HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 7:28 PM
Green Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
Mark my words. If this thing ever breaks ground, I will buy every one of you a beer. I don't see how this thing is going to pencil out.
I'm for that

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
I don't see how this thing is going to pencil out.
I'm with you.

I hope it does, but it's going to cost a fortune. Particularly in today's consruction environment.

There's a reason much of the things we'd like to build, remain on paper. People always assume most that architects can't design this stuff. That's hardly the case.

It's that no developer or client can get it financed or make a business success out of it.

I wish them the very best in bucking the odds. I'm pulling for them.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 10:18 PM
Well designed mixed use

My feelings exactly. The city could support a high-end hotel at that location, but that leaves 13 or so stories of luxury condos, which happen to not be selling so well right now.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 10:57 PM

By the time this project is constructed (few years) the condo market might be roarin' back....cycles..

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 12:15 AM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
By the time this project is constructed (few years) the condo market might be roarin' back....cycles..
You're absolutely correct, but in the world of commercial lending, there's no such thing as "might." From what I've heard recently, banks aren't going to lend money to a developer for a new condo project unless 50 percent of the units are pre-sold. I hope this happens...I love the idea of something bold at that location. It's across the street from Cacao...the best chocolate shop in the world. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Cacao...the best chocolate shop in the world
I absolutely agree, I love that place. Last time I was in there, Aubrey and Jesse seemed excited about the Skylab prospect. At least the construction will be accross the street, unlike ZGF, which has cut off their sidewalk access to the south.

With this possible new 50% pre-sold policy, would that impact a project like Backbridge Station, which appears to be so far along in the process but has yet to break ground? What about the Allegro, which has applied for excavation permits? Is someone like Rapaport, with a short but impeccable record on mid-size projects, likely to feel the sqeeze, too?

Seems like such a policy would make the Skylab tower a very difficult proposition, as no one seems to be buying luxury condos right now. Bad luck for PDX if so.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 3:28 AM
momentum

looks pretty exciting massing - at least in sketch form, but cost and details to make happen what they are showing seems a stretch - the contractor will scratch their belly and 10K for every in and out that sketch shows. shoot high though otherwise we would settle for mediocre ..!!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 2:51 AM

The nautical motif is no accident - according to papers on file with the city planner's office there's going to be a thirty-foot tall statue of the God Neptune pointing his Trident at Mt. St. Helens in place by spring 2008. Should be bitchin if they can get him looking properly pissed-off.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 2:59 PM

^might make me the most gullible forumer today but, are you for real? and if so, where would Neptune be placed?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 4:22 PM

Looks like they increased the height again...

Applicant: Matthew Uselman, SKYLAB DESIGN GROUP
Site address: 1308 W BURNSIDE ST
Proposed 27-story, 300’ tall mixed-use building. 4 levels of automated parking with a capacity of 81 cars.
The first floor will provide retail (with second floor mezzanine), a lobby for condo and office, and a lobby
for our automated parking system. Floors 3-8 will be open office floors. Floors 9-25 will be for residential
condominiums, structural, mechanical and outdoor recreation area on the roof.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 2:15 AM

Nice

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 8:24 AM

did you guys catch the bit in the proposal for "underground mechanical parking"? how very japanese of them....that sounds kind of cool. not sure how efficient an automated parking system would be though....

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 8:37 AM

300'! nice. Is this actually moving forward or is this the very early stages?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 12:08 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
did you guys catch the bit in the proposal for "underground mechanical parking"? how very japanese of them....that sounds kind of cool. not sure how efficient an automated parking system would be though....
Things like that tend to be built very half assed like in this country and usually break alot. Lets hope this isnt the case for this garage....or maybe they will ship in european and japanese engineers in for the mechanical works for this cause they at least seem like they got their s*** together.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:31 PM

Anybody know what's up with this? It's off the Design Commission agendas.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
Anybody know what's up with this? It's off the Design Commission agendas.
They have been bumped a couple of weeks in a row, but they are scheduled for tomorrow at 1:30.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 3:13 AM

I'm frustrated because I can't see the photo or a link to a photo.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 3:52 AM

I don't think it has been posted as of yet...I don't know if he figured out how to do it or not...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 7:40 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

http://imageshack.us/

then post a link in your post on here.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 3:12 PM

Skylab tower a ‘breakthrough’ for the city
A 27-story high-rise planned to neighbor the Crystal Ballroom pushes the limits of both design and development
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Monday, September 24, 2007
BY ALISON RYAN

The 27-story tower proposed at Southwest 13th Avenue and East Burnside is by far the largest project that Skylab Design Group – known for design of the Doug Fir, East, and the mixed-use building on Southwest Alder Street that holds the firm’s studio and principal Jeff Kovel’s residence – has ever taken on.

At ground level, a glassy retail space faces Burnside, with entry for the proposed offices and condos happening in a wood-screened “lounge” on Southwest 13th. Living and working entry would share the façade on 13th with the automated parking system entry, conceived as a finished, highly designed space. Above, offices would take up floors three through eight, with condos and a rooftop recreation spot topping out the tower. Total proposed height is 300 feet.

Big for Skylab. Big for Burnside. Big for a 5,000-square foot site. And big for Portland at large, with the potential to roll out a handful of design and development precedents for the city.

First, there’s the building itself. Designs Kovel showed the Portland Design Commission during an advice session Thursday took cues from the urban natural.

“Do I want to live in an urban building, or do I want to live in a house?” said Kovel, who’s also co-developing the project. “One of our goals is to break it down and not make that an either/or.”

That either/or stepped away – far away – from glass box form. Bark patterns, Kovel said, inspired intricate forms within the larger overall composition, with a series of pushed out window bays and punched in balconies forming the faceted glass façade.

“What you’re essentially getting is a skin being created with equally elements protruding and elements sunk in,” he said.

Second, there’s the automated parking system. Installation of such a system – which uses a mechanical lift to store and retrieve cars in underground slots – would be a first in Portland.

Plans call for drivers to enter an auto court on Southwest 13th, pull onto the lift, and exit the car, which would then drop down and be tucked away for storage.

The Portland Department of Transportation, said PDOT engineer Kurt Krueger, is working on how – and how well – the system would work, especially as residents wait to pull onto the two lifts.

“We don’t want that sidewalk blocked on a repetitive daily basis as we reach peak hours,” he said.

Third, the location. The site, against East Burnside to the north, sits at the terminus of Southwest Stark Street – a corridor that’s seen fervent development and design within the last year. Zimmer Gunsul Frasca’s building will pop onto the street between Jake’s and American Apparel. Gerding Edlen acquired the former Club PDX building at Burnside and Southwest 12th.

The renovated Ace Hotel opened. Living Room Theatres opened. Improvements are ahead for the Pietro Belluschi-designed Federal Reserve building at Southwest Ninth and Stark. Talks with the McMenamins to get the air rights from the Crystal Ballroom also mark the way to a potential phase two: a restaurant on the roof of the Crystal “that would marry to our architecture, not to the historic,” Kovel said.

Finally, the tower has a tiny footprint. The proposed building rises 300 feet – up to 325 feet is allowed on the site – from a 50-by-100-foot lot. Despite developers putting “point tower” labels on the Benson and other projects in town, commissioners said, the tall, slim form hasn’t really been used in the city.

“It’s a breakthrough,” Commissioner Lloyd Lindley said.

A breakthrough, but one that still has far to go with all its potential precedents. Skylab’s working with a larger, experience-heavy team that includes Myhre Group Architects, KPFF, Glumac, Kittleson & Associates and marketing firm Vertical Living Group.

How the design, automated parking and other strides might play out is still ahead, too.

“We have a lot of work to do to understand how we might achieve this financially and technically,” Kovel said.

Commissioners said the project is exciting, and fascinating, in what it proposes. The five members who offered advice last week said they support the early effort.

“This is a radical step forward, and one that will pay dividends in the long run,” Commissioner Jeff Stuhr said.
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...to-neighbor-th

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland