HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Work to begin this year... and yes, one of them.
I can't remember -- does NAIT have any firm plans yet for expansion onto Blatchford? I know they've long been expected to be the initiators of development on the site.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:57 PM
Community Guy

Housing and yes, future expansion.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 6:28 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton.ca

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:32 AM
The New Republic

Are any of these master plans dense enough to support a subway line one day? I'm surprised how low density they look.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:38 AM
I'm cheap

^The NLRT which is currently nearing construction will have a eventually go through the area. It will be stopping at NAIT for now until everything starts there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:09 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
^The NLRT which is currently nearing construction will have a eventually go through the area. It will be stopping at NAIT for now until everything starts there.
Thanks. It almost looks too sparse to support even LRT. They've made sure it is dense enough I suppose.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:16 PM
Community Guy

The 30,000 has been revised down to 15,000 or so I believe. Still dense, but not uber dense.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:59 PM
Community Guy

I guess I was wrong, still shooting for 30k.

Council green-lights Blatchford redevelopment

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTON JOURNAL JULY 16, 2014

Redevelopment of the former City Centre Airport will move ahead after councillors accepted a plan Wednesday to spend $632 million building a green community on the site.

The money will pay for Blatchford’s roads, sewers, parks, lakes, a stormwater irrigation system and other infrastructure needed over the next 25 years.

About $552 million will come from revenue made developing the 217-hectare site for up to 30,000 residents, schools, shops and other businesses, with the rest borrowed.

NAIT hopes to buy 16 hectares for expansion.

By the time the project is finished, city officials expect to make a $229-million profit.

That’s similar to earlier projections which, although they appeared much smaller, didn’t take decades of inflation and other factors into account.

“It’s not the goal to make money on this development,” Coun. Michael Oshry said.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...224/story.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 3:43 AM

Great plan, I hope it comes to fruition, profit driven development has led us into the mess we are in today with global pollution and unhealthy lifestyles. It's nice to see a city government push for a better life for its citizens and if it winds up making money in the process then great. I hope other cities take notice. We had a similar opportunity here in Austin to redevelop an old airport site and got just a small taste of what true urban areas need to be like for us to have a clean future on this planet.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:41 PM
Community Guy

Update on phase 1:

www.edmonton.ca

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:03 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:42 PM
Community Guy

You will want to go to Edmonton.ca for all of this info, June 22 Council Meeting, for there is a 37 page report along with a 10 pager from S&D.

edmonton.ca

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 10:21 PM
Community Guy

City breaks ground at Blatchford tomorrow!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:10 PM
Community Guy

Construction starts for Edmonton downtown airport redevelopment

By Gordon Kent, Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON - Construction work is underway at the Blatchford redevelopment to create what the city calls one of the world’s largest sustainable communities.

About 40 trucks, graders and bulldozers began stripping topsoil and levelling the ground last weekend to allow construction of sewers, wiring and roads next year, project executive director Mark Hall said Wednesday.

The work includes removing storm sewers that were under the runways on the former City Centre Airport, he said after a ceremonial sod-turning.

Crews have already demolished six airport buildings, with another six set to be removed within nine months.

Over the next 20 to 30 years, the 217-hectare site is expected to become the carbon-neutral home of 30,000 people, using entirely renewable energy with reduced water and power consumption.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...986/story.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:13 PM
Community Guy

Had a nice chat with Mark Hall, Exec. Director for Blatchford this AM. They are indeed moving a lot of dirt, something along the lines of 700,000m3. The SWMP will be about 4m deep and the hill on the NWC is well underway. With luck I am getting a wee tour this afternoon, but they are getting close to putting out the first parcels to industry.

Stage 1 will be Row/townhouse and low-rise walk-up apartments.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 5:43 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 5:43 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:38 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:27 PM
Community Guy

David Staples: Better to go slow and get Blatchford right

DAVID STAPLES, EDMONTON JOURNAL

There’s been no end of complaining that the fantastic vision to build a greentopia neighbourhood on the old Blatchford airport lands has been gutted and disrespected, but that’s not how Kim Krushell sees it.

Krushell, a former city councillor now running a tech startup company, sits on Blatchford redevelopment’s business advisory group. It regularly goes over proposals for city-led projects and gives city administrators hell whenever it sees something that doesn’t make sense.

Krushell dearly wants to see Blatchford succeed. She was a key figure in voting to shut and redevelop the old airport. But she’s not worried it’s taking so long to proceed. “I’d rather have delay and get it right than rush to do something and get it wrong,” she says.

If there was one mistake with the project, it’s that council was far too optimistic at the start, says Krushell. “I was naive. When we first started looking at this I thought there were all these new technologies out there and you just had to go pick them, and it turns out it’s not quite the way I thought it was … It’s not that simple.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...atchford-right

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 9:19 PM
Community Guy

Plans for first residential phase in Blatchford unveiled
August 15, 2016

Media are invited to join Mayor Don Iveson and Councillor Bev Esslinger as they unveil the detailed neighbourhood map and new renderings for the first residential stage and park in Blatchford.

Date: August 16, 2016
Time: 12:30 p.m.

Media Contact:
Cheryl Mitchell
Communications Advisor
Communications and Public Engagement, City of Edmonton
780-944-0511

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture