HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Nakheel Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 8:23 PM

How many floors it will have if built ?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 12:15 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

It is currently listed as having 228 floors.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 12:32 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Looks like were back to the start again:

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Rea.../10230267.html

Contest for tallest tower in the Gulf hots up

By Suzanne Fenton, Staff Reporter
Published: July 19, 2008, 23:05

Dubai: Competition to build the world's tallest tower is hotting up in the Gulf as developers continue to battle it out with their increasingly ambitious designs and dizzying heights.

A report by Middle East Economic Digest (MEED) last week had said Nakheel was planning to increase the height of its Al Burj project to 1.4 kilometres, making it almost double the height of Emaar's Burj Dubai, which is said to be around 750 to 815 metres long. However, Nakheel has denied the report.

A spokesperson for Nakheel said yesterday that the design of the project was still being finalised, but height won't necessarily be the focus of the tower.

"Although the project will be a significant architectural structure, it's worth noting that an iconic building doesn't necessarily have to be the tallest.

For example, Sydney Opera House is an iconic building admired around the world and its worldwide appeal is not based on height," the spokesperson said.

The Al Burj project had originally been planned at Dubai waterfront with an initial height of 1,050 metres. The project will now come up near Ibn Battuta Mall, a source told Gulf News.

Mall development

According to the MEED report, Ibn Battuta is increasing its retail space to 250,000 square metres, with entertainment attractions, including a roller coaster on top of the mall itself.

Nakheel said further details on the tower are expected to be released by the end of this year.

Meanwhile, there are rumours that the proposed Saudi Arabian mile-high tower will fall short of the hyped mile.

According to sources, the tower could reach 5,250 feet, four times the size of the Empire State Building in New York, with a development value of £5 billion.

Unless you suffer from vertigo and if you can take the heady heights, from the top of the tower you'll be rewarded with an unparalleled view of the Middle East, North Africa and the Indian Ocean.

The project is being overseen by Saudi Prince Al Walid Bin Talal Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud, under his company, Kingdom Holdings, in a joint venture with London firms Hyder Consulting and Arup.

Graham Whitehead, head of corporate communications at Hyder Consulting headquarters in London, told Gulf News that a confidentiality agreement had been signed between the parties involved and hence no details could be released.

Although the height and design specifications can't be released until Kingdom Holdings gives permission, a spokesperson for Hyder Consulting in Dubai said: "They are aiming for the tallest building in the world."

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 4:00 AM

I dont know why you would want to build something this tall. It will look very out of place, even standing by Burj Dubai. I mean Dubai has built palm tree islands, now it should build palm tree islands with coconuts just to attrack more attention. I dont think growing this fast is healthy. Cities like NY, Chicago, or Paris took hundreds of years to be the way they are today, and now Dubai its going to outpace cities like that in less than 20 years. WTF??? Still, it looks nice, Dubai that is, not this FUGLY PROJECT,,, I mean.... tower.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO_0121 View Post
I dont know why you would want to build something this tall. It will look very out of place, even standing by Burj Dubai. I mean Dubai has built palm tree islands, now it should build palm tree islands with coconuts just to attrack more attention. I dont think growing this fast is healthy. Cities like NY, Chicago, or Paris took hundreds of years to be the way they are today, and now Dubai its going to outpace cities like that in less than 20 years. WTF??? Still, it looks nice, Dubai that is, not this FUGLY PROJECT,,, I mean.... tower.
I believe they are building fast for the following reasons:

1. Diversify away from oil dependence and start a new real estate economy/ financial hub/ tourist destination and etc ...
2. Oil in UAE is finite
3. Take advantage of cheap money since all prices are at all time high
4. It is statement to the world that they are the new "America"... we are rich, our environment is clean, we have no prejudice and we welcome your money...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:48 AM
Back from the dead

^Where can I get a hold of this cheap money you speak of ?

Anyway, you're right that this sort of thing is designed to diversify the economy of Dubai and the UAE but perhaps not quite in the same way that you're thinking. It's a very small percentage of the world's population that really cares so much about how tall a building is. What most people are really interested in is the effect a destination will have on them. Perhaps it's more accurate to call it the experience of the place.

Dubai is already becoming "larger than life" (so to speak) It's really impressive and amazing. THIS tower isn't really something that people could appreciate the same way though. The Burj Dubai has elegance of design , compliments the Dubai skyline while "making" it, and also holds the WTB title making it something of an attraction in itself. Whether or not it ever turns a profit is another matter. The "Tall Tower" of whatever it ultimately gets named posesses none of these qualities except potentially for one. It's a rather monolithic-looking slab , it's TOO tall , doesn't have any character to speak of, would detract from the Dubai skyline's attractiveness, is out of scale, and , probably most importantly, could never make a profit. If it was half as tall as currently planned it still wouldn't "fit".

Don't get me wrong, if any place on Earth is poised to clinch and hold indefinitely the location of the WTB, it's probably Dubai. I have no problem with Dubai adding the WTB (since it already has the title anyway) at a mile high but this thing is something more properly placed in a skyscraper freak-show.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:41 AM
Architecture student

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildItUp View Post
I believe they are building fast for the following reasons:

1. Diversify away from oil dependence and start a new real estate economy/ financial hub/ tourist destination and etc ...
2. Oil in UAE is finite
3. Take advantage of cheap money since all prices are at all time high
4. It is statement to the world that they are the new "America"... we are rich, our environment is clean, we have no prejudice and we welcome your money...
Dubai is already living from the tourism and real estate. The money made by oil is reduced to 5% or something of the total income.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:38 PM
Architecture student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
How is it not helping? If anything, developments like these are intended to shift Dubai's economy away from oil revenue.
Al Burj:

Costs > Revenue

That's why it's not helping.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:49 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
eney news a bout tall tower (al burj) some picture update ??
i ask here becous it is one of the most view`d threds !
Nope. Someone should drive out to the site and see what's going on.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
Al Burj:

Costs > Revenue

That's why it's not helping.
Revenue will exceed costs, one way or another. if the tower's office space itself is not profitable, then a cash cow complex that feeds off the centerpiece's attraction factor will make the money (e.g. Downtown Burj Dubai).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 4:00 PM

Why was the height information taken out of the title, is it because they haven't made it up yet....

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 4:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Insanity. Crazy. Mindboggling.
Cool. Awesome. Spectacular.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Why was the height information taken out of the title, is it because they haven't made it up yet....
Yep, you just answered your own question.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 10:57 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Revenue will exceed costs, one way or another. if the tower's office space itself is not profitable, then a cash cow complex that feeds off the centerpiece's attraction factor will make the money (e.g. Downtown Burj Dubai).
But the thing is, this has already been done with burj dubai. You can't really do the same thing twice and expect it to succeed.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Question

Quote:
Yay right!!!!! they are a 3erd world country they will never be like us no matter how hard they try, wanna bes

but for real dident they make the size smaller i have looked at the renders and
it will ( if it even gets built ) be the same hight as the burj dubia.
is this true?

and i have never seen it this high before in a render.
does this tower have a website or something?

Last edited by America 117; Oct 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
Information Age

Can't waith for the design, I don't expect too much
since I guess when it comes to heights as this, the design opportunities are limited.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 1:47 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

According to Imre the entire site is being boarded up. By the entire site I mean not just the tower but the surrounding development too.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:55 PM
· · · · · · · ·

^ Is that a good thing or should we be worried?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 8:02 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Maybe they're getting ready to roll in the big machinery.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 3:33 AM

Quote:
this may be true, but read comments on burj videos on youtube. this is a region with a lot of unrest. i sense that a big part of the population feels angry about the hype or something. building a beautiful city and getting tourism doesnt fix these problems, although these feelings can be silenced for a while. i just think the social ideals are a long way from those of america. not that america is better or worse. heck, im not from either country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive