HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 12:41 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I've played this course in Mississauga. It's an old landfill site. Shot 77.
After 9 ?

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:04 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I thought this was the question:
"Originally Posted by Pinion
Which reliable source says Calgary metro is more than 1.2 million?"

If I was asked that question, my answer would be, "What would you consider to be a reliable source?"

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:06 AM
Human Scale

Downtown Vancouver views from Lonsdale
by jenn chan, on Flickr Taken on May 2, 2016

Vancouver
by luke.me.up, on Flickr Taken on May 1, 2016

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:35 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Those are mountains on the far right, correct? (It can be hard to tell mountains from clouds when they're that far away...)

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:48 AM

Good grief, those Vancouver pics are off the hook!! Spectacular.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 4:04 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Those are mountains on the far right, correct? (It can be hard to tell mountains from clouds when they're that far away...)
Yep, you can see the gulf islands/Vancouver island clearly from West Van on a clear day.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 5:17 AM
ARTchitecture

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 12:53 PM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
"Originally Posted by Pinion
Which reliable source says Calgary metro is more than 1.2 million?"

If I was asked that question, my answer would be, "What would you consider to be a reliable source?"
Agreed. I mean, what would a person active on a forum where city and metro populations are discussed ad nauseum expect (off the top of their heads) Calgary's population to be?

Everyone here knows it's not 3 million, or even 2 million. And everyone knows it's way more than 500k or 750k...

BTW, I am one of the first ones on here to have a bit of good-natured fun with our friend Chad and some of the other Calgary boosters, but still...

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:04 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agreed. I mean, what would a person active on a forum where city and metro populations are discussed ad nauseum expect (off the top of their heads) Calgary's population to be?

Everyone here knows it's not 3 million, or even 2 million. And everyone knows it's way more than 500k or 750k...

BTW, I am one of the first ones on here to have a bit of good-natured fun with our friend Chad and some of the other Calgary boosters, but still...
I can understand the other side of the argument though... it's heavily dependent on context. For example, if Chad had instead said something like

"Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa are cities of a million and a half and Vancouver is a city of two million and a half"

I am sure absolutely no one would've been like "huh, the Calgary CMA has already officially hit 1 500 000? Sounds hard to believe. Source?" because the context implies approximation.

But his post (which started with Winnipeg at 810 000, etc.) hinted at a certain level of approximation -- especially considering the significant digit he chose for Winnipeg (which could easily have been rounded to 800 000).

The clincher, of course, is when you know the guy -- a much more natural post for him would be something along the lines of "Calgary CMA has officially reached 1.45 million, but if the stubborn idiots at StatsCan finally saw the light and included Okotoks, we'd be at 1.47 million!".

It's a bit strange to imagine that guy (obsessed with population numbers and not even rounding Winnipeg down to a nice 800 000) conjuring up an extra 50 000 people out of thin air like that... it's very out of character.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:47 PM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I can understand the other side of the argument though... it's heavily dependent on context. For example, if Chad had instead said something like

"Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa are cities of a million and a half and Vancouver is a city of two million and a half"

I am sure absolutely no one would've been like "huh, the Calgary CMA has already officially hit 1 500 000? Sounds hard to believe. Source?" because the context implies approximation.

But his post (which started with Winnipeg at 810 000, etc.) hinted at a certain level of approximation -- especially considering the significant digit he chose for Winnipeg (which could easily have been rounded to 800 000).

The clincher, of course, is when you know the guy -- a much more natural post for him would be something along the lines of "Calgary CMA has officially reached 1.45 million, but if the stubborn idiots at StatsCan finally saw the light and included Okotoks, we'd be at 1.47 million!".

It's a bit strange to imagine that guy (obsessed with population numbers and not even rounding Winnipeg down to a nice 800 000) conjuring up an extra 50 000 people out of thin air like that... it's very out of character.
Stats Can reports that there are a number of census forms that have been delivered and filled out in Okotoks.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:37 PM
Centrist to the core.

Vous êtes tous malades, une criss de gang de malades... They should call some of you up when the advocate for the devil needs an advocate. "Pass me that hair, and the exact-o knife..."

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:40 PM
Centrist to the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post

Downtown Vancouver views from Lonsdale
by jenn chan, on Flickr Taken on May 2, 2016
Love this one.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:44 PM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
Vous êtes tous malades, une criss de gang de malades... They should call some of you up when the advocate for the devil needs an advocate. "Pass me that hair, and the exact-o knife..."
T'es qui, toé?

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
Many people here are self-described "stats geeks", so of course arguing over that kind of minutiae is their turf. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not really a stats geek, I don't care, I wouldn't have had an issue with Calgary at 1.4M or Calgary at 1.5M or Winnipeg at 800k or Winnipeg at 810k... you'll notice I only put my two cents in much later

P.S. Y'en a effectivement certains ici que je qualifierais de... je n'irais pas jusqu'à dire "malades", mais "particuliers" ou "spéciaux". Mais à mon avis ça n'inclut ni Acajack ni moi-même...

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:35 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:08 AM
MTL♥

Ummmmm I was just curious about the population ....I just didn't know it was that much. ! That's all. Why is it everytime every little comment said about Calgary or Edmonton or whatever...everyone just freaks out? Wtf?? Calm the fu*k down! Et monsieur lio45 j'espère que tu parle pas de moi non plus!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:23 AM
Centrist to the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Many people here are self-described "stats geeks", so of course arguing over that kind of minutiae is their turf. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not really a stats geek, I don't care, I wouldn't have had an issue with Calgary at 1.4M or Calgary at 1.5M or Winnipeg at 800k or Winnipeg at 810k... you'll notice I only put my two cents in much later

P.S. Y'en a effectivement certains ici que je qualifierais de... je n'irais pas jusqu'à dire "malades", mais "particuliers" ou "spéciaux". Mais à mon avis ça n'inclut ni Acajack ni moi-même...
Je'l sais ben. Je vous niaisais. Les nerfs, les boys! (Tu te sens visé, G.S?) N'empêche que vous êtes toujours une gang de malades, Et Acajack, puisque tu me demandes, j't'un "mutt".

Anywho, walking around downtown Edmonton sure has a different vibe than it did 10 years ago when I first moved here. I sound like a broken record when I say it but I'm looking forward to 2018 when most of the facelift will be complete. Objectively, I don't see the changes increasing our status/standing among Canadian city "places to be", but I also don't think anyone will disagree that these improvements were long overdue. We were quite possibly the poster city for Neglect for 30 years (in Canada, anyway), unless parking lots are considered a sign of prosperity...

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:18 AM

We got a census form that didn't have anything in it except instruction but nothing to fill out.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:29 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
We got a census form that didn't have anything in it except instruction but nothing to fill out.
It's all to be done online, isn't it? If you want a paper copy, you have to call them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada