HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 4:19 AM
Cat Enthusiast

UA Women's Gymnastics wins their 5th national championship!!!!!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 9:10 PM

Photos of the rampage path of the 4/27/11 tornado.

These are definitely not mine, but I don't know who took them (I think it was the T-News).

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 11:36 PM

unbelievable...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 12:47 AM
Old Fart Forumer

My heart goes out to Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, all of Alabama, and all of the southeast. So sad.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 10:55 PM

Another feather on Walt Maddox's cap.

Tuscaloosa named most livable city in America

Quote:
Tuscaloosa has been named the "most livable" city in America, tying Tallahassee, Fla., for top honors at the U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting in Baltimore.

Tuscaloosa was honored for its Pre-K Initiative, which helps academically at-risk four-year-olds achieve at a higher level. Ninety-three percent of the children who graduate from the initiative are no longer considered to be at risk academically, the Conference of Mayors said in a prepared statement.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 4:30 AM

Tuscaloosa County to need 8,600 new housing units, analysis shows

Quote:
Tuscaloosa County will need almost 8,600 new housing units over the next five years, but the overwhelming majority of them — 72 percent — will be in the price range of less than $125,000.

That’s the finding of an analysis of the Tuscaloosa housing market by the Alabama Center for Real Estate, MarketGraphics Southeast and Zanola Co. LLC, a real estate research and business improvement services firm.

The analysis released this week shows housing starts in Tuscaloosa County bottomed out in 2011 after a four-year free fall.
Very interesting article details the projected housing needs for the area over the next decade. One important point to take away from the report is that student housing needs are being met and only a marginal increase will be needed.

Quote:
- Student housing, which the study defined as housing specifically designated for college students, might need 300 to 699 units. The analysis said such housing “is inherently tied to increasing University of Alabama enrollment,” but it will be at a lower pace than the past few years.

“Based on the currently approved new student housing projects to be built, caution is recommended for approving additional student housing projects for the term of this forecast,” the study said.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Anyone wanna mention the fact that Alabama has won 4 national championships this season? Football, Women's Gymnastics, Women's Golf, and Softball. Amazing. Totally amazing. All of these athletes deserve every ounce of recognition that they receive.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:19 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Anyone wanna mention the fact that Alabama has won 4 national championships this season? Football, Women's Gymnastics, Women's Golf, and Softball. Amazing. Totally amazing. All of these athletes deserve every ounce of recognition that they receive.
Its such a great statement for the University, the city, and the state. I can't help but feel the athletics has been a part of moving the city forward given the events of the past year; the rallying that sports can provide for a town and fan base like ours is amazing. But I'm so glad that the University has 4 National Championships this year

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 9:30 AM

At a party tonight, a friend of the host involved in the development industry (not Stan Pate, he's a bit above you social range) told me that Whole Foods is one of the tenants at City Center - that new mixed-use development going up where Woods Square was before the April 2011 tornado. I was too absent-minded to discuss it with him further - I wish I had. Whole Foods isn't in any other city in Alabama other than Birmingham. Seems odd that would choose Tuscaloosa a second location in Alabama - UA or no UA - no student has THAT much of daddy's money to spend on groceries.

Meanwhile, the only thing that's happened at McFarland Mall - which was supposed to have made major progress towards its redevelopment as Encore Tuscaloosa - is the construction of a Cheddar's.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 9:50 AM

Whoops, I guess I spoke too soon about Encore!

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...p=all&tc=pgall

The highlight of the article other than the Cheddar's construction and Dillard's demolition is Stan Pate stating the Bed, Bath & Beyond and Kohl's have expressed definite interest in entering the market.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
UA or no UA - no student has THAT much of daddy's money to spend on groceries.
You're underestimating us, I know plenty of people on campus including myself who drive to the Whole Foods on 280 because it's what we're used to from home. I'm sure if the Whole Foods does open in town, it will be a huge success. The hot food and salad bar will be perfect for college students too.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 6:52 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
You're underestimating us, I know plenty of people on campus including myself who drive to the Whole Foods on 280 because it's what we're used to from home. I'm sure if the Whole Foods does open in town, it will be a huge success. The hot food and salad bar will be perfect for college students too.
You're a student at UA?

Btw, I actually agree. I mean, with 32,000 students at UA, in addition to the the other residents of Tuscaloosa/Northport (which is around 85,000), there's certainly demand.

EDIT: Btw, if the whole Whole Foods thing is true, I thing it's a huge shot in the arm for the recovery district. Such an investment from that kind of company definitely provides a high level of validation for the city's efforts. Kind of puts to the rest the whole argument between zoning relaxation in Joplin and zoning revision in Tuscaloosa.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 4:58 AM

Ok, let's say 1/3 of the student population and 5% of the non-student population would be regular customers of a Whole Foods. 1/3 of 32k + 5% of 160,000 is less than 20,000. Would that be enough of a market for them? Keep in mind that the entire Birmingham market of 1 million only has one store.

I wonder if my friend didn't mean Earth Fare, which has a location in Opelika.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Ok, let's say 1/3 of the student population and 5% of the non-student population would be regular customers of a Whole Foods. 1/3 of 32k + 5% of 160,000 is less than 20,000. Would that be enough of a market for them? Keep in mind that the entire Birmingham market of 1 million only has one store.

I wonder if my friend didn't mean Earth Fare, which has a location in Opelika.
They have a store in Bend, OR which is similar in size to Tuscaloosa minus a major university. My home county has three Whole Foods Markets with a population of 1.3 million and might get a few more. One of our Whole Foods is located in a shopping center attached to Florida Atlantic University and is meant for the students there to use as their main grocery store.
When I lived in Portland some of the Whole Foods there seemed redundant with other locations in close by neighborhoods but they still managed to stay in business so I don't see why it couldn't work in Tuscaloosa. There is an untapped market for healthier foods in town especially with a growing % of out of state students who don't want to eat unhealthy fried / fast food chain food. Manna Grocery is nice, but it's overpriced. I've even heard of people driving to Atlanta for Trader Joe's. After living in Tuscaloosa for the past two years I feel like it does not have enough restaurants or retail so a Whole Foods would be a welcome addition.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 8:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

^^^^^ I'm still reeling at the fact that you're a student at UA. You could potentially be one of my former or future students and I'd never have known it....!

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Jan 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
They have a store in Bend, OR which is similar in size to Tuscaloosa minus a major university. My home county has three Whole Foods Markets with a population of 1.3 million and might get a few more. One of our Whole Foods is located in a shopping center attached to Florida Atlantic University and is meant for the students there to use as their main grocery store.
When I lived in Portland some of the Whole Foods there seemed redundant with other locations in close by neighborhoods but they still managed to stay in business so I don't see why it couldn't work in Tuscaloosa. There is an untapped market for healthier foods in town especially with a growing % of out of state students who don't want to eat unhealthy fried / fast food chain food. Manna Grocery is nice, but it's overpriced. I've even heard of people driving to Atlanta for Trader Joe's. After living in Tuscaloosa for the past two years I feel like it does not have enough restaurants or retail so a Whole Foods would be a welcome addition.
After reading the lead comment from this article from al.com about WF possibly expanding into the Mobile market, it seems are you are correct in that the Tuscaloosa market would be large enough for WF.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-bu...to_mobile.html

Btw, I giggled at the bolded part. Don't they called WF "Whole Paycheck" for a reason?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 9:35 PM
Cat Enthusiast

It is overpriced, but just like some liquor stores, convenience trumps the extra money you spend. When you consider the large number of students that will be living at City Center, the number of students who don't wanna get in their cars and drive to Belle Foods when they have a sudden hunger for some small amount of groceries could provide a lot of business.

Also, when Brendan Moore came to speak to my Urban Planning Analysis this past semester, he mentioned something about a potential development across McFarland from City Center. Dunno what is it, but maybe Whole Foods knows something that the general public isn't privy to. He might have said that as the type of development they were hoping to attract to that location, though... I don't remember well, it was months ago.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
Also, when Brendan Moore came to speak to my Urban Planning Analysis this past semester, he mentioned something about a potential development across McFarland from City Center. Dunno what is it, but maybe Whole Foods knows something that the general public isn't privy to. He might have said that as the type of development they were hoping to attract to that location, though... I don't remember well, it was months ago.
Are you talking about Cedar Crest? I had heard that the owners of University Mall (Aranov) had snapped up a few selective parcels of land there to prevent the owners of the other parcels (H.E. Edwards) from having a cohesive and sizeable enough area to redevelop Cedar Crest as retail or mixed-use.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about Cedar Crest? I had heard that the owners of University Mall (Aranov) had snapped up a few selective parcels of land there to prevent the owners of the other parcels (H.E. Edwards) from having a cohesive and sizeable enough area to redevelop Cedar Crest as retail or mixed-use.
That's so annoying if they did that. I'm excited about The Lofts across the street and the rest of that development. I think it will end up being really nice. Definitely a whole lot better than what was there.

It'd be nice if a Whole Foods were to come to Tuscaloosa. I think with the population and the large number of students it's time we get a store like that. I know we have Manna, but a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or Earthfare would be nice.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 10:25 PM
surely you're not serious

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast