HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
After taking a tour of West Sixth on Friday, I was told by the leaser that there will be a grocery store going in the bottom floor of the town homes (the bottom floor is for retail and restaurants). They have already started plumbing and electrical work for the building. He said it should be open within the next sixth months. He didn't go into detail or say whether it was a national/regional tenant or a small business.
I am curious what the parking situation will look like for this grocery store. I would love to stop there on the way home. I hope it is like a Trader Joes and isn't to over priced.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
After taking a tour of West Sixth on Friday, I was told by the leaser that there will be a grocery store going in the bottom floor of the town homes (the bottom floor is for retail and restaurants). They have already started plumbing and electrical work for the building. He said it should be open within the next sixth months. He didn't go into detail or say whether it was a national/regional tenant or a small business.
What do they mean by "grocery store"? Is it going to be like the failed Oakville Grocery at CityScape where they only sold overpriced "gourmet" stuff and lunch sandwiches? What's really needed in urban settings are small footprint "real" grocery stores. Unfortunately I anticipate another "gourmet" grocer that has a larger selection of $25 bottles of wine than it does of toilet paper.

Urban areas need more grocery stores like this...

...and less gourmet grocery stores like this:

Last edited by nickw252; Apr 4, 2012 at 3:51 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:47 AM

Any idea as to what they're building east of the Biodesign Institute?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:46 PM

[QUOTE=nickw252;5653343]What do they mean by "grocery store"? Is it going to be like the failed Oakville Grocery at CityScape where they only sold overpriced "gourmet" stuff and lunch sandwiches? What's really needed in urban settings are small footprint "real" grocery stores. Unfortunately I anticipate another "gourmet" grocer that has a larger selection of $25 bottles of wine than it does of toilet paper.

I totally agree. I work for Chase at University and Ash, and we recently had a visit from the Mill Ave Business District. They indicated that a Whole Foods will probably be going in across the street at Ash and University. Unfortunately though, it won't be part of another tower like it was originally going to be (Remember Mosaic?)
A Whole Foods would be better than an Oakville for sure, but I sure wish we could get a "normal" grocery store- or a Trader Joes! Even Whole Foods seems overpriced and out of touch with the area.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:23 PM

Grocery Store

I totally agree. I hope its not overpriced either, but I have no idea. I just know that they are putting one in.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:33 PM

Remodeled Sun Devil Stadium..

http://www.thesundevils.com/view.gal?id=117210

I thing it looks great

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:48 PM
Skyriser

How will this remedy the stadium's sinking into the ground?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:41 PM

^ I'm guessing if this is true, it is something they may need to address when they do the renovation. Not my concern - I will leave that up to the experts. As for the rendering, it looks cool.

--don

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
How will this remedy the stadium's sinking into the ground?
The stadium isn't sinking into the ground, it is built on rock. The underground pylons, supporting some of the grandstands, are deteriorating because they weren't properly waterproofed in the 1989 renovation.

The firm responsible for the renovations didn't think a stadium in the desert would need to be extensively protected from water. Instead of having a 50 year lifespan, they will have to be replaced by 2019.

Perhaps that is why the north end will be opened up and the east/west grandstands will be raised hemicycles. Hope they don't shrink it down to 50,000 but instead have a capacity of 65,000 with the ability to increase that for big games.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Any idea as to what they're building east of the Biodesign Institute?

Apparently it's an art installation called Skyspace by James Turrell.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:52 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Thatll be cool, Turrell skyspaces are neat. I highly recommend checking out the one at SMoCA. It would be cool if there was one in Downtown PHX somewhere, Civic Space park would've been a good spot.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 2:43 AM

I totally agree. I work for Chase at University and Ash, and we recently had a visit from the Mill Ave Business District. They indicated that a Whole Foods will probably be going in across the street at Ash and University. Unfortunately though, it won't be part of another tower like it was originally going to be (Remember Mosaic?)
A Whole Foods would be better than an Oakville for sure, but I sure wish we could get a "normal" grocery store- or a Trader Joes! Even Whole Foods seems overpriced and out of touch with the area.[/QUOTE]

interesting to hear that since there is a whole foods on baseline and also they have started to move the n scottsdale store to camelback/20th st.

I think a fresh and easy would be best for that demographic (plus they more have household items like a regular grocery store has)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post

A Whole Foods would be better than an Oakville for sure, but I sure wish we could get a "normal" grocery store- or a Trader Joes! Even Whole Foods seems overpriced and out of touch with the area.

interesting to hear that since there is a whole foods on baseline and also they have started to move the n scottsdale store to camelback/20th st.

I think a fresh and easy would be best for that demographic (plus they more have household items like a regular grocery store has)[/QUOTE]

Oh definitely! Fresh and Easy or Trader Joe's would be perfect! Whole Foods is a lovely store, but I just don't see residents in the area being willing to shell out Whole Foods prices. But then again, I could be wrong...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
They're moving the N Scottsdale store TO Camelback/20th St? Please explain...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:04 AM

I've been searching for information on the proposed (20-floor if I read correctly) tower at the SE corner of Rural & University. I think the public hearings are over with, does anyone have any drawings or other information on the proposed project?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
Skyriser

^ We covered the University/Rural/8th St project a little while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Few Development Review Commission mentions

Noticed yesterday and today some work being done on Eighth and Rural. First Part and Second Part of the review

323 Veterans Way/ Armory Site

Appears that All Saints Newman Center is underway.

Still nothing with Residence Inn (former Urban Garden) and touch up on the old Mill.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:18 AM

http://www.valleymetro.org/images/up...tion_METRO.pdf

I found this link on the Valley metro site showing what the trolly could look like on Mill and Ash. What is cool is the conceptual photos of how things could look if the area were more dense. Pretty cool.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:30 AM

That's a great PDF and the city looks SO much better in the "after" pictures...that is what Tempe should look like!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:33 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
http://www.valleymetro.org/images/up...tion_METRO.pdf

I found this link on the Valley metro site showing what the trolly could look like on Mill and Ash. What is cool is the conceptual photos of how things could look if the area were more dense. Pretty cool.
Pretty cool indeed, thanks for sharing

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 7:50 AM

It would be amazing if even half of the "after" happened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest