HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:54 AM

platform screen doors have very minimal impact on dwell time. They open and close just a split second before the actual train doors do.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
it is pointless to talk about them since we really don't need them. why would we want to increase dwell time? it doesn't matter when you have 3mins between trains with operators, but with very short headway's it can make a difference.
I'm sure there will be calls for them once someone dies.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
it is pointless to talk about them since we really don't need them. why would we want to increase dwell time? it doesn't matter when you have 3mins between trains with operators, but with very short headway's it can make a difference.
Why would they increase dwell?

They would presumably open at the same time as the train-doors...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
platform screen doors have very minimal impact on dwell time. They open and close just a split second before the actual train doors do.
yea until there's a glitch and it breaks down. why install a new piece of technology that we don't even need when it'll require maintenance.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:28 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I'm sure there will be calls for them once someone dies.
Once someone dies??

Quote:
Why we sometimes can't tell you why SkyTrain service has been disrupted
by Renee Bernard
Posted Oct 6, 2016 11:16 pm
Last Updated Oct 6, 2016 at 11:20 pm PDT

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Last weekend, SkyTrain service ground to a halt for hours, but we couldn’t tell you what was really going on.

There’s good reason for that.

Police and the coroner were investigating a suicide on the tracks – something TransLink says happens about three times a year.
UBC psychology professor David Klonsky says there’s good reason why we don’t tell you what’s really going on as it’s happening.

“If we publicize a method that is widely available, we are almost giving people who are in their worst moments, who are in a moment of crisis, we’re giving them a way to attempt suicide.”

But he says there is important information for people in that moment of crisis.

“Most people who attempt and survive will report regretting the attempt immediately. A lot of these methods that ‘work well’ are associated with quite gruesome injuries.”

And why do people end their lives in such public places? Klonsky says when people are desperate, they’re not really giving much thought about where they are – like a SkyTrain station.

Suicide is the number two cause of death for young people in Canada, but Klonsky stresses hope and support are available.

In BC, help is only a call away at 1-800-SUICIDE. Online support can be found at Youth in BC and CrisisCentreChat.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/10/06/s...ice-disrupted/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 12:04 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:35 PM

When trains are the same length with doors at the same place platform screen doors do not increase dwell time and are great for increasing the reliability of the system (and reducing deaths on the line). Because we have vehicles with different lengths and door location any platform screens would need to open up down across the full platform, they would increase dwell times.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Well I think the general people will make a distinction between someone on a crowded platform and accidentally or on purpose being pushed into the path of a train versus a suicide.

Though they say there were at least 10 accidental platform deaths on the SkyTrain, so I guess people don't really care about it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Bench seats are significantly more space efficient, and fold up seats even more so.
I can't imagine how fold-up seats are any different than regular seats in terms of space efficiency, since someone will always fold them down to sit on them if they're available. The purpose of fold-up seats is to provide space for people who use wheelchairs or other mobility devices.

But if you mean that the fold-up seats provide space for those wheelchairs that would otherwise be blocking passengers, then yes - I agree.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:46 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Some transit systems have experimented with fold up seats so that in rush hour it can be standing room only and all seats are folded up, then when it is less busy people can fold them down and sit. Allowing more room in the peak.
Oh, I understand the concept. I've just never seen a case where someone will stand beside a fold-up seat when they could just lower it and sit down. You only have to look at our buses to see this - the front sections have fold-down seats to make room for wheelchair users and mothers with strollers - but I've never seen anyone stand next to one that isn't in use.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Hate to sound like a broken record, but changing the seating arrangement and adding a fifth car should significantly increase capacity. Bench seats are significantly more space efficient, and fold up seats even more so.
Except that TransLink has already done questionnaires and people here don't like the inward facing bench seats - that's why you only see them on the Mark 1 trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Oh, I understand the concept. I've just never seen a case where someone will stand beside a fold-up seat when they could just lower it and sit down. You only have to look at our buses to see this - the front sections have fold-down seats to make room for wheelchair users and mothers with strollers - but I've never seen anyone stand next to one that isn't in use.
I'm the edge case on this one, as I've done it a couple times (usually travelling from Ikea to Braid Station) - but it's only been on a short trip and generally when I've got something I picked up standing in front of me.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 9:06 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 5:26 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Except that TransLink has already done questionnaires and people here don't like the inward facing bench seats
They did a questionnaire for that? That's amazingly stupid.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
They did a questionnaire for that? That's amazingly stupid.
It would have been a questionnaire(s) about what people do and don't like about transit, Skytrain, etc.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Commercial-Broadway Station.

Jan.20 '17, my pics

12 weeks later...

April 14 '17, my pic

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 1:49 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 9:03 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
12 weeks later...

April 14 '17, my pic
They have started installing the glazing at the north end, you can only see it if you are standing at the 99 bus stop in front of Shoppers.

Last edited by retro_orange; Apr 15, 2017 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 3:06 AM

No sign of the structure for the new platform yet at the south end (there looks to be some at the north end?)?
I see steel brackets on the beam next to Safeway
- so presumably there will be steel I-beams spanning the entire width with a few open areas for escalators and stairs.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
When trains are the same length with doors at the same place platform screen doors do not increase dwell time and are great for increasing the reliability of the system (and reducing deaths on the line). Because we have vehicles with different lengths and door location any platform screens would need to open up down across the full platform, they would increase dwell times.
I'm sure on other transit systems they replace their rolling stock with new ones that match the previous door positions.

The reason we don't have it here is that it's largely not justified because the platforms aren't crowded enough for accidents to happen frequently. Platform doors will not stop a suicide. Broadway's platform was the only one that was actually becoming a problem.

If someone wants to die so bad by transit they will jump out in front of a bus on a red light. The Surrey LRT might attract suicides, but of the accidents I've been tracking over the last two years, most reported LRT accidents are with vehicles making left turns, wrong turns, and vehicles trying to beat the train. Pedestrian accidents are not well reported and only when they involve bikes or wheelchairs. That "down the center of the boulevard" means no platform edge doors either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure