HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 3:58 AM

Blocked from where???

Not from here

or from here

or from here

or from here

Oh it would block your view...so it shouldn't be built.

Being blocked from one vantage point doesn't mean it will be blocked. Every building in Manhattan is blocked from an angle.

Besides, is 1 WTC any better looking than 2 WTC? I don't really think so. 1 WTC isn't a Picasso. What significance does 1 WTC have that being "blocked" by 2 WTC would be so bad? It looks better being "blocked" in that photo you posted.. it makes the city look bigger. The more clusters of super-tall buildings Manhattan has, the better.

Last edited by 599GTO; Jan 30, 2012 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 3:32 PM

Apparently they're going higher than at-grade with this one!

Looks like new above-grade steel on the east side of 2WTC...

Oops already mentioned a few pages back, but here's the photo anyway...

From Earthcam:

Last edited by BostonBuild; Jan 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 5:48 PM
World Machine

Nice to see some steel erected.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 5:57 PM

I am still curious why those Financial and Law Firms haven't moved back to the World Trade Center yet. There used to be a lot before 9/11.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 6:19 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Law Firms
Many have migrated to Midtown - however, keep an eye out for news out of the WFC. As leases expire over the next couple of years, you might see some firms jump across the street (the WFC has multiple law firm tenants).

As for financials . . . we've been over this. Many brand name financials are laying off right now, so the need for new space (while technically still a need) is not in the cards financially for some of these firms right now. Many of which are considering, or have already considered, staying put in their current space. UBS, SocGen and BNY Mellon to name a few. Citi, Morgan Stanley and Merrill are examples are firms that are considering renewing their preexisting space.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 6:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
I am still curious why those Financial and Law Firms haven't moved back to the World Trade Center yet. There used to be a lot before 9/11.
Some are.

Quote:
Trade Tower Is Set to Add Prime Tenant, a Law Firm
By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Published: January 26, 2012

Chadbourne & Parke, a 110-year-old law firm, is close to a deal to move to the 1,776-foot skyscraper under construction at ground zero, from its headquarters at Rockefeller Center.
Related

If the deal is completed, it would represent a return to Chadbourne’s roots in Lower Manhattan after a 40-year sojourn in Midtown.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/ny...firm.html?_r=1

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
You guys will keep saying that, but it seems like that none of you knows that if Two World Trade Center was built now it would block One World Trade Center. It would destroy the views of One World Trade Center especially in Brooklyn Bridge Park where the view would be blocked. This is one of the worse things that can happen especially since the park is my favorite place to view One World Trade Center in the Lower Manhattan skyline. The only good things that would come out of this is you can see Two World Trade Center built at the park.
Every building is blocked at a certain angle. I remember at certain angles one twin tower would block the other and you can only see one of the twin towers. And besides, 1 WTC won't be completely blocked. Its spire and the top floors will still be clearly visible above the shorter 2 WTC even from Brooklyn. At many angles though towers 1 and 2 will look gorgeous next to each other, two sisters rather than two twins. Sorry it won't look as great from your vantage point in Brooklyn.

If anything I don't like that Beekman Tower blocking the view of 1 WTC from Queens. That tower should have been built at another location, such as Midtown, where it will blend in with the other high rises there. Beekman is jutting out like a giant silver middle finger where it is, and distracting from the Brooklyn Bridge. But of course we can't change that. So what I like to do is just accept things as they are and learn to see the good from it. 2 WTC is still the most beautiful of the four towers, in my humble opinion.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:01 PM

earth cam vantage rendering?

Anybody have any renderings from the same vantage point as the earth cam? I would like to see what the new steel is supposed to be when finished

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:02 PM

ground floor concrete

They just have that last little corner of concrete....whats next after the concrete? steel of course, but what else?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 12:01 AM

The Roof

All this new structural steel is for the roof. Some areas go a couple of floors above the ground level, but the roof is being constructed now. Sorry to deflate some hopes, but this is the truth.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriseologist View Post
All this new structural steel is for the roof. Some areas go a couple of floors above the ground level, but the roof is being constructed now. Sorry to deflate some hopes, but this is the truth.
What are you talking about, this building is only being built to the lower ground levels. It won't rise until there is a tenant signed and financing obtained. Everyone has known this "truth" for a long time now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriseologist View Post
The official story for both 2 and 3 WTC is their podiums will be built and full construction will only continue if sufficient tenants are found. If what you said was the case they would have announced it, but they plan on building this tower to full height given the triggers are met.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Stop complaining. At least we are getting something. Look at One and Four World Trade Center. They are being built while Seven World Trade Center is already done. All you people do is complain. You don't live in NYC right? I hope you aren't one of those ignorant people that believe the World Trade Center is still a hole in the ground and that Lower Manhattan still looks like what it looked like after 9/11.
The Chinese planned on building three supertalls going back to the mid-90's, relax. If this is a matter of national pride for you, take comfort in the fact that China is over-investing to all hell right now, and a lot of the central planning has been misguided, if not completely laughable. Sure, they've built the two largest malls in the world, but they have a 1% occupancy rate! They've created the biggest national skyscraper boom in history, but outside of Beijing and Shanghai, their occupancy rates are not so good.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:01 PM

Ain't it funny how the most beautiful of the four skyscrapers in this complex is being built last...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:48 PM

saving the best for last

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Yes, certainly the most striking and unique. I'm not at all happy that the complex appears uncertain. Not a very satisfying result if these towers are not all built. So much for rebuilding with pride and honor, for creating a symbol to represent the completion of the full recovery of the city after 9/11. It would be a great failure I think if these towers are not done in the next 10 years or so

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:27 PM

Mr. Silverstein knows that--to state it bluntly--he might not have a lot of time left...if you catch my drift.
Rhetorically speaking, then, who *wouldn't* want to root for a chap whose last act in his position before he retires (or dies in the saddle....which might be likely) is to fulfill his promise to complete the vision that so many others want to see finished in due course.
I for one predict financing and tenant occupation sooner than later. There's got to be at least one or two people out in this world of 7 billion who are sitting on a mountain of money and see how comparatively well NYC is doing in the midst of this economy.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:35 PM

I agree with you JayPro. Although I'm mostly a realist I am optimistic about this site. I think sufficient tenants will eventually sign within a few years and the entire complex will be complete before 2020. I also agree with Aquablue in that it annoys me how all the buildings don't have set completion dates and that two of them haven't even been financed yet. I think what drives this project is the desire to rebuild above the economic and financial needs, and I have confidence that the people behind this, although facing a lot of obstacles, will get it done eventually.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 11:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
So much for rebuilding with pride and honor, for creating a symbol to represent the completion of the full recovery of the city after 9/11. It would be a great failure I think if these towers are not done in the next 10 years or so
Maybe you should start a fund, and raise money to get these towers built. Or find tenants - god knows Silverstein hasn't been trying - to get things financed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiomals View Post
I think what drives this project is the desire to rebuild above the economic and financial needs, and I have confidence that the people behind this, although facing a lot of obstacles, will get it done eventually.
Don't forget that Silverstein has a lease from the Port Authority for this space. Although technically "new", this is just replacement for space that was here already. It's simply a matter of putting in place what was there before. But things aren't done the way they were four decades ago. The redevelopment of Times Square, with smaller towers, took longer than this is taking, and there weren't nearly as many obstacles.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 2:49 AM

I think a lot of good news is gonna happen this year for all of the wtc site, including 2 and 3 wtc. 1wtc will top out, and the economy looks to be improving, so by the end of the year, there will be tenants for at least 3wtc, and if its really good we'll get the best one started quicker than we expected

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction