HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:43 AM
The City

Does anybody know when 3300 N Clark will start construction? This is one of my favorite neighborhood TOD projects in the pipeline.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
^^Definitely and mostly improved, but it also seems to have been done by a team with no aesthetic eye or sense of detailing. The way one of the piers got chopped off for the lobby entrance is visually unsettling when the building is looked at as a whole, and who's bright idea was it to have the facade lighting slicing across one of the most interesting details on the building? Isn't that the feature you would want to light up? Lastly, anodized storefronts with limestone?
Admittedly that’d be my choice. This isn’t a perfect restoration. Just throw some kawneer storefront system in and let the tenant decide if they want to keep it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The bigger issue in my mind is simply that developers feel they need parking to sell condos.
Exactly. It’s as if developers and the City haven’t caught up with the revolution that has happened in terms of commuting patterns with Uber, Zipcar, corporate private busses and the like and mixed live/work communities like the West Loop becoming the new norm.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:56 PM
Urbane observer

The cars are not being stored near condo units for daily commuting to the Loop. They're used by people (like schoolteachers or sales reps) who have to get to outlying areas for work, or for weekend visits to family or vacation homes.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The cars are not being stored near condo units for daily commuting to the Loop. They're used by people (like schoolteachers or sales reps) who have to get to outlying areas for work, or for weekend visits to family or vacation homes.
This matches my experience. Rush hour transit numbers are as high as ever, people are replacing off-hours transit use with Uber/Lyft and using a car for trips to visit family, run errands and vacations.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Or those like me who can't make public transit work for them. I live in the Sloop and work elsewhere in the city. My choice is to drive 20 minutes, reliably every day, or to spend a minimum of an hour on 2 buses and and train if i'm lucky. If I miss a connection it can be 90 minutes or more. The choice is obvious.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:20 AM

Rust Never Sleeps

L.S.D. N Bound ramp - tween Randolph and Wacker

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:42 AM

I saw the photos in Crain's, but yours are way better. Unfortunately I think we will be seeing more of this type of failure in the coming years as our infrastructure continues to deteriorate. Take a look at a lot of the older steel bridges and you will see a lot of conditions that look similar.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:51 AM

Quote:
It’s the surburban reverse commute that is changing. Yes people wouldn’t be driving from the West Loop to the Loop, but corporate relocations into DT Chicago will slowly shrink the reverse commute into the burbs for work.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:11 AM

905 W Fulton

Feb 6

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:25 AM

930 W Fulton

Feb 6

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:47 AM

939 W Fulton Market

Feb 6

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:25 PM

Thanks for getting over and getting pics of the bridge Harry!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:38 PM

Perhaps this observation appeared somewhere else on the blog today. I witnessed soil testing equipment on the Friedman owned parking lot near 300 N Clark Street today. Just north of the Kitchen restaurant. Should have taken a picture.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:00 AM

^ Thanks for the update. I am very excited for that project as it will have yet another positive impact on the river canyon. It’s a McHugh job and they’ve just completed the budgeting phase with subcontractors.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeviewguy View Post
Perhaps this observation appeared somewhere else on the blog today. I witnessed soil testing equipment on the Friedman owned parking lot near 300 N Clark Street today. Just north of the Kitchen restaurant. Should have taken a picture.
Been at it since Tuesday - said they don't think they will be testing on the lower level.

Chicago | Drill baby drill by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:14 AM

Now seeing the damage up close, it’s worse than I thought. First breaking above that shoulder stiffener and then below it. Usually that overrun of the angle is enough to prevent this sort of thing from happening

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeviewguy View Post
I was just thinking about this lot a few days ago! Anyone know what happened with this proposal? https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/5/10...-to-neighbors-

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:39 PM

Not that I'm an expert on bridges, but I did notice since they recently repaved that LSD bridge, they made the asphalt have a really high ridge along the expansion joints of the bridge. So every time you go over the expansion joints you car crashes down into the other side of the joint. It's like a speed bump now over the expansion joints. I don't remember it being such a big bump before it was repaved. Maybe that is causing alot more stress on those bridge joints now everyday. They should smooth out those bumps.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 10:21 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Have we reached peak gray facade with fake warehouse windows yet? Geez

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development