HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Well, to compare Dubai's islands with the Chunnel is not really realistic.
The islands of Dubai (well, all projects in Dubai) are built in order to get attention from the rest of the world, whereas the Chunnel (or the Öresund Bridge etc.) is a very important infrastructural project for Western Europe, and not built to say "look, here we are!".

I highly doubt that China would built something that expensive or wasteful such as artificial islands or 1000+ towers in the near future just to get recognition.
Why? Because China does not need recognition.

This doesn't mean that China has built/are building/planning huge projects such as the Three Gorges Dam (as you mentioned), massive infrastructural projects such as huge metro systems in numerous cities, massive bridges, the world's only Maglev train lines, brand new hyper-modern airports in almost every major city, the Beijing Olympics, as well as completely new cities to accomodate the 400 million people that are moving from rural areas in to urban areas - the biggest mass move of people in human history.

All these projects are indeed justified and built because they are a necissity.
Building artificial islands or space elevators just for show is not what China will do in a forseeable future - such projects belong to Dubai.

Very few people in North America know anything about the outside world...
So with your last comment how much do you know of the world? That is a pretty general statement to make, and I wouldn't mind seeing some proof to back it up.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:10 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post

Very few people in North America know anything about the outside world...
Don't lump us together. I could as easily say that all euros are ignorant bastards who jump to conclusons which are obviously incorrect and for that they are all imbeclicic. But I'd be basing that just on what you post, and that wouldn't be fair to the rest of Europe.
Try substantiaing claims once in a while. Its can help you not look so foolish even if you are utterly wrong.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
Dubai is outside the tropical zone, a bit above the Tropic of Cancer line.

To build a space elevator, you need to be over the equator, or just a few degrees over or below it.
My comments were meant to be slightly sarcastic. Dubai seems to be the only place with the will AND the money to make these fantastic projects happen.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture