HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 10:39 PM
Eurosceptic

bandwidth issues resolved

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 5:01 PM

Awesome. Now I know where I really would go to escape.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 12:58 AM
Closed account

That was an amazing photo thread. I was up close to there once in Tiadaghton state forest once for work. That is the most beautiful section of PA. Now I got to check out Renovo.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 5:11 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

No wonder PA is my favorite state! Urban cities to amazing small isolated towns surrounded by wonderful scenery. Thanks for posting those photos Evergrey!!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 3:50 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Fun tour Eg. There's so many of these cool little towns in PA. Thanks for bringing so many of them to us.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 7:31 PM
Unpolitically Correct

Killer stuff, Evergrey.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 2:36 PM
America's Hometown

Love the mountain views...but that town just scares me.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 10:48 PM
Beer Stampede

Nice work, Evergrey!! It's amazing to find treasures like these deep in Appalachia!! You would think that everything would be more spread out being a small town and all, but looking at some of those pictures, you would have thought you were in St. Louis or Pittsburgh!!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:34 PM

The great PA documentation continues

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 4:52 PM

Awesome photo thread. Love the pic of the main street across from the railroad with the green hills and blue sky.

But I'm surprised that the downtown is so vacant. If this town is really in the middle of nowhere, you would think it would have a more thriving downtown. Where do these people go out to drink, get their haircut, visit a doctor, go to the bank, shop, etc.? I understand only 1,000 people but these people have to eat somehow...and lord knows they have to drink! Has a Super Wal-Mart sucked the life out of this tiny town?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 12:58 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Awesome photo thread. Love the pic of the main street across from the railroad with the green hills and blue sky.

But I'm surprised that the downtown is so vacant. If this town is really in the middle of nowhere, you would think it would have a more thriving downtown. Where do these people go out to drink, get their haircut, visit a doctor, go to the bank, shop, etc.? I understand only 1,000 people but these people have to eat somehow...and lord knows they have to drink! Has a Super Wal-Mart sucked the life out of this tiny town?
The nearest Wal-Mart is 45 minutes away.

Renovo does have the bare necessities, for the most part. There are two smallish but full-service grocers (Weis and Lingle's Neighborhood Market)... a couple banks... a small medical center... a couple bars... PA liquor store... etc. One probably has to travel to Lock Haven, Williamsport or State College to do any real shopping for things like clothes, furniture, etc. With only a couple thousand people within a 25-mile radius of Renovo, there isn't a whole lot of economic incentive to operate retail/service businesses.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 1:43 PM

Your last sentence makes perfect sense and I fully understand that. It's just that I couldn't tell from the pics that the town had any of the bare necessities such as bars, grocery, doctor, bank, hardware, etc. Nothing elaborate, just the necessities. The main street looks dead. Are the "bare necessities" in town?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:30 AM
Closed account

You're a excellent photographer. You could be a professional

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 5:32 PM
Paradise Island

Fantastic thread! It is amazing how many photogenic little towns Pennsylvania has tucked into its nooks and crannies.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 5:57 PM

This is an incredible town! I'm fascinated.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 7:07 AM

Beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 7:45 PM
Has been

My first reaction was, "not another Renevo thread". I clicked anyway and I'm glad I did. Nice work.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 12:25 AM
Ex Houstonian

Hopefully this and towns like it can survive in the future. Its so beautiful and lots of great residential architecture there, which you dont see much of in small towns outside of the east coast.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 5:17 AM
International

Fascinating tour! Recently, PA's small, hidden mountain towns have been a huge source of intrigue. Such beautiful natural topography! That, and the unique Pennsylvanian architecture vernacular. I hope to visit them sometime. Shame about the church demolishing that school, though...churches are at the top of the list when it comes to crimes against urbanity and architecture.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:34 PM

Thumbs up My hometown

First of all I want to say this is a pretty good article on the town I call home. But I want to set the record straight about a few things..basically the assumptioms that are presumed in the comments. There is a grocery store, 2 "dollar stores", many restaurants, a few mom and pop shops and of course several bars. The people live there because it is a great town and the community is like no other...when something happens to someone the support system is unimagineable...people rally together to help strangers in their time of need like I have never seen before. You can walk through the town and know just about everyone's name and no doubt walk into the gorcery store and be in there way longer than expected because you stopped to talk to several people about their familes and day to day events.

The people do work, they drive the long twisty, dangerous mountain roads to get to their places of employment...some up to an hour in one direction. Why do they stay and not move?? Well the answer is simple...the town is beautiful, the surrounding areas are amazing....only people that were raised in a small town would know what it is like to come from a place like this and I wouldn't expect anybody else to understand it...I have since moved the 28 miles to Lock Haven...but I still call Renovo home and someday will move back there...I visit several times a week to see my family and the drive there is just amazing. Thank you for sharing this story of our town. Not everyone from small towns are hillbillies...just normal people that love the simplicity of life.

(Only thing the parking lot in front of the church was not where the school was...that was where the old hospital was...the school was on the other side of the church where there is another parking lot. )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos