HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I mean, it's Alabama. Would you want to be an immigrant in Alabama? Really, would you want to be anything but straight, white, and christian in Alabama?
Alabama's economy isn't on fire like Florida or Georgia.

Over 27% of the state is black and according to Wikipedia, almost 50% of kids under 1 are minorities. So apparently plenty of non-whites are moving in or live there already.

And the straight comment? Gay migration isn't a big numbers game anywhere in this country. Your comment just reeks of politics above reality.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

Over 27% of the state is black and
And the % of the black population in Alabama is growing, not declining, as is the case in some other places/cities.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:36 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I mean, it's Alabama. Would you want to be an immigrant in Alabama? Really, would you want to be anything but straight, white, and christian in Alabama?
I'm a gay atheist in Alabama... I experience no issues. As long as you live in an urban area, which most Alabamians do, it really isn't an everyday concern. My pride flag hasn't been torn down, yet.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

Over 27% of the state is black and according to Wikipedia, almost 50% of kids under 1 are minorities. So apparently plenty of non-whites are moving in or live there already.

And the straight comment? Gay migration isn't a big numbers game anywhere in this country. Your comment just reeks of politics above reality.
Of course my comment was rooted in politics. The state governs itself basically with a Christian version of Sharia law. This is the state that tried to make abortion illegal with zero exceptions even for rape and incest. The state that came suuuuuper close to electing a known pedophile as a Senator. The state that had multiple judges that refused to issue marriage certificates to gay couples, even after gay marriage became the law of the land. They have a law that's called, and I'm not kidding here, the "no promo homo law" which states that school sex ed programs have to teach that 'homosexuality is not a lifestyle acceptable to the general public'.

It's one of the most conservative states in the country. Voted overwhelmingly for Trump, who has done nothing but demonize immigrants and even suggested shooting them as they try to come to the border to seek asylum. Why the hell would any immigrant want to live in a place where the majority of the population supports a guy who would rather see them die than live in this country? The state has a high black population because of slavery, duh. It has entrenched black poverty, and has used and continues to use widespread voter suppression tactics to continue to marginalize its black population and keep them out of power. Yeah, I stand by my original post.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Of course my comment was rooted in politics. The state governs itself basically with a Christian version of Sharia law. This is the state that tried to make abortion illegal with zero exceptions even for rape and incest. The state that came suuuuuper close to electing a known pedophile as a Senator. The state that had multiple judges that refused to issue marriage certificates to gay couples, even after gay marriage became the law of the land. They have a law that's called, and I'm not kidding here, the "no promo homo law" which states that school sex ed programs have to teach that 'homosexuality is not a lifestyle acceptable to the general public'.

It's one of the most conservative states in the country. Voted overwhelmingly for Trump, who has done nothing but demonize immigrants and even suggested shooting them as they try to come to the border to seek asylum. Why the hell would any immigrant want to live in a place where the majority of the population supports a guy who would rather see them die than live in this country? The state has a high black population because of slavery, duh. It has entrenched black poverty, and has used and continues to use widespread voter suppression tactics to continue to marginalize its black population and keep them out of power. Yeah, I stand by my original post.
I think Huntsville's biggest employer is NASA. The state isn't a total backwater, but I would guess that Alabama's foreign-born population is mostly attracted to jobs in aerospace. Government spending cuts would also have a direct effect on migration.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:16 PM
Dryer lint inspector

AL also has two prominent universities; Auburn and University of Alabama and these tend to be magnets for skilled immigrants.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:22 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

It's one of the most conservative states in the country. Voted overwhelmingly for Drumpf, who has done nothing but demonize immigrants and even suggested shooting them as they try to come to the border to seek asylum. Why the hell would any immigrant want to live in a place where the majority of the population supports a guy who would rather see them die than live in this country? The state has a high black population because of slavery, duh. It has entrenched black poverty, and has used and continues to use widespread voter suppression tactics to continue to marginalize its black population and keep them out of power. Yeah, I stand by my original post.
Geez your post reeks of ignorance. You either experienced some extreme trauma by being forced to attend some siminar conducted by Roy Moore's Jesus foundation, or are completely detatched from reality.

Please, return to your bunker for another 30 years...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:28 PM

Delete please

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Geez your post reeks of ignorance. You either experienced some extreme trauma by being forced to attend some siminar conducted by Roy Moore's Jesus foundation, or are completely detatched from reality.

Please, return to your bunker for another 30 years...
wtf? Someone asked a question about why Alabama wasn't some hotbed of immigration. I don't think it's off base to point out that being a conservative backwater of a state might turn off immigrants from living or locating there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Alabama does not have a Houston, Dallas, Austin, Charlotte or Nashville. Texas has ass backwards politics as well but doesn't stop people from moving here...because we have large thriving metropolitan areas. AL doesn't.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 11:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Alabama does not have a Houston, Dallas, Austin, Charlotte or Nashville. Texas has ass backwards politics as well but doesn't stop people from moving here...because we have large thriving metropolitan areas. AL doesn't.
Alabama does have thriving metro areas, though... Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Daphne-Fairhope... and it's not as if Birmingham is just sitting around doing nothing.

No Alabama doesn't have a major metro that's exploding economically, we have more than one. That isn't to say that the state doesn't have its problems, every state does; but, the blanket demonization of Alabama and its citizens is wholly inaccurate and entirely unfair.

Texas has more than it's fair share of hellish issues, but most people ignore them because Texas's cities are booming. Well, Alabama has it's own issues with trying to find enough contractors to build homes for new residents relocating to the state due to FBI relocations/job openings (up to 2,000 jobs) and the Toyota-Mazda plant (up to 5,000 jobs). Tuscaloosa is constantly trying to keep up with affordable housing as Mercedes continues to expand and The University of Alabama continues to push towards 40,000 students. Meanwhile, the city center of Birmingham is struggling to keep up with demand for affordable housing for tech companines moving to town from states like Massachusetts, California, and New York because they actually visited The Magic City and saw a great opportunity for their employees and the growth of their companies.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with my home despite the perceived persecution and discrimination that I'm not experiencing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 1:44 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Alabama does have thriving metro areas, though... Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Daphne-Fairhope... and it's not as if Birmingham is just sitting around doing nothing.

No Alabama doesn't have a major metro that's exploding economically, we have more than one. That isn't to say that the state doesn't have its problems, every state does; but, the blanket demonization of Alabama and its citizens is wholly inaccurate and entirely unfair.
I am talking about the size of AL's metros; they're still all relatively small and fall under the radar. Back east, not many people say 'I want to relocate to Huntsville or Birmingham'...and it's not because of negative perception about Alabama but the fact that little is known about these cities. Again, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina share the same stigma as AL but their major cities are well known and seen independently from their respective states. I've been to all of AL's major towns and they are far nicer and vibrant than given credit for but I've physically been there to see them.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 1:59 AM

Sorry for asking a basic question that ended up having the thread hijacked by a dumb reply. Had nothing to do with asking why Alabama isnt on par with Texas when it comes to attracting immigrants, but I understand that we live in a world where everything must be compared to extremes. Just seems strange that 1 state would see a decline while every other *similar* state I looked at showed decent gains..

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:21 AM

Quote:
wtf? Someone asked a question about why Alabama wasn't some hotbed of immigration. I don't think it's off base to point out that being a conservative backwater of a state might turn off immigrants from living or locating there.
You stated that it's a bad state because they supported Trump. Most states voted for Trump. You said people in Alabama, by supporting Trump, would rather an immigrant die than live in this country.

You don't see anything wrong with your words? You need a new circle.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:05 AM
Pay it Forward

I guess this thread is the appropriate place for this as it's census data.

2018 50 Largest MSAs by Percentage of Adults With a Bachelor Degree or Higher:
52.9% San Jose
51.6% Washington DC
51.0% San Francisco
49.1% Boston
48.0% Raleigh
46.6% Austin
44.8% Denver
43.6% Seattle
42.6% Minneapolis
41.2% Baltimore
41.1% New York
40.1% Hartford
40.0% Portland
39.4% Atlanta
38.5% Chicago
38.4% San Diego
38.1% Philadelphia
38.1% Richmond
37.7% Columbus
37.0% Jacksonville
36.3% Rochester
36.1% Charlotte
36.0% Milwaukee
35.9% Nashville
35.5% Dallas
35.5% Pittsburgh
35.2% Salt Lake City
35.0% Indianapolis
34.8% St Louis
34.6% Los Angeles
34.3% Sacramento
34.0% Cincinnati
33.7% Buffalo
33.7% Grand Rapids
33.1% Houston
33.1% Miami
33.0% Virginia Beach
32.7% Cleveland
31.9% Phoenix
31.9% Providence
31.8% Detroit
31.7% Jacksonville
31.5% Tucson
30.8% Tampa
30.7% Oklahoma City
30.6% New Orleans
30.2% Birmingham
28.5% Memphis
27.6% Tulsa
27.5% San Antonio
24.8% Las Vegas
21.9% Riverside

2018 50 Largest US Cities by Percentage of Adults With a Bachelor Degree or Higher:
65.0% Seattle, WA
60.4% Washington, DC
59.8% San Francisco, CA
54.1% Austin, TX
53.4% Atlanta, GA
53.3% Raleigh, NC
51.4% Boston, MA
51.3% Denver, CO
51.3% Minneapolis, MN
50.7% Portland, OR
47.2% Oakland, CA
46.0% San Diego, CA
45.0% San Jose,  CA
44.2% Charlotte, NC
41.7% Nashville, TN
40.1% Colorado Springs, CO
39.4% Chicago, IL
39.0% New York, NY
39.0% Tampa, FL
37.7% Omaha, NE
37.7% Virginia Beach, VA
37.1% Columbus, OH
37.1% New Orleans, LA
36.3% Albuquerque, NM
35.3% Kansas City, MO
34.6% Sacramento, CA
34.5% Los Angeles, CA
33.6% Dallas, TX
33.1% Baltimore, MD
32.9% Houston, TX
31.9% Miami, FL
31.4% Indianapolis, IN
31.2% Tulsa, OK
30.9% Arlington, TX
30.9% Philadelphia, PA
30.8% Oklahoma City, OK
30.6% Long Beach, CA
30.4% Louisville, KY
29.6% Fort Worth, TX
28.9% Jacksonville, FL
28.9% Phoenix, AZ
26.9% Mesa, AZ
26.8% Tucson, AZ
26.2% Memphis, TN
25.8% San Antonio, TX
25.5% El Paso, TX
24.7% Milwaukee, WI
24.4% Las Vegas, NV
22.9% Fresno, CA
15.5% Detroit, MI

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:

Texas has more than it's fair share of hellish issues, but most people ignore them because Texas's cities are booming. Well, Alabama has it's own issues with trying to find enough contractors to build homes for new residents relocating to the state due to FBI relocations/job openings (up to 2,000 jobs) and the Toyota-Mazda plant (up to 5,000 jobs). Tuscaloosa is constantly trying to keep up with affordable housing as Mercedes continues to expand and The University of Alabama continues to push towards 40,000 students. Meanwhile, the city center of Birmingham is struggling to keep up with demand for affordable housing for tech companines moving to town from states like Massachusetts, California, and New York because they actually visited The Magic City and saw a great opportunity for their employees and the growth of their companies.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with my home despite the perceived persecution and discrimination that I'm not experiencing.
Wait, are you actually arguing that Alabama does have major metropolitan areas that are exploding economically and that the state immigrant stats are wrong?

JManc's response wasn't even an attack; it was a factual statement that explains AL's performance when it comes to attracting immigrants relative to most of its neighbors. Every state has some immigrants moving there, including Alabama, but some places have more moving there than others. It is what it is.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:09 PM
Pay it Forward

There are 14 city-level statistical areas with 4M+ people, 13 are CSAs and Phoenix is the lone uncombined MSA, both the Seattle CSA and Phoenix are close enough to 5M to include in this list...

2018 4M+ CSAs/MSAs by Racial Group Median Household Income(Number of Households)

Black Median HH Income(# of HHs)
$66,432 Washington(896,035)
$59,830 San Francisco(192,027)
$58,369 Seattle(92,794)
$54,353 Boston(187,108)
$53,105 New York(1,362,957)
$52,860 Atlanta(756,826)
$52,088 Los Angeles(488,405)
$51,148 Phoenix(93,895)
$48,218 Dallas(455,757)
$46,869 Houston(451,521)
$44,100 Miami(418,851)
$41,779 Philadelphia(521,952)
$41,050 Chicago(601,786)
$35,457 Detroit(439,025)

Asian Median HH Income(# of HHs)
$127,832 San Francisco(716,738)
$112,091 Washington(258,277)
$101,276 Seattle(211,014)
$96,235 Boston(168,068)
$93,523 New York(790,146)
$92,714 Detroit(78,121)
$92,269 Phoenix(61,308)
$91,601 Dallas(170,595)
$89,452 Houston(171,121)
$87,586 Chicago(221,761)
$84,347 Atlanta(116,494)
$83,271 Philadelphia(128,825)
$82,523 Los Angeles(817,977)
$66,241 Miami(51,775)

White Median HH Income(# of HHs)
$113,097 San Francisco(1,480,699)
$105,966 Washington(2,020,457)
$95,826 New York (4,708,481)
$87,040 Seattle(1,347,748)
$86,798 Los Angeles(2,438,793)
$85,710 Houston(1,045,000)
$85,288 Boston(2,467,683)
$83,463 Chicago(2,217,539)
$81,905 Philadelphia(1,789,596)
$81,161 Dallas(1,523,337)
$80,412 Atlanta(1,269,927)
$70,973 Phoenix(1,131,828)
$68,200 Detroit(1,498,586)
$67,734 Miami(997,162)

Hispanic Median HH Income(# of HHs)
$73,789 San Francisco(576,277)
$71,916 Washington(316,847)
$65,345 Seattle(133,632)
$59,845 Los Angeles(2,147,688)
$56,523 Chicago(587,969)
$54,342 Dallas(584,837)
$53,458 Atlanta(191,822)
$52,441 Phoenix(387,701)
$52,252 New York(1,703,527)
$51,683 Miami(918,170)
$50,815 Houston(728,087)
$50,491 Detroit(68,044)
$46,471 Boston(282,876)
$45,540 Philadelphia(223,472)

Multiracial Median HH Income(# of HHs)
$93,635 San Francisco(133,482)
$88,549 Washington(102,033)
$77,818 Seattle(81,918)
$76,805 Los Angeles(186,549)
$73,799 Dallas(55,043)
$72,246 Houston(45,614)
$65,897 New York(195,591)
$63,668 Boston(66,940)
$63,058 Chicago(67,929)
$62,284 Atlanta(43,212)
$56,381 Phoenix(42,636)
$56,348 Detroit(34,755)
$55,219 Philadelphia(47,075)
$54,279 Miami(45,013)

American Indian Median HH Income(# of HHs)
$91,052 Miami(4,582)
$85,985 San Francisco(16,381)
$71,607 Washington(10,455)
$68,372 Seattle(14,983)
$68,092 Dallas(18,205)
$66,145 Los Angeles(41,081)
$58,295 Houston(10,272)
$56,298 Chicago(10,718)
$51,966 Philadelphia(5,337)
$51,434 New York(26,198)
$45,095 Phoenix(31,665)
$41,735 Detroit(6,348(
$41,147 Boston(6,515)
$32,582 Atlanta(9,113)

Native Hawaiian-Pacific Islander Median HH Income(# of HHs)
$80,000 San Francisco(11,854)
$78,225 Boston(1,271)
$76,662 Los Angeles(13,570)
$74,453 Seattle(13,201)
$65,491 Houston N/A
$64,253 Washington(2,415)
$61,342 Phoenix(2,986)
$55,165 Philadelphia N/A
$48,170 New York(3,132)
$46,117 Dallas(2,795)
$33,809 Chicago(1,313)
$28,040 Miami N/A

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
The New Geography of American Immigration

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/10...h-data/599884/

It's remarkable how low the immigrant growth rate is for California considering recent trends. Must be the housing shortage and overall cost of living. I assume this could impact future demographic projections for CA.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ well, one of the reasons you're seeing lower growth percenatges in cali cities and NYC on that map is that they start out with a much higher than average base of foreign born population, and it's a lot harder to post strong growth percentages from a high base.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:12 PM

We are talking percentages here not numbers. Would be interesting to see how those percentages correlate to the actual growth numbers. Will probably paint a different story for some areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions