HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:48 PM
dubu's Avatar
dubu dubu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: bend oregon
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Philadelphia or New York? https://goo.gl/maps/36mwzWKjEYxS6C9d7

Philadelphia or New York? https://goo.gl/maps/tZgE2pMC5Z4FSHu37
you can see trash in the new York one heh
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:49 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,946
^ I honestly didn't look at the city and knew instantly which one was which mainly because of Philly's federal style.

That being said, yeah they're basically the same but New York doesn't seem to have any original thirteen colony stuff left and obviously has wider streets.
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:05 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
That being said, yeah they're basically the same but New York doesn't seem to have any original thirteen colony stuff left and obviously has wider streets.
Not as much survived in NYC from the colonial era - compared to Philly and Boston - because the city tore down a lot to grow, but the buildings are not entirely gone. For instance:

George Washington frequented this bar/restaurant:
https://goo.gl/maps/FVA7dLFV9euGp4sx9
The buildings on the left: https://goo.gl/maps/eGe196eCSpXUHm5x5

There are other examples through lower Manhattan, and also in upper Manhattan. There are also a few buildings still standing in Brooklyn.

Last edited by iheartthed; Aug 8, 2019 at 5:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:15 PM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 19,235
Oldest bldg in NYC dates to 1652; in Philly, oldest building dates to 1689. In any case, neither city has a huge amount of pre-Revolutionary building stock, and both are dominated by early 20th century architecture.

But Philly has the tiny rowhouse alleys around Society Hill. NYC lacks this. Some of the mews in Brooklyn and the West Village come closest, but still have a slightly different feel.

Philly has this, which is just terrific:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...!4d-75.1598846

Brooklyn Mews streets are often gated, so you don't have the public access:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1+...1!4d-73.998344
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:13 PM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Oldest bldg in NYC dates to 1652; in Philly, oldest building dates to 1689. In any case, neither city has a huge amount of pre-Revolutionary building stock, and both are dominated by early 20th century architecture.

But Philly has the tiny rowhouse alleys around Society Hill. NYC lacks this. Some of the mews in Brooklyn and the West Village come closest, but still have a slightly different feel.

Philly has this, which is just terrific:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...!4d-75.1598846

Brooklyn Mews streets are often gated, so you don't have the public access:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1+...1!4d-73.998344

Those Philadelphia streets are some of the best urbanity in the world IMHO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:44 PM
plutonicpanda plutonicpanda is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 511
^^^ That is beautiful!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:46 PM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 19,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
^^^ That is beautiful!
I picked out basically the most charming block in the city, but yeah, Philly has some fantastic blocks. It's criminally underrated from an urbanist perspective.

Strictly in terms of street level feel, don't see how you can rank it worse than 2nd in North America.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:02 AM
Shawn Shawn is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Strictly in terms of street level feel, don't see how you can rank it worse than 2nd in North America.
Thems fighting words! My biased homerism demands I ask you: does the aggregate best of Philly top the aggregate best of Boston? Beacon Hill, North End, Bay Village, South End? I’ll leave out Back Bay as the streets are a bit too wide.

I’m honestly asking, I’m not sure of the answer.
__________________
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:59 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Thems fighting words! My biased homerism demands I ask you: does the aggregate best of Philly top the aggregate best of Boston? Beacon Hill, North End, Bay Village, South End? I’ll leave out Back Bay as the streets are a bit too wide.

I’m honestly asking, I’m not sure of the answer.
I actually paused and thought to add a nod to Boston in my post. Personally, those tiny streets in Philadelphia with a tree canopy edge out the competition for me. However, Boston is insanely beautiful too but it seems like at least in the North End there is a lack of trees? Maybe I am google mapping the wrong areas? Don't get me wrong, I would live in the North End in a second(but couldn't afford it). It's such a nice change from what we find in most American cities.

Last edited by jtown,man; Aug 9, 2019 at 3:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:14 AM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,123
Looking alike and patterns of development are entirely different things.

I'm always amazed at how many people on here are "experts", yet have quite obviously never studied urban development in a formal setting. Because if one had, one of the first courses one would take would be something dealing with comparative urban geography and development patterns... and Philadelphia and New York are literal textbook examples of two American cities which grew at the same general time, yet exhibit significantly different patterns of development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:18 AM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Looking alike and patterns of development are entirely different things..
^ This, this, and this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:23 AM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Looking alike and patterns of development are entirely different things.

I'm always amazed at how many people on here are "experts", yet have quite obviously never studied urban development in a formal setting. Because if one had, one of the first courses one would take would be something dealing with comparative urban geography and development patterns... and Philadelphia and New York are literal textbook examples of two American cities which grew at the same general time, yet exhibit significantly different patterns of development.
there was just like 9 posts of people stating and demonstrating the opposite.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:12 AM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Philadelphia or New York? https://goo.gl/maps/36mwzWKjEYxS6C9d7

Philadelphia or New York? https://goo.gl/maps/tZgE2pMC5Z4FSHu37
Your point?

Houston or Los Angeles? https://goo.gl/maps/2UWcTDLSe26GYKjr9

Houston or Los Angeles? https://goo.gl/maps/Xai3Z1r1hL7PYB7M6

San Francisco or San Antonio? https://goo.gl/maps/F2tDHq3iKRQFzUc78

San Francisco or San Antonio? https://goo.gl/maps/mswrPUCsFo4TmjaAA

And I can show you parts of Milwaukee that resemble Chicago, parts of Kansas City that resemble Indianapolis, parts of Dallas that resemble Atlanta, etc.

Does that necessarily mean they all maintain the same built form? Not at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:43 AM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 19,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Looking alike and patterns of development are entirely different things.
What "patterns of development"? Again, neither city has much remaining from the colonial era, so it doesn't really matter what was going on then. Both have current "patterns of development" from the same era.

Cologne was the most important Roman city north of the Alps, but it's almost entirely a post WW2 city today. What does it matter if there used to be other stuff 2000 years ago?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:45 AM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 19,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Thems fighting words! My biased homerism demands I ask you: does the aggregate best of Philly top the aggregate best of Boston? Beacon Hill, North End, Bay Village, South End? I’ll leave out Back Bay as the streets are a bit too wide.
I'd say yes, slightly. Boston has excellent urbanism too, of course, but a bit less volume, and I think the top tier (say Beacon Hill) is a tad less charming than the best of Society Hill. But this is all subjective, of course.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 12:47 PM
plutonicpanda plutonicpanda is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Yeah, it's too bad the old ValTrans initiative that would have kickstarted rail transit in Phoenix in 1989 failed--it would have built elevated trains. It was planned to build out 100 miles of trains by 2019.
Wow that would have been nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:29 PM
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Thems fighting words! My biased homerism demands I ask you: does the aggregate best of Philly top the aggregate best of Boston? Beacon Hill, North End, Bay Village, South End? I’ll leave out Back Bay as the streets are a bit too wide.

I’m honestly asking, I’m not sure of the answer.
Bay Village:
https://goo.gl/maps/5y4eEW1XuYewPhG18

https://goo.gl/maps/LoD1TMmjRmpqsDrh9

Not too many people know of it. Little pocket within the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:51 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Your point?

Houston or Los Angeles? https://goo.gl/maps/2UWcTDLSe26GYKjr9

Houston or Los Angeles? https://goo.gl/maps/Xai3Z1r1hL7PYB7M6

San Francisco or San Antonio? https://goo.gl/maps/F2tDHq3iKRQFzUc78

San Francisco or San Antonio? https://goo.gl/maps/mswrPUCsFo4TmjaAA

And I can show you parts of Milwaukee that resemble Chicago, parts of Kansas City that resemble Indianapolis, parts of Dallas that resemble Atlanta, etc.

Does that necessarily mean they all maintain the same built form? Not at all.
Cool cities can’t be compared then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:34 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Your point?

Houston or Los Angeles? https://goo.gl/maps/2UWcTDLSe26GYKjr9

Houston or Los Angeles? https://goo.gl/maps/Xai3Z1r1hL7PYB7M6

San Francisco or San Antonio? https://goo.gl/maps/F2tDHq3iKRQFzUc78

San Francisco or San Antonio? https://goo.gl/maps/mswrPUCsFo4TmjaAA

And I can show you parts of Milwaukee that resemble Chicago, parts of Kansas City that resemble Indianapolis, parts of Dallas that resemble Atlanta, etc.

Does that necessarily mean they all maintain the same built form? Not at all.
Don't strain yourself moving those goal posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I was all over Philadelphia today. I was all over New York today.

Philadelphia and New York are nothing alike, from a development perspective.
I just pointed out to you the absurdity of your statement. Of course they are different cities, but they share some aesthetic qualities - in places - that don't exist in most other cities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:40 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Looking alike and patterns of development are entirely different things.

I'm always amazed at how many people on here are "experts", yet have quite obviously never studied urban development in a formal setting. Because if one had, one of the first courses one would take would be something dealing with comparative urban geography and development patterns... and Philadelphia and New York are literal textbook examples of two American cities which grew at the same general time, yet exhibit significantly different patterns of development.
Can you elaborate? I'd honestly like to know.
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.