HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #421  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:11 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,107
Looks like a large crowd was protesting how long this construction project is taking:


Source
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #422  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 9:56 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,220
This one is actually slower than a govt construction project, which is quite the feat!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #423  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 11:45 PM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 852
Just how long has this been both under consideration and then being built?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #424  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:22 AM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Just how long has this been both under consideration and then being built?
The building was gutted in 1991, and the first post in the forum regarding this project was from 2010.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #425  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:37 PM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 852
Wow.... I can't imagine how they will ever make any money out of this one...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #426  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:21 AM
alps's Avatar
alps alps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,439
On-site work began in October 2014. It's now been under construction for five years. One Bloor, a 75-storey building in Toronto, was completed faster than this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #427  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:49 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
On-site work began in October 2014. It's now been under construction for five years. One Bloor, a 75-storey building in Toronto, was completed faster than this.
One suspects that project did not have the Five Guys Named Moe doing the work however.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #428  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:38 AM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 470
Went by today and one of the windows in the ground floor has been installed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #429  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:57 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,765
The glass on the highest part is now also installed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #430  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:20 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,107
I'm still wondering what sort of restoration work they plan on doing to the old facade. You'd think that installing windows would interfere with at least some masonry work, so maybe that implies that work isn't going to happen?

For a Keith Hall level restoration job I think they'd need to replace a lot of the stonework and at least repoint the brick if not replace some of it. I'm not sure if there are techniques for restoring the bricks themselves.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #431  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:02 PM
hoser111's Avatar
hoser111 hoser111 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm still wondering what sort of restoration work they plan on doing to the old facade. You'd think that installing windows would interfere with at least some masonry work, so maybe that implies that work isn't going to happen?

For a Keith Hall level restoration job I think they'd need to replace a lot of the stonework and at least repoint the brick if not replace some of it. I'm not sure if there are techniques for restoring the bricks themselves.
Faux brick vinyl siding.......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #432  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:09 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm still wondering what sort of restoration work they plan on doing to the old facade. You'd think that installing windows would interfere with at least some masonry work, so maybe that implies that work isn't going to happen?

For a Keith Hall level restoration job I think they'd need to replace a lot of the stonework and at least repoint the brick if not replace some of it. I'm not sure if there are techniques for restoring the bricks themselves.
With the "speed" at which this one has progressed, I don't hold out any hope that there will be a high level restoration on the facade... or at least one that we could expect to be completed in the next decade or so...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #433  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:25 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
With the "speed" at which this one has progressed, I don't hold out any hope that there will be a high level restoration on the facade... or at least one that we could expect to be completed in the next decade or so...
They may need to conduct restoration on the modern components by the time this is ready to open.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #434  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 10:54 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
They may need to conduct restoration on the modern components by the time this is ready to open.



Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Oct 26, 2019 at 3:03 PM. Reason: Deleted an extra smiley that some how got in there...
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:27 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.