HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Finally some more stores on the West side!! Target will be here soon!
Well, Target will be on the East side. Wal-Mart on the West.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:34 AM

Saint John MLA stands by criticism of city funding for YMCA
Government has a responsibility to focus on priorities: Holder.

News staff Andrew Cromwell Mar 19, 2012 07:37:29 AM

SAINT JOHN, N.B. - Saint John Portland MLA Trevor Holder remains unapologetic following his recent remarks about the city's decision not to set aside budget money for a new YMCA building in the north end.

Holder's comments sparked reaction from Mayor Ivan Court and Councillor Peter McGuire who pointed out the city is making in-kind donations for the new "Y".

Holder says his government has a responsibility to focus on it's stated priorities for the city which include a first class and fully accessible YMCA. "I have a mandate, my caucus has a mandate. for those priorities. I think others should be very clear that when you build things you need a mandate from the people."

Holder says the province needs to make sure it finds the money to commit to it's priorities.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
Products are cool and prob has its target demographic. I will check it out but agreed, looks too hip for me...
That would differ from the camouflage style often seen in Saint John...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 1:59 AM

Liquid Gold Tasting Bar & All things Olive will be opening along Prince Williams Street

http://www.allthingsolive.ca/pages/about-us

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:55 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Great news for Saint John and New Brunswick as a whole!

Quote:
Port of Saint John Welcomes First Global Container Service in More than A Quarter Century

March 21, 2012

Saint John (NB) – Members of the Port of Saint John community and dignitaries from three levels of government welcomed officials from Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) during a public announcement held at the Marco Polo Cruise Terminal today.

MSC is a privately owned global container shipping line operating in 6 continents and calling over 300 ports worldwide. MSC, the second largest container shipping line in the world, is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and in Canada their ships operate at Canada’s 2 largest ports, Vancouver and Montreal.

“The introduction of MSC to Port Saint John this May with a bi-weekly service brings a global container connection for New Brunswick shippers which have not been available for the past quarter century,” noted Jim Quinn, President & CEO of Saint John Port Authority. “This is a key step in Port Saint John’s renewal strategy”.

“The Port of Saint John is a key player in developing the economy of Saint John and New Brunswick,” said Premier David Alward. “The addition of the Port of Saint John to MSC’s ports of call is another key partnership for the Saint John Port Authority.”

“I am thrilled to hear today that our Port is realizing success in their pursuit of growth in the container business. It has been a quarter of a century since Saint John has had global container line and starting in May we will once again have this service,” commented Rodney Weston, MP for Saint John. “I commend the creative leadership at our Port and their innovative approaches to bringing new business opportunities to our city and region.”

“We are honored to be part of the renewal strategy of Port of Saint John and the means of creation of new, international business opportunities for the industries of New Brunswick” said Mr. Sokat Shaikh, President of MSC Canada.

The MSC container service connecting Port Saint John to the world will begin in May 2012 and be available every other week.

---

Media contacts:

Paula Small, Manager of Public Relations Saint John Port Authority, Cell (506) 650-5288, Email psmall@sjport.com

Bruce Macfarlane, Economic Development, Province of New Brunswick, Tel: 506-453-8607

Sarah Norgaard, Sales Regional Manager, MSC (Canada) Inc., Cell: (514) 358-8257 or (506) 608-9647
Source: http://www.sjport.com/english/news_e...sp?PressID=268

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 7:46 PM

Some progress on Cruise Ship Terminal #2's foundation.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 11:45 AM

New Kent store on the West side hasn't started yet?

Hope to see that get going soon!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 1:43 PM

Millennium Dr

Does anyone have any information as to what they are building on the Quispamsis end of Millennium? They are clearing a very large parcel of land for something.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 2:19 AM

Electric Cars To Be Built In Saint John
Get ready for Bricklin deja vu - a Chinese manufacturer of electric cars plans on setting up shop here in the Port City.

The Ningbo Jiuding Machinery Corp. plans to build a manufacturing plant at one of the city's industrial parks.

Speaking through a translator, CEO Jason Yuan says things are still in the early stages as the cars still need to be approved over here.

The plan is to have the cars sold in all over the world, including here in Saint John, and Yuan says our port makes the shipping process very ideal.

No word yet on when the plant will be built.

Posted by CHSJ News at 2:13 PM

Chinese manufacturer of electric cars plans on setting up operations in the port city
Rick Mantle - News Staff Mar 23, 2012 15:56:44 PM

(Saint John)-Some good news for the city of Saint John today a Chinese manufacturer of electric cars plans on setting up operations in the port city in the near future.

The Mayor of Saint John Ivan Court says this could mean hundreds of jobs for the city once the company is up and running.

"Well it could end up being hundreds if they are telling us they have two plants back in China that employees 500 people in each plant that's a good indication it could in that range when they come here"

Court says after some testing of the cars they plan to start production at one of the cities industrial parks.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 6:05 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

LOL

Source

Seriously though, this would be excellent if it actually happens: I'm cautiously optimistic. The biggest hurdle will be regulatory approval for the vehicles in Canada, which I understand has historically been an issue.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 3:20 PM

Thumbs up

I'm all for it. Of course this is in the early stages however any development must start with ideas, planning, and dialogue. The more buzz this gets around the city, the better. We have an awesome port and a great workforce. I for one would love to see this happen. I'll be watching this with interest.
Get ready for Bricklin deja vu - a Chinese manufacturer of electric cars plans on setting up shop here in the Port City.

The Ningbo Jiuding Machinery Corp. plans to build a manufacturing plant at one of the city's industrial parks.

Speaking through a translator, CEO Jason Yuan says things are still in the early stages as the cars still need to be approved over here.

The plan is to have the cars sold in all over the world, including here in Saint John, and Yuan says our port makes the shipping process very ideal.

No word yet on when the plant will be built.

Posted by CHSJ News at 2:13 PM

Chinese manufacturer of electric cars plans on setting up operations in the port city
Rick Mantle - News Staff Mar 23, 2012 15:56:44 PM

(Saint John)-Some good news for the city of Saint John today a Chinese manufacturer of electric cars plans on setting up operations in the port city in the near future.

The Mayor of Saint John Ivan Court says this could mean hundreds of jobs for the city once the company is up and running.

"Well it could end up being hundreds if they are telling us they have two plants back in China that employees 500 people in each plant that's a good indication it could in that range when they come here"

Court says after some testing of the cars they plan to start production at one of the cities industrial parks.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 11:45 PM

Toll Road Across Maine

Has anyone heard anything about the revival of the plan to build a road across Maine? Apparently this was going forward prior to the economic downturn but I hear bits and pieces lately that the US Senate has just approved it? I understand that it would cut the time to Montreal to about 4 hours? This could be huge for Saint John - trucking goods from Central Canada to the port and vice versa - especially now with MSC docking here.

Also, with regards to the car plant - why has CBC not reported on this? It was a tiny blurb on a local radio station....for something that could be this big there seems to be very little interest??

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the revival of the plan to build a road across Maine? Apparently this was going forward prior to the economic downturn but I hear bits and pieces lately that the US Senate has just approved it? I understand that it would cut the time to Montreal to about 4 hours? This could be huge for Saint John - trucking goods from Central Canada to the port and vice versa - especially now with MSC docking here.

Also, with regards to the car plant - why has CBC not reported on this? It was a tiny blurb on a local radio station....for something that could be this big there seems to be very little interest??
Yes, heard it was a private toll highway, hopefully the tolls are reasonable, wouldn`t mind never driving that northern route again. It would be good for the province, all the trucks from PEI, Nova Scotia and Nfld driving through the province for free would be beating the snot out of fewer km`s of our highways. lol

Just wonder how long it would take for a new manufacturer to get their vehicles approved here. Sure would be great to get some less expensive electric vehicles here, let alone the jobs.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 7:22 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Maybe that speaks of how serious the major news outlets are taking this news. It doesn't compete with the normal coverage of "viral videos", the royal family, or anything coming out of Toronto apparently.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:15 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

It is a bit surprising that there hasn't been a mention of it by the CBC and others, but not that much. Believe it or not, this isn't the first time a company has proposed doing this in New Brunswick in the past few years. Getting through regulatory hurdles isn't as straightforward as it would seem and is extremely expensive. Building a factory and support industries is even more so. And you can only do that if the product you're making is actually worth selling and has a range and price that make it attractive to the North American market.

I guess to make a long story short, a lot of things need to happen before this should be really taken seriously. No sense making a huge deal out of it until it really looks like it might happen.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:54 AM

CBC was reporting on it this morning, I think their lack of attention to it on Friday and the weekend has as much to do with their lack of local workforce on the weekend as anything.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:38 PM

CBC coverage of electric car

I actually emailed CBC on this and they replied today saying that they wanted to get "more" on the story before they ran anything - could be but could also be the lack of weekend staff. I also emailed my Councillor Mel Norton on the weekend asking what was going on as Mayor Court was involved...to date NO REPLY

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:26 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Judging by their signage the Home Hardware on Rothesay Ave seems very excited about shutting down "forever"

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Judging by their signage the Home Hardware on Rothesay Ave seems very excited about shutting down "forever"
Actually, it's HOME FURNITURE, not hardware. However, they are part of the same company.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:54 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
Actually, it's HOME FURNITURE, not hardware. However, they are part of the same company.
Ahh sorry, I was too distracted by the signage to take it all in perhaps...the Home Furniture in Amherst recently closed as well. Perhaps they are closing all the "standalone" locations...as the ones I know of that are paired with a Home Hardware are still open.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces