HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
And hopefully open past 4 pm! They could call it Bleu and live off of Rouge's overflow!
Good one. Only if it's a lot cheaper than La Rouge.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 4:36 AM
not a NIMBY

Tonight's adventure in dining was at the Tudor Rose in Panorama Hills. I have some francophone friends from Montreal who live in Panorama so they suggested we go there for dinner as they have become big fans of the food and they like the english pub ambience. So there we were, 2 francophones and one anglophone from Montreal at an english pub in suburban Calgary! Our waitress was also from Montreal.
The pub opened in August in a new shopping plaza, at a cost of $3 mil apparently.
It is quite a big place and was mainly full at dinner time with all (adult) ages. Later on, it is a younger drinking crowd. The kitchen closes at 1 am and the pub at 3 on weekends.
The menu offers standard pub grub at standard prices - not cheap but not pricey either.
We all enjoyed our dinners and Stella was enjoyable as always. Being a pub, of course they have a wide selection of beer on tap and by the bottle, but I'm stuck on Stella when I'm in a beer mood.
1110 Panatella Blvd NW

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
I'm pretty sure they are their own roaster. Two pounds of beans a year apart is not exactly a reliable sample size to judge, imo.
Perhaps, but if a company cares about their product, then their quality control should be good enough to prevent putting out product that is below their standard. Most retail won't get a second chance if the consumer isn't happy the first time. The first time I had their coffee (when they started roasting) I thought it was pretty good, but there was better to be had. This last time, however, I was really impressed with it. I'll pick up more when I'm in their neighbourhood, until then, I still really enjoy Latitute 49 and Transcend (who will ship a fresh pound to your house for $15).

copying this reply to the Food section as I'm off topic.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 7:01 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^I'm just saying two bags in spread over a twelve month period is not a large enough sample to determine if beans were below a standard. Anyway...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 2:14 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Just have to announce that I'm one of the first in Canada to have partaken in that sacred American delicacy, the KFC Double Down. While there wasn't a motherfucking syrup nugget, it was still damned good.

For penance, I am only allowed to eat spinach and other fresh greens for the rest of the day.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 4:13 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Hey! I thought the Double Down wasn't coming until tomorrow!

Can't wait. Love over-the-top junk food.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 5:35 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post

Me too! I thought it was going to be good election-return-watching food. But I saw a place with signs up, and lo and behold, they're selling them.

Turns out a buddy snagged one on Thursday; places have been selling them ahead of schedule. I'm off my high horse about getting it early now.

Next up: find a calorie count for one. It has to be over 1000, but who knows. Maybe it's light chicken and bacon and cheese and sauce.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Me too! I thought it was going to be good election-return-watching food. But I saw a place with signs up, and lo and behold, they're selling them.

Turns out a buddy snagged one on Thursday; places have been selling them ahead of schedule. I'm off my high horse about getting it early now.

Next up: find a calorie count for one. It has to be over 1000, but who knows. Maybe it's light chicken and bacon and cheese and sauce.
According to KFC's site its 460 for the grilled and 540 for the original recipe. The even more scary thing is the sodium content, which is around 1400mg (recommended daily maximum intake is 2400mg, so its over half the maximum and even over the recommended average intake of around 1000mg)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 6:31 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:

I though so too but a co-worker of mine had it on like Wed or Thurs of last week, not sure how exactly.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 6:43 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

That's nothing, I ate at Five Guys in Philly a couple times this summer, it is one of those cities that requires calories of menu items to be published on the menu.
Regular Cheeseburger, small fries and a rootbeer=1950 calories.

If the Fives Guys up here are comparable in quality to the Mid-Atlantic locations, we're all in deep trouble when they open in Calgary.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 2:40 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Five Guys is opening in Deerfoot Meadows.

I can't believe a cheeseburger, fries and soft drink are 1950 calories. An entire Wendy's triple cheese is 970 calories and that's 3/4 lb of meat. A "small" fries is 340 calories... so using that as an example you're getting 600+ calories in a fucking root beer?!?! Skip the soft drinks and you'll lose weight.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 6:04 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^If you're eating at Five Guys,weight loss probably isn't high in the agenda.

Having eating at both Wendy's and Five Guys, your numbers look well within the realm of reality to me.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 6:12 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Five Guys and Fatburger at DFM? Whoa.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 8:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Five Guys is opening in Deerfoot Meadows.

I can't believe a cheeseburger, fries and soft drink are 1950 calories. An entire Wendy's triple cheese is 970 calories and that's 3/4 lb of meat. A "small" fries is 340 calories... so using that as an example you're getting 600+ calories in a fucking root beer?!?! Skip the soft drinks and you'll lose weight.
Yeah, or treat a meal like this as exactly that - a treat. Don't have a full breakfast, eat that for lunch, then follow it up with a 16oz steak for dinner.

After my Double Down, I ate nothing but salad and fruit for dinner. It's not really that hard to indulge if you just pay attention.

1950 calories isn't that much if it follows a full day on the slopes.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:11 PM

I'm kind of excited because Coppeneur chocolate is opening a little shop on Stephen Avenue, steps from Centre Street. They're one of my favourite chocolate companies. Saw the sign of their impending store opening in the window today.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:35 AM
Here and There

A new breakfast place opened up in the downtown area and it is good! Maybe it will take some pressure off of (f-sakes) over easy and diner deluxe??

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:43 AM
effete latte-lifter

so Rusty, I know you had one, what's your take on the DD?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:45 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
A new breakfast place opened up in the downtown area and it is good! Maybe it will take some pressure off of (f-sakes) over easy and diner deluxe??
Dude, info please? Also there's that new place on 10th street in Kensington where Fiasco was, anyone been there? It's advertising itself specifically as a breakfast place.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 6:45 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Cora's? I was told it was at 4th ave & 5 st sw or maybe it is 5th ave and 4th st?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 6:47 AM
effete latte-lifter

Oh yeah, I saw that. I have two very close friends who moved here from Quebec City in 2004, and when the first Cora's opened way down on 130 av SE they took me there as soon as they could. It's pretty good, like a healthy Denny's. I still prefer the usual suspects, but it's a good option.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation