HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I think this filing is in direct response to the proposed CVCs. I know Velocity was already thinking about this, because an architect friend of mine was talking to them about moving the credit union branch over to the site with the existing CVC, so that they could sell the existing branch site for a high rise. That would not be possible with the proposed CVC. But this is moving much faster than would normally be the case.
Very good call on the politics of it, IMO.

It's one thing to overlay new CVCs if there's not much interest in the land being affected. It's entirely another to squash active development plans from multiple developers in land that you've already prioritized for redevelopment.

IMO, the new CVCs haven't really been thought through, and are at cross purposes with what the city's already said they want to happen with that area. I know they tend to be a sentimental favorite on the council, but honestly they deserve to challenged.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I think this filing is in direct response to the proposed CVCs. I know Velocity was already thinking about this, because an architect friend of mine was talking to them about moving the credit union branch over to the site with the existing CVC, so that they could sell the existing branch site for a high rise. That would not be possible with the proposed CVC. But this is moving much faster than would normally be the case.
I would have to agree that the proposed CVCs are currently a bigger catalyst than the Med Center and the Brackenridge Tract for the boom in proposals. Thank you Ora Houston.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 6:04 PM

Here's an update about that Target on the Drag that gets mentioned on here from time to time. The opening was pushed back to October.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...4JZrV1WJ4sOyL/

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 6:18 PM

New hotel brand watch:

https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article94623.html

"Dream Hotel Group also signed letters of intent to open hotels in the following markets: Austin, Phoenix, Orlando, Monterey and Long Island City, as well as the United Kingdom, Central America and Vietnam.

The company plans to sign more than 150 hotels and resorts across all its brands – Dream, Time, The Chatwal and Unscripted – in the next four years, continuing to solidify its burgeoning global portfolio."

http://www.dreamhotels.com

EDIT: looks like all of their hotels are 75-200 rms. So, boutiquey and smallish. Their Hollywood hotel reminds me very much of The Line . . . but also seems to line up pretty perfectly with Austin's vibe. http://www.dreamhotels.com/hollywood/default-en.html

Last edited by We vs us; May 22, 2017 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 8:29 PM

Here's a permit for the total demo of 201 Brazos - The Cedar Door. I don't recall any project planned for this site.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=165818

EDIT: It appears the Cedar Door is going to be rebuilt and expanded to twice the size it is now.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...f%2BEz7GTntvi5

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:37 AM

Re: Cedar Door..... certainly hope they maintain the original house!!!!!

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:17 PM

FYI, some insider info -- the Hilton is going to be repainted this year. The color will be changed to gray and offwhite/light beige, to match some of the interior renovations. The H logo will also change from red to blue. All things being equal, the paint job should be done by February.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:06 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
FYI, some insider info -- the Hilton is going to be repainted this year. The color will be changed to gray and offwhite/light beige, to match some of the interior renovations. The H logo will also change from red to blue. All things being equal, the paint job should be done by February.
Well that sounds promising. I don't suppose there are any visuals of this out there?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

The Shore is getting a face lift as well. Partially due to the dispute with builder over water penetration problems, partially cuz it needs it.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Re: Cedar Door..... certainly hope they maintain the original house!!!!!
That house/bar was moved to its present location about 10 years ago. Does anybody remember where it was located before that time? Wasn't it on West 5th St. past Lamar, or am I just imagining that?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Well that sounds promising. I don't suppose there are any visuals of this out there?
Nope, I've asked around and all I get is the color scheme. I'll keep digging around though.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
That house/bar was moved to its present location about 10 years ago. Does anybody remember where it was located before that time? Wasn't it on West 5th St. past Lamar, or am I just imagining that?
from their website

The Cedar Door originally opened in 1975 at 401 W 15th Street. It was at that location until 1984. During this time, one of the bartenders went to Mexico and had a margarita in a martini glass while she was there. She brought the idea back to the Cedar Door, dropped an olive in the glass and called it the Mexican Martini, the Cedar Door’s signature drink.

The next location was at 506 E First St. This is just on the other side of the Convention Center from its current location. It was at this location from 1984-1990. The original structure from the first location was put on a truck and moved.

In 1990, the structure was hoisted onto a truck again and moved to its new location at 910 W Cesar Chavez, which is where the Gables Park Tower now sits, near the Seaholm Power Plant. It was at this address until 2001.

This is when the current owners bought the building and had it put on a truck again and brought to the location we are currently in, at 201 Brazos Street. The Cedar Door opened at this location in September of 2002.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 8:39 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Some interesting tidbits from posters with good info on shaggy:

Brooks Brothers' lease is up, and they're moving out of the Scarborough Building.

The building Fado is in was sold to the same group that owns the building next door with Halcyon & Lavaca Street. Isla Bar has also been closed for awhile. That's a quarter of that block now. Let's keep our eyes peeled for something. There's no CVC over this block.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 8:42 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

One of those posters also said to expect some big Waller Creek news in the next couple of months. No details given.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post

Brooks Brothers' lease is up, and they're moving out of the Scarborough Building.

The building Fado is in was sold to the same group that owns the building next door with Halcyon & Lavaca Street. Isla Bar has also been closed for awhile. That's a quarter of that block now. Let's keep our eyes peeled for something. There's no CVC over this block.
That info on 4th is not good if someone intends to tear down.
I'll fight that one for sure.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:39 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That info on 4th is not good if someone intends to tear down.
I'll fight that one for sure.
Yeah that would suck, that area has character....

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I have spoken to 2 people in the last week, a civil engineer and a structural engineer, both working on downtown projects who have seen a rendering of a potential Virgin Hotel Austin. They told me their companies are bidding on it. The firms they work for have access to the drawings. I requested a copy of the render from my friend a week ago and haven't gotten it yet, if he can even get me one. Sorry for the off topic reply. But one last note, my newest connection said there were at least 5 to 6 significant new hotels in Austin's near future, probably some we already know about. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...
Genral, I xcopied your Block 87 thread post so we can continue this interesting discussion in this thread.

I don't know much about the bidding process for large construction projects, but I would be surprised if construction companies bid on large projects that weren't approved and did not have financing. We all know it can take years to get projects approved by the city and financed. So that makes me think any bidding taking place for a large hotel project would be for one that had an approved site plan in place. The bidders would be privy to financial info that we don't have. But we do know which hotel projects have approved site plans with no announced hotel operators. The top prospects that I can think of at the moment are:

416 Congress - This would make for an awesome Virgin Hotel
Waller Park Place - Ideally located by the CC and Rainey St.
Rainey St. Hotel - Former KimberModern proposal
5th & Brazos - Dual branded

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:54 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Genral, I xcopied your Block 87 thread post so we can continue this interesting discussion in this thread.

I don't know much about the bidding process for large construction projects, but I would be surprised if construction companies bid on large projects that weren't approved and did not have financing. We all know it can take years to get projects approved by the city and financed. So that makes me think any bidding taking place for a large hotel project would be for one that had an approved site plan in place. The bidders would be privy to financial info that we don't have. But we do know which hotel projects have approved site plans with no announced hotel operators. The top prospects that I can think of at the moment are:

416 Congress - This would make for an awesome Virgin Hotel
Waller Park Place - Ideally located by the CC and Rainey St.
Rainey St. Hotel - Former KimberModern proposal
5th & Brazos - Dual branded
3 year extension should be expiring soon right? 416 Congress may be the development to start?

https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...ory-hotel.html

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 3:01 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:

1) Brooks closed on May 20 - sad!

2) I believe the block in question (in the warhorse district) is protected from building tall on said sites (with or without CVC encumbrances). I even think that one is not able to do much in the way of façade work.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 3:03 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
One of those posters also said to expect some big Waller Creek news in the next couple of months. No details given.
"They" have been saying that for years. In fact, the current site plan expires in May 2018. So, if any construction is to happen, they will need to ask for an extension pretty soon or withdraw and submit a new site plan for the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin