Allison, or Rachelle and Sarah.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada