HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 9:18 PM

Houston Metro

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5978281.html

I thought this article was interesting. I just wish everyone wasn't so me,me,me. Houston needs new transportation infrastructure asap.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 3:17 PM
Baryonic Lord

Yes, I agree but tell that to the people who live way out in katy, sugarland, woodlands.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 9:22 PM

After doing more research into METRO, I realized that they are one of the most irresponsible Mass Transit Agencies in the US. They don't even aim to reduce traffic in the areas that they serve. Some people are paying taxes for Metro, but cannot find a station for miles around. Houston voters are just as irresponsible (not those who are pro-transit) for letting it happen.

If the suburbs of Houston can agree to this, I hope it works out. But in the end, it gives suburbanites more of a reason to live in the suburbs.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 3:01 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
After doing more research into METRO, I realized that they are one of the most irresponsible Mass Transit Agencies in the US. They don't even aim to reduce traffic in the areas that they serve. Some people are paying taxes for Metro, but cannot find a station for miles around. Houston voters are just as irresponsible (not those who are pro-transit) for letting it happen.

If the suburbs of Houston can agree to this, I hope it works out. But in the end, it gives suburbanites more of a reason to live in the suburbs.
You can thank the good ol boys sitting on the metro board of directors.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 9:45 PM

Quote:

Examples?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 12:41 AM
Ya Dig!!

Interesting reading some of those comments on the website.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Examples?
Ask just about anyone who lives South of the Med Center within the City limits, or many East Houstonians.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Ask just about anyone who lives South of the Med Center within the City limits, or many East Houstonians.
Examples?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 7:02 PM

While I would love to recall every conversation that I have dealing with Metro, I will just recommend that you read the comments section of the article that kingkirby provided a link to. There you will find people with better firsthand experience with Metro than I do.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 12:44 AM

I used to live in East Houston (near Normandy and Woodforest area) and at the time it was the absolute eastern fringe of METRO's service area. Fortunately I did live right on the 137 route, but the area needs way more service than it's getting. Zipcode 77015 is the fifth largest zip in the Houston metropolitan area, and the vast majority of the population there is large swaths of apartment complexes. The 137 is the ONLY route that services this area of over 50,000 people (probably nearer to 60k as we approach the 2010 census), yet even it is completely mis-aligned, as most people in the area don't work downtown... they work in the ship channel and industrial areas. Up until the last few years, East Houston has survived on auto-transportation, but now with sky-high gas prices, there is an outcry for expanded bus service in the area. METRO is ignoring the needs of that tax base.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 12:53 AM
giggity giggity goo

One thing you have to remember though is that alot of the politicians here are still very anti transit. Tom Delay tried to hold up funding for the light rail. All metro is doing now is trying to catch up.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
One thing you have to remember though is that alot of the politicians here are still very anti transit. Tom Delay tried to hold up funding for the light rail. All metro is doing now is trying to catch up.
I know. It is somewhat upsetting that many with interest in oil companies run our City (the current Mayor is the only one without any real ties to the oil industry). I understand that Houston’s economy relies on the Oil and energy industries, but it is time for local politicians and residents to wake up to the reality of mass transit.

I look at cities like (my current home) Austin, which doesn’t even have rail in operation, but still outshines Houston in mass transit availability and ridership-per-capita. As a student here, I can go anywhere at almost any time for free without even touching a car. Over the weekend, I went on a trip with a few friends to Zilker Park, hiked a nature trail, boated on Town Lake, and went Downtown using Capital Metro’s 470 route. When I attended UofH, I had no choice but to be a slave to a car because Metro could not provide options for the community I commuted from.

I am hopeful for the new rail lines being developed that will serve the residents who need to use it, rather than the tourists. I imagine that once the University line is completed, UofH will become less of a car commuter campus, and more of a university with student neighborhoods adjacent.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral