HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 1:09 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,174
[Halifax] 1144-1150 Barrington Street | ? m | 5 fl | Proposed

New proposal for South Barrington Street across from Superstore between Kent and Tobin Streets.

https://georgesinvestments.ca/

It is also known as Halifax Planning Case #22069 and is proposed by Kassner/Goodspeed Architects.

__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 4:21 AM
TheNovaScotian's Avatar
TheNovaScotian TheNovaScotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 184
Here?

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 1:48 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,146
Looks like it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 6:10 PM
TheNovaScotian's Avatar
TheNovaScotian TheNovaScotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Looks like it.
Another causality of inaction, all three built in the 1890's. It's a shame, they're one of the brighter points of a fairly drab streetscape.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 10:45 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Another causality of inaction, all three built in the 1890's. It's a shame, they're one of the brighter points of a fairly drab streetscape.
I agree. Seems like a bad trade-off, and that row of houses should probably be a heritage streetscape.

This is another case while relatively nice buildings are being torn down while there's a Tim Hortons drive through nearby plus some other empty lots.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 2:37 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,134
Would this replace all 4 of the houses? It's not really clear in the images but the one rendering seems to suggest that it wouldn't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:05 AM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Would this replace all 4 of the houses? It's not really clear in the images but the one rendering seems to suggest that it wouldn't.
I've seen development notices on a the houses on that block. It really is unfortunate, since they really are a nice splash of vibrancy. And of course, 20m away is a vacant grass lot. Barrington St. south still has pockets of character but it does feel like it's getting chipped away.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 2:06 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,146
I have hesitated to respond, as typically my comment is countered with something to the effect of: "but... density!", and I am usually left with the feeling that nobody really cares. So, I don't bother so much anymore.

However I do agree that bit by bit we are losing areas of Halifax with 19th century character. This will be a loss to the street, and should have been protected, IMHO.

As a side note, the little piece of stone wall that is about to be removed is a sawed-off leftover of the period, as mentioned in the blog post below:

https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...ls-of-halifax/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:09 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,535
I would rather see something built in the empty lot further down. The lot that used to be the South End Diner.
__________________
I can't hear you with my eyes closed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 11:31 AM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I have hesitated to respond, as typically my comment is countered with something to the effect of: "but... density!", and I am usually left with the feeling that nobody really cares. So, I don't bother so much anymore.

However I do agree that bit by bit we are losing areas of Halifax with 19th century character. This will be a loss to the street, and should have been protected, IMHO.

As a side note, the little piece of stone wall that is about to be removed is a sawed-off leftover of the period, as mentioned in the blog post below:

https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...ls-of-halifax/
I generally agree with projects that bring density, and it is a nice part of town to have some more density in. It's also sad to lose three buildings with a lot of character, all while having a vacant lot, a drive through, and a massive surface parking lot, a stone's throw away.

I understand developers can't necessarily pick and chose - there's a limit to how much land is available and for sale, but it's still disappointing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:29 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I understand developers can't necessarily pick and chose - there's a limit to how much land is available and for sale, but it's still disappointing.
They buy up land and assemble lots based on development potential though. I have no doubt they'd be able to work around greatly expanded heritage protections in Halifax as long as they were clear from the outset.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 12:33 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,003
Here's what the developers have given us before
https://goo.gl/maps/8SHHiqmxZQdBYBRd6

According to AllNS, the family redeveloping these spots on Barrington developed and then sold 21 Parkland Dr.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 7:53 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Here's what the developers have given us before
https://goo.gl/maps/8SHHiqmxZQdBYBRd6

According to AllNS, the family redeveloping these spots on Barrington developed and then sold 21 Parkland Dr.
Higher quality than the norm in the burbs. Real brick???

Don't mind the form of that building aside from the triangular shapes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 12:44 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,286
Homes are being taken down today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 1:25 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 869
Interesting move. Design Review Committee turned them down, in part because the proposed building is replacing detailed, fine-grained houses with a relatively "blank" design. I wonder how DRC will respond when this comes back, now that the houses are gone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:33 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Interesting move. Design Review Committee turned them down, in part because the proposed building is replacing detailed, fine-grained houses with a relatively "blank" design. I wonder how DRC will respond when this comes back, now that the houses are gone.
What a messed up planning system...
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:00 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Interesting move. Design Review Committee turned them down, in part because the proposed building is replacing detailed, fine-grained houses with a relatively "blank" design. I wonder how DRC will respond when this comes back, now that the houses are gone.
Wow...
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:23 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.