HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:46 PM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Are the tracks in CN’s current alignment not at all reusable?

Edit: Sorry that was a dumb question. I forgot it’s just like replacing a bridge.

Ps: You sure have an interesting network of friends.
I get around.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:25 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
Wait what?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:34 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Well I went a bit off-topic when I noticed that swimmer_spe has friends from many "interesting places".

Too bad Trudeau was in Sudbury and didn't even intend to fund Highway 69 twinning.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:37 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
Trudeau has a tough chance in the next election
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:40 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Welp it's all on the province then. We will have to wait 20 years to see things done.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:41 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
In Canada, yes
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:24 PM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Wait what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Well I went a bit off-topic when I noticed that swimmer_spe has friends from many "interesting places".

Too bad Trudeau was in Sudbury and didn't even intend to fund Highway 69 twinning.
Yeas, I get around. I have lived in 3 provinces, and have met many people around the country. I have crossed Canada a few times. I currently live in the Sudbury area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:30 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Yeas, I get around. I have lived in 3 provinces, and have met many people around the country. I have crossed Canada a few times. I currently live in the Sudbury area.
I think I'm starting to get your words, "Hook up a trailer and drive from one bay to another; then you see which one's easier to twin."
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:33 PM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I think I'm starting to get your words, "Hook up a trailer and drive from one bay to another; then you see which one's easier to twin."
I have towed a 2100lb trailer from Victoria to Sudbury. I have towed other trailers along 11 and 17. After doing it a few times, you know the bad spots. You realize how bad the highways are. You also know which ones are not that bad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:09 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Hook up a trailer and drive from one bay to another; then you see which one's easier to twin.
Wasn't that your signature Dengler?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:26 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Wasn't that your signature Dengler?
Hahaha yes. Then I decided to be quiet about highway twinning and switch to talking about public transit.

Edit: I figured I should give you some context.

swimmer_spe and I were messaging each other back and forth, and at that time I used to have the emblem of Highway 417 as my profile picture. Swimmer was like, "What's with the 417 emblem?"

I said I wanted to see 417 extended all the way to ON/MB boundary at first, but that then I saw somewhat convincing arguments that twinning should be done to the 11 instead, and that I've been back and forth since.

Then he said the lines in my old signature.

@swimmer_spe my apologies if I expose you too much
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:45 AM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Hahaha yes. Then I decided to be quiet about highway twinning and switch to talking about public transit.

Edit: I figured I should give you some context.

swimmer_spe and I were messaging each other back and forth, and at that time I used to have the emblem of Highway 417 as my profile picture. Swimmer was like, "What's with the 417 emblem?"

I said I wanted to see 417 extended all the way to ON/MB boundary at first, but that then I saw somewhat convincing arguments that twinning should be done to the 11 instead, and that I've been back and forth since.

Then he said the lines in my old signature.

@swimmer_spe my apologies if I expose you too much
That's ok.

And, yes, if you want to know which route would be better to twin, pull a trailer behind you. Quickly you will see which is easier to drive, and also which has more traffic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 3:29 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
The 17 is the tourist route. A freeway will bring more tourists, but the 17 is scenic. The 11 is the "trucker's route" and if it will be tolled, the 11 is probably a better route. I should keep my big mouth shut though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 8:46 PM
wave46 wave46 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
The 17 is the tourist route. A freeway will bring more tourists, but the 17 is scenic. The 11 is the "trucker's route" and if it will be tolled, the 11 is probably a better route. I should keep my big mouth shut though.
Freeway brings more tourists?

Not many people drive freeways for 'tourism'. They drive roads for scenery, which 17 provides. I can't see anyone driving thousands of kilometres to drive a freeway in the boonies. Something like the Cabot Trail, sure. I don't think the masses will do trips up to Lake Superior Provincial Park from Toronto now that you can drive there on a freeway.

Tolling 11 will absolutely thrill the many small communities along that highway. "Hey, everybody in Kapuskasing, you now have to pay a toll to go to Timmins to pay for a freeway!" said the MPP just prior to the angry mob burning his office to the ground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 9:46 PM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Freeway brings more tourists?

Not many people drive freeways for 'tourism'. They drive roads for scenery, which 17 provides. I can't see anyone driving thousands of kilometres to drive a freeway in the boonies. Something like the Cabot Trail, sure. I don't think the masses will do trips up to Lake Superior Provincial Park from Toronto now that you can drive there on a freeway.

Tolling 11 will absolutely thrill the many small communities along that highway. "Hey, everybody in Kapuskasing, you now have to pay a toll to go to Timmins to pay for a freeway!" said the MPP just prior to the angry mob burning his office to the ground.
Maybe put it west of Hearst.

mind you, do that and trucks will likely take 17 or 101.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 3:06 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
I meant for a freeway. "411" but I believe it is impractical to toll the 11. Sorry ... I should also keep my mouth shut about places I don't go often.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:33 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
I meant for a freeway. "411" but I believe it is impractical to toll the 11. Sorry ... I should also keep my mouth shut about places I don't go often.
Perfect. If you have 1.5 weeks of summer vacation, attach an RV, and drive from Ottawa to Winnipeg and back. Go there via the 17 (Lake Superior Route) and back via 11 (Northern Ontario Route). Then report which one’s more stressful.

=======
Back to topic:
Nothing new?
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 6:57 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
I should quit this thread ...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 7:49 PM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
I should quit this thread ...
Why?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:20 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
https://www.thesudburystar.com/news/...69m-for-hwy-69

Feds to chip in $169M to finish 400. Let the vote-buying game begin.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.