HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I feel this design fits best in LA anyway. While I don't love the location I understand from a logistics point of view it's good. In one generation LA has gone from being a cultural joke to one of the world's great centers of art.
What don't you like about the location? I think its perfect.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
New York hotelier Stephen Brandman and developer Jake Chetrit are opening two landmarked Beaux Arts hotels in Los Angeles under the Journal Hotel collection.

“We will be overseeing the opening and operating of both the Trinity Hotel and Hotel Clark in downtown LA,” said Brandman, chief executive of Journal Hotels, which counts The Standard Highline Hotel in New York, among others as part of their group.

The historic 10-story, 183-room Trinity Hotel, once one of the largest buildings of its kind in the US, officially opened in 1914. The renovated hotel, which is slated to open by year’s end, features a new rooftop pool with downtown LA views. It also has a 2,000-seat auditorium that has been fully restored. In addition, there’s a 150-seat restaurant with an outdoor courtyard and four bars, including a duplex lounge with a private, alleyway entrance.

The renovated Hotel Clark at 11 stories and 347 rooms has a newly developed rooftop pool with a restaurant attached to it. There will also be a street-level restaurant that seats 110 people, and three bars. Hotel Clark is slated to open next fall.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What don't you like about the location? I think its perfect.
Read my second post on this subject. For such a dramatic form I can think of a number of more appealing locations than stuck behind a bunch of existing landmarks and non descript suburban apartments. For example overlooking Westlake or atop a small hill. But all this is an exercise in wishful thinking. It’ll be great addition no matter.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:52 PM

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram...34912768_n.jpg

Mojeda, Can we update the first page to include this proposal? Also, what’s the latest update 4th&Hill, Alexan, 11th&Olive? ConstructDTLA, it’s been a year since you blessed us with this chart; can we update it and what support do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post

And here is my personal list, which I will keep updating and re-uploading.

Current as of March 21st 2017:

2012-2018 Downtown LA Cycle (Proposed Towers) by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
This is great for downtown!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Trinity by end of the year is amazing! But Hotel Clark by Fall of next year? That one should be ready to open in 3 months! Either way, I'll believe this when I see rooms ready to book.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
But Hotel Clark by Fall of next year? That one should be ready to open in 3 months!
not based on what I see when I go past it.....unless the owner & new management operators are going for the prison theme look. Most of the alcoves of the first level of the clark are nothing but a wall of steel bars, like what's shown in this video taken last yr....not much has changed since then.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Hmm...Star Wars memorabilia is great art? OK, maybe. I'm happy L.A. got the museum, but what exactly will be in the museum? Will there be Indiana Jones stuff in there too?
Since the Star Wars/Lucasfilms franchise is now owned by Disney, I would love to see a lot of Disney film stuff in there too, not just Star Wars. Yes, I know SF has a "Disney Family Museum" in the Presidio, but it isn't that big. Could this can be a more comprehensive film museum, at least Disney and Lucas films?
........Seeing how I had the "Cali" name first, can you change yours so people wont thing we're the same person?

This museum is going to be huge for LA, not only architecturally which in my opinion will be one of the most interesting structures probably in all of the USA once completed, but also because of the massive cultural presence Star Wars has globally. Its literally a galactic Novela if you will. Tourists already flock to LA for many reasons, this will sure become a tourist hot spot on its own and not just with fanboys and girls but kids, older people who grew up with star wars and so on. Seeing how it will be next to the center stage of the Olympics, I'm sure the global cameras will pan to it continuously.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:20 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

5-OH Facade

The Glass/Facade is now being installed at the 5-OH

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:14 PM

A lot of what is caught on this video didn't exist too many yrs ago.....a sign of how far things have come in dtla. But also.....as what one of the major executives at the new nomad hotel on 7th at Olive said about dt several wks ago....it's still not quite all there.

that's true too.....give it time.

I just don't want to see a dry spell again as occurred after the last building boom went bust around 2008. I still remember the yr when construction barricades went up around the two large parking lots where the oceanwide proj is now rising....only to see them eventually taken down & the site turned back to a parking lot.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:48 AM

Have Oceanwide & 820 So. Olive (Onni) topped out yet? Must be pretty close. Any new pics?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
........Seeing how I had the "Cali" name first, can you change yours so people wont thing we're the same person?

This museum is going to be huge for LA, not only architecturally which in my opinion will be one of the most interesting structures probably in all of the USA once completed, but also because of the massive cultural presence Star Wars has globally. Its literally a galactic Novela if you will. Tourists already flock to LA for many reasons, this will sure become a tourist hot spot on its own and not just with fanboys and girls but kids, older people who grew up with star wars and so on. Seeing how it will be next to the center stage of the Olympics, I'm sure the global cameras will pan to it continuously.
Well, I'm a Caligrad as well....U.Cal, but you got the name first. Calinative will do. I didn't mean to be critical of the Lucas..fine museum. How about 75% Star Wars, with a touch of other SciFi exhibits....dare I suggest a Star Trek gallery? Think of all the poor trekkers (or is it trekkies?) out there without a place to go. Can the Star Wars and Star Trek universes co-exist under the same roof? It seems logical. V

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:09 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Have Oceanwide & 820 So. Olive (Onni) topped out yet? Must be pretty close. Any new pics?
Some updates from Sterling Davis Photo on Flickr, check out his Flickr account to see the rest of his Downtown construction updates! https://www.flickr.com/photos/sterlingdavisphoto/

888 S Hope by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

825 S Hill by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

Oceanwide Plaza by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

1212 Flower by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

Mack Urban, 1120 S Grand by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

Oceanwide Plaza, 1212 Flower by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

6th Street Bridge, Construction progress 2018 by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

Music Center Renovation by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

John Ferraro Building DWP Headquarters by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO, on Flickr

Ferrante Demo by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

Trinity Auditorium by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

Untitled by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO, on Flickr

Apex II by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

Hotel Clark by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:09 PM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 5:18 PM

So excited to see some major activity at the 6th Street bridge site. This will be fun to watch

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Some updates from Sterling Davis Photo on Flickr

John Ferraro Building DWP Headquarters by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO, on Flickr

I'm guessing fountains in cities similar to this don't run like maybe one hr per day....

Maybe the DWP would react differently if the moat around its bldg started doing this....

thanks for the pics, btw. And good vid, cesar. I didn't realize the digital screens on the circa were operating beyond just a short daily run.

DWP, hint, hint. how about doing the same with your fountains?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

DWP, hint, hint. how about doing the same with your fountains?
I remember reading many years ago that the fountains/moat at the DWP building served some kind of climate control or was part of the A/C system for the building, at least they did when the building was first built. So I would imagine if it still serves that purpose, that the size of the fountains' jets would vary throughout the day, and would also be off during certain times of the day.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I remember reading many years ago that the fountains/moat at the DWP building served some kind of climate control or was part of the A/C system for the building, at least they did when the building was first built.
Quote:
The DWP, whose 1.2-million-gallon reflecting pool could swallow all the other downtown fountains, is also constrained by technology, said spokeswoman Michelle Figueroa. In addition to being an architectural feature, the pool is tied into the building's cooling system, Figueroa said. About 2.5 million gallons of wastewater from the cooling towers goes into it each year.

That water, which would otherwise go down the drain, offsets about half the daily evaporation, Figueroa said.

The agency has given a nod to the drought by reducing to three hours a day the running time of the jets that once animated the expanse of water surrounding its Hope Street headquarters.

That still leaves about 10,000 gallons of fresh water — about half a residential swimming pool — lost every hot summer day.

They went to the trouble of giving it a changeable light feature awhile back. It originally was never multi colored. But since they run it so little during the day or evening, it becomes like a case of 'where's waldo'?

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=Patrick;8134512]Some updates from Sterling Davis Photo on Flickr, check out his Flickr account to see the rest of his Downtown construction updates! https://www.flickr.com/photos/sterlingdavisphoto/

825 S Hill by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO

I'm sorry, but what in the hell was the thought process behind the contrasting facades and their placement on the building? It makes no sense and quite frankly, looks terrible when viewed from every angle. Was this included in the original renderings?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I'm sorry, but what in the hell was the thought process behind the contrasting facades and their placement on the building? It makes no sense and quite frankly, looks terrible when viewed from every angle. Was this included in the original renderings?
It's half atlier and half Level

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations