HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:04 PM

This is a good idea if they can keep the facade to remind one of the historic building. Not too many of this style around ATL; very common profile found in the mid-atlantic region; with this notable, pseudo Georgian appearance.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:26 PM

New stadium plan: Demolish Dome

Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons and Georgia World Congress Center Authority reached consensus that it makes more financial and logistical sense to build one new $948 million football stadium with a retractable roof than to retrofit the Georgia Dome.

They also suggested a new location just south of the Georgia Dome may be favored for the new stadium.

To date, the most talked about area for the next home of the Falcons was an area north of the Georgia Dome at the intersection of Northside Drive and Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard. But now a new site gaining favor is the area immediately south of Georgia Dome and just west of the Gulch, which itself could be redeveloped into a mixed-use complex centered around a bus and rail terminal.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ium-would.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 10:16 PM

The absurdity of spending a billion dollars on a new stadium is hard to contemplate. It will, of course, become a reality. We could build two symphony halls, but why culture and not modern Roman games.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
This is a good idea if they can keep the facade to remind one of the historic building. Not too many of this style around ATL; very common profile found in the mid-atlantic region; with this notable, pseudo Georgian appearance.
I agree and I think its an acceptable way to preserve the architecture. I'm curious about what the permit application means about Tech's timetable for this project.

On the other hand, the Midtown Neighbors’ Association Board of Directors voted to officially oppose the recent application for the two-thirds demolition of the Crum & Forster Building.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I agree and I think its an acceptable way to preserve the architecture. I'm curious about what the permit application means about Tech's timetable for this project.

On the other hand, the Midtown Neighbors’ Association Board of Directors voted to officially oppose the recent application for the two-thirds demolition of the Crum & Forster Building.
What sort of official importance does the vote have?

I think the latest plan is about as good an outcome as we can hope for. Save most of the building's nice architecture and get a great new tech-oriented development.

On another note, Atlanta's latest office absorption data is in:

http://dsg.colliers.com/document.aspx?report=2816.pdf

+625,000 SF

Q1 2012 turns out to have been the best quarter for Atlanta's office market in a couple years. Still a good bit slower than in the mid-2000s (we would normally see well over a million SF a quarter then) but definitely an improvement--filling roughly the equivalent of a large office tower, enough to bring vacancy down a full percentage point in some submarkets.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:56 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:

I like this. Is this happening anytime soon?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:28 PM

The retaining of the significant facade certainly works in the new building diagram as shown. And I do think that is what is the best solution. I live in Edinburgh for many years and the magnificent George Street retained its character nicely although most buildings were by the end of the century only facades with modern facilities behind them. The local architects there called this approach "gut and stuff." Modern offices now have such a powerful need for up to date wiring and technical apparatus that older structures can't supply without seriously compromising their historical integrity.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:20 AM

Novare Looks to Build 23-Story Mixed-Use Project on 6th

Quote:
According to draft agenda for next week’s Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting, a new application has been submitted for the construction of a mixed-use project located at the northwest corner of 6th and Juniper streets in Midtown.

The “Novare Residential” application calls for a 23-story building including ground floor retail and 320 residential units.
http://midtown.patch.com/d/articles/...project-on-6th

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 9:47 PM

100 6th street

Novare's proposed tower on the Viewpoint block.

Quote:
Atlanta developer Novare Group is proposing a 23-story mixed-use tower with up to 320 apartment units in Midtown.
The project, known as 100 6th Street, would take shape near the intersection of Juniper and next door to Viewpoint, a condo tower Novare developed.
The site is the former home of establishments including Loca Luna and McCray's Sixth Street Tavern. The property has sat vacant for several years, raising public safety issues in the immediate area, nearby residents have said.
The plans for 100 6th Street are to be discussed today at a Midtown development review committee meeting at the 999 Peachtree building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...own-tower.html

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Novare's proposed tower on the Viewpoint block.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...own-tower.html
it seems strange to me that the 3 apt. towers going up in midtown are all 23 stories. must be some kind of diminishing returns seen past that height with the current market. (?)

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimAtl View Post
it seems strange to me that the 3 apt. towers going up in midtown are all 23 stories. must be some kind of diminishing returns seen past that height with the current market. (?)
I'm not sure about the economics of a 23 building and why Daniel Corp's tower is also 23 stories. As for Novare, from what I remember reading a few months ago, apparently everything we'll be seeing from Novare over the next few years will be that exact same 23 story building with a parking deck situated next door. They're supposed to be taking their cookie cutter approach up a notch and building the exact same tower for most of their upcoming apartment developments. They're also all supposed to be branded "Skyhouse XXX" along the lines of Post XXX or Alta XXX. If you look for the renderings of the original Skyhouse Midtown project they're currently building, the buildings are exactly the same. The only difference is it appears they're giving us a better street treatment of the neighboring parking deck on this new project.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 1:09 AM

What he said.

I think 77 12th being exactly 23 stories is somewhat of a coincidence because unlike the Novare projects, the apartments will be above the parking deck. I do remember reading somewhere that the "sweet spot" for highrise rentals in this market is around 20 - 25 stories.

Btw 77 12th is actually 22 stories.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 8:58 PM

Here's another angle of Novare's proposed parking deck with an apartment tower.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 4:23 AM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

When do you think construction on this will start? I love the design of this building!!!!! ...the parking deck is another story. Oh well...

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
When do you think construction on this will start? I love the design of this building!!!!! ...the parking deck is another story. Oh well...
Novare estimated delivery will be in 2013 or 2014. It may depend on the performance of Skyhouse.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Here's another angle of Novare's proposed parking deck with an apartment tower.

Just curious, this seems like so much parking deck for that builging, esp. footprint-wise. I wonder if they have worked in a second foundation for another tower in there to be added later?

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Just curious, this seems like so much parking deck for that builging, esp. footprint-wise. I wonder if they have worked in a second foundation for another tower in there to be added later?
I seriously doubt it because of the new strategy Novare is implementing. They are building an apartment brand (Skyhouse) and plan to repeat the same building, with some minor cosmetic changes, and detached parking. They have a Skyhouse planned for Austin, Raleigh and Orlando that I know of and there are probably others.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 10:49 PM

Does anyone have the proposed renderings of Gilbert's, Mi Cocina, and Cafe Intermezzo that they can post?

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 9:12 PM

Buckhead Atlanta apts start this fall

Quote:
The two apartment towers, totaling over 300 units, will begin construction late this summer with an expected 2013 delivery. And OliverMcMillan expects to begin work on the more than 300k SF of retail by this fall in two phases.

http://www.bisnow.com/atlanta-real-e...art-this-fall/

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:21 AM

High Museum property in play

Quote:
A site across from Midtown’s High Museum of Art is one step closer to becoming a high-profile development — after being nothing more than a pile of dirt with lofty ambitions for the past five years.

The nearly 2-acre tract at 1301 Peachtree St. should be sold next month, according to current owner John Wieland, CEO of John Wieland Homes & Neighborhoods Inc.

Alvin D. James hopes to buy the 1301 Peachtree St. tract for a proposed $150 million, 30-story mid-rise tower with a five-star, 150-room hotel, 70 luxury condos and 24 penthouses.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...y-in-play.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta