HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 2:09 AM

It's been 10 years since this tower was proposed...

Damn.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 3:07 AM

^^^
This tower would have been completed years ago if there was no great recession, it has been through three presidential administrations, a name change, foreclosure (I believe) and so many different stacking options it would make your head spin(from entirely office, to largely residential and finally to mixed use), but the fact that it hasn't been cancelled speaks of the vitality of the Manhattan real estate market and the fundamental strengths of the site.

A bunch of other towers like the MSG twin towers and WPC died completely, while others like this one, the Manhattan West twins are only just getting properly started. At least this one isn't trapped in purgatory like 15 Penn or 2 WTC, neither one is going to be done before 2025 at this rate...

The rules that I follow when it comes to NYC development are easy to remember and guarantee that any tall building fan won't be dissapointed if they remember them;

1. Be optimistic about the quantity of proposals, they will exceed anyone's wildest imaginations.
2. The timetables proposed by developers are always total BS and have almost no reflection on reality because they tend to be off by several years at least, especially if they announce a project early.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 9:46 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
^^^
This tower would have been completed years ago if there was no great recession.........

The rules that I follow when it comes to NYC development are easy to remember and guarantee that any tall building fan won't be dissapointed if they remember them;

1. Be optimistic about the quantity of proposals, they will exceed anyone's wildest imaginations.
2. The timetables proposed by developers are always total BS and have almost no reflection on reality because they tend to be off by several years at least, especially if they announce a project early.
The timetables are BS because of the regulations and other regulatory nonsense that delay important and timely things such as financing, approvals and so forth.
We don't need no height limits either.
All that nonsense about air rights in a big city should be tossed out the window.
If you own the land, you own the air above your land.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 11:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Air rights should go. It's a fabrication. A way to control density that quite frankly doesn't help the supply issue.

The cake is a lie!!!

3 Hudson is happening. Just got to be patient.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 6:38 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

Air rights should go. It's a fabrication. A way to control density that quite frankly doesn't help the supply issue.

Okay, what happens when your neighbor decides to build something over your property?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 7:57 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Okay, what happens when your neighbor decides to build something over your property?
Show me a skyscraper that crosses directly over another tower, please!
Getting back to the Girasole, I can't believe it's finally under construction!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 10:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Spire??? Taller????

=======================

Credit: fxfowle

Quote:
3 Hudson Boulevard is a 66-story tower that will set new standards for urban developments. Sited on Manhattan's West Side in Hudson Yards, the tower's twisting and tapered form transitions from the urban grid to capture optimal solar orientation, allowing arrays of photovoltaic sunscreens integrated into portions of its all-glass curtain wall façade to generate over 800,000 kWh of power per year. With a five-story podium and retail at street level, the tower features Class A office space, terraces, and views of the Hudson River, Hudson River Park, and the High Line. The tower is crowned by a rooftop club and skygarden planted with mature trees and sheltered by glass windscreens.

New York, NY

CLIENT

The Moinian Group

COMPLETION

AREA
1,800,000 GSF / 170,000 GSM

CERTIFICATE

LEED Platinum Anticipated

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 11:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Maybe that render is just to spice it up a bit? We still dont have the full filing for the DOB. Whats there now is still the stump.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 12:29 PM

I think the tower looks better with the spire. Has a more distinctive presence.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 12:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It works IMO. Just the right amount of bulk to it. Its not pencil think like NY Times Tower and its length complements the whole tower. One of those cases where a spire adds to it. Similar to Bank of America.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:44 PM

Already so many spires in that area though. BOA, NYT, Conde Naste...

I believe this would work just fine without one.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:17 PM

I'm loving that spire! I think it complements the spires in the area very well if it to be built as shown.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:34 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Already so many spires in that area though. BOA, NYT, Conde Naste...

I believe this would work just fine without one.
I agree, it's not like NYC lacks spires. More flat top supertalls would do better for they skyline I think.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:46 AM
World Machine

The spire is a nice touch considering there are none in the immediate vicinity. Given the estimated completion year, I'm sure the tower will undergo further design modifications.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
The spire is a nice touch considering there are none in the immediate vicinity. Given the estimated completion year, I'm sure the tower will undergo further design modifications.

The spire would be a nice addition, if the overall height of the building itself were increased. Midtown has spires, but the skyline is so massive that the other spires don't account for this part of the skyline. Its why I think the CP tower needs one. Then, when you consider all of the massive, bulky towers going up in the vicinity of this one, there's the risk of the Hudson Yards being too boxy.

That render is a redesign though, not just the adding of a spire. 55 Hudson, which is a neighboring tower of nearly 800 ft looks significantly shorter in that rendering.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:17 PM

That spire looks like a bit of an afterthought to me, although I love the other updates in the render.

Spires typically work best when a building’s crown tapers towards them (e.g., Chrysler, Empire State, Bank of America, One Vanderbilt…), or at least where there are other architectural elements protruding from the roof to frame and create a visual transition into the spire (the fins on top of NY Times Building, or the steel boxes on top of 4 Times Square).

3 Hudson’s curtain wall does extend beyond the roofline, but those extensions are at angles that feel unrelated to the spire and that don’t do much in terms of framing or transitioning. The spirit of the building lies within its twisted form (which I love), but that feature seems at odds with plopping a single massive spire down the center. I think this one would look much better with four smaller spires to emphasize the parallelogrammatic form that the tower transitions towards as it rises… something which coincidentally would be appreciated by those of us still reeling from the value engineering at 3 WTC.

(As an aside, I think that the general rules about transitioning towards a spire don’t apply when the spire extends from the side rather than the center of a building, which is why CP Tower worked so well with a spire despite the blunt transition).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:54 PM
New Yorker for life

I agree that spires work best when the tower transitions into one. However, is tge sea of flat roofed supertalls that the Hudson Yards is becoming (30 Hudson being an exception), it would add more of that New York dynamic to the overall look of that skyline. The same thing applies to the CP tower.

I have always found this tower to be on the bulky side, now being joined by even bulkier towers like 50 Hudson and the Spiral, all with similar, flat roof heights. A spire here would shake it up a bit.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 3:01 AM

Huh? that render looks totally different, what the hell?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 11:28 AM
Student

If you look closely, the spire looks like it is higher than 30 Hudson. The tip could be around 1300 feet, unless I'm looking at this wrong.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 6:36 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction