HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 1:39 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/f...-dom18.article

Quote:
Lake View Dominick's on return after 2005 fire

September 18, 2008
BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter ldonovan@suntimes.com

Some of the employees who staffed the old Dominick's grocery in Lake View will be on hand today for an 8 a.m. ground-breaking ceremony at the site, the first tangible evidence a food store will rise again there.

A June 2005 fire gutted the old store at 3012 N. Broadway, leaving a void for loyal residents and staff -- even with two other groceries within a half mile, officials said.

"We have a lot of seniors. We have a lot of people who don't have cars. We have great public transportation, but it's high density, so the loss of a grocery store is a huge thing," said Bennett Lawson, chief of staff for Ald. Tom Tunney (44th).

Once completed, the store will be more than twice the size of the old store, roughly 42,000 square feet. The store and a bank will occupy the first floor of a five-level building with a parking garage above it and three levels of condos stacked on top.

Dominick's officials boast the new store will be a Dominick's Lifestyle store, carrying cereal-bread-and-milk staples plus a Starbucks, pharmacy and grab-and-go meals. And there will be some familiar faces.

"Some of them [the employees] will be coming back," said Dominick's president Don Keprta. "They kind of get first crack."
We've seen an older render before, but I'm not sure that anyone ever posted the updated version? It's, uh, really large...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:02 AM
Urbane observer

Nice touch with the reflections of the buildings across the street. But judging from all the people out on the balconies, there must be a threesome boinking on the roof across the street.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 5:48 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
On a side note there is a possible redo of the plaza in front of NBC Tower
I agree with cbotnyse and honte, leave it as is. Here's a picture I took of The Fairbanks at City Front Plaza last week. The plaza is in front.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 12:09 PM

Regarding the Dominick's above...more info on Broadway 3030, which had it's open house kick-off party last night.

http://www.broadway3030.com/

JFJ Development and Hartshorne-Plunkard. Same team doing Superior 110.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 2:28 PM
tilted & shifted

Green roofs are taking root in American cities
Other cities push to take Chicago's crown

By Lisa Anderson | Chicago Tribune correspondent
September 19, 2008

Photos of Parkview West (now known as ParkView Condominiums) by Zbigniew Bzdak/Chicago Tribune:

NEW YORK — When asphalt-weary American city dwellers yearn for a bit of greenery these days, more and more of them head for the roof.

The concept of planted green roofs, which gained early popularity in Chicago, is beginning to take root in New York and other cities.

Construction of green roofs grew 30 percent in North America last year, according to the third annual Green Roof Market Industry Survey by the Toronto-based non-profit group Green Roofs for Healthy Cities. For the third time, Chicago topped the list of U.S. and Canadian cities in terms of square footage installed in one year. Although it polls only members of its group, the Green Roofs survey estimates it reflects about 60 percent of all green roof industry activity in the U.S. and Canada.

Due to cost, green roofs appear primarily on public and commercial buildings, such as the new Bank of America tower in Manhattan or the Apple Store on Chicago's Michigan Avenue. But they also are beginning to sprout on single family homes and other private dwellings.

Among Chicago's other high-profile buildings with green roofs are City Hall, Millennium Park, the Chicago Center for Green Technology, and the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...9,0,8529.story

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 3:17 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

From Today's Trib:

Trader Vic's readies its Chicago return
Posted by Phil Vettel at 9:53 a.m. CDT

.....Last week, workers installed (photo left) a massive tiki statue—a Trader Vic’s signature and a remnant from the Loop location—in the outdoor garden in front of 1030 N. State St., where Trader Vic's will reopen.....

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/thestew/2008/09/trader-vics-rea.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 3:23 PM
Registered

^ Parkview is just such a solid development, all around. My hat's off to MCL and, yes, SCB on this one. Once the park matures and the surrounding sites are developed, it's going to be a fabulous urban space.

Added bonus: The parking garage to the north, visible in the photo and attached to the back of that rental building (it is rental, isn't it?), now looks like a prime redevelopment candidate. It used to make a tiny bit of sense in that location, but no longer.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
The photo is beautiful, but, god, I really hate this building. There's such a disconnect between that awful podium and the actual tower.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
From Today's Trib:

Trader Vic's readies its Chicago return
Posted by Phil Vettel at 9:53 a.m. CDT

.....Last week, workers installed (photo left) a massive tiki statue—a Trader Vic’s signature and a remnant from the Loop location—in the outdoor garden in front of 1030 N. State St., where Trader Vic's will reopen.....

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/thestew/2008/09/trader-vics-rea.html
This makes me quite pleased. I can't wait to have a Mai Tai and the Pu pu platter!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Added bonus: The parking garage to the north, visible in the photo and attached to the back of that rental building (it is rental, isn't it?), now looks like a prime redevelopment candidate. It used to make a tiny bit of sense in that location, but no longer.
I don't know about that, that's not just a garage, there are quite a bit of the amenities for that apartment building in and on that garage, most obviously the pool on the roof. Better hope that building doesn't go condo before the garage is torn down or it will be there forever.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 9:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I don't know about that, that's not just a garage, there are quite a bit of the amenities for that apartment building in and on that garage, most obviously the pool on the roof. Better hope that building doesn't go condo before the garage is torn down or it will be there forever.
Yes, I know. But if the building stays rental (honeslty, I only think it is a rental), they certainly can replace those amenities and lost parking in a new structure. In fact, they'd be stupid not to, given what a waste of real estate that it is.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 11:30 PM

^ It's a rental, on the low end for the Streeterville area, so anything's possible. (Also curious if any complications arise since there are Section 8 tenants.) They could tell their amenity-enjoying renters to shut up and put up while something is being redeveloped, although they'd probably realistically have to give 12 months' prior notice or let people break leases for the substantial loss of amenities (particularly parking).

However, the bigger question is what the Rehabilitiation Institute will do with the rest of the block. If they move first and some developer proposes a tall tower there, Lake Shore Plaza's options get hemmed in. Although I suppose squeezing in 2 towers on that half-block is not inconceivable.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 11:47 PM
THAT Guy

I think Nowhereman mentioned a small Loyola project on Chicago Avenue. Is this it?

Last edited by spyguy; Sep 20, 2008 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 11:53 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Mondial 9/19

Looks like the friggin' Potola Palace in Lhasa:

Neighborhood:

Last edited by wrab; Sep 20, 2008 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 1:28 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

New Joffrey Ballet Marquee at MoMo 9/17

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 5:58 AM

So a friend of mine came down from Milwaukee, and she just HAD to go to the Juicy Couture boutique (the epitome of class, BTW), and we walked past the site of the new Barneys. I took a quick peek behind some fencing and I could have sworn that that nice little three-story brick row was completely K.O.ed. I had thought previously that these were being gut-rehabbed. I am not completely sure because I grabbed only a fleeting glance, but can anyone else confirm the demo?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 6:02 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
I agree with cbotnyse and honte, leave it as is. Here's a picture I took of The Fairbanks at City Front Plaza last week. The plaza is in front.

Sick shot. Perfectly exposed. Perfectly composed. SW is automatic when it comes to vertical shots.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 4:08 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
So a friend of mine came down from Milwaukee, and she just HAD to go to the Juicy Couture boutique (the epitome of class, BTW), and we walked past the site of the new Barneys. I took a quick peek behind some fencing and I could have sworn that that nice little three-story brick row was completely K.O.ed. I had thought previously that these were being gut-rehabbed. I am not completely sure because I grabbed only a fleeting glance, but can anyone else confirm the demo?
Yeah, I went by there yesterday and it was almost completely gone. I wish I had a camera on me to capture the demolition work but then again there wasn't much left to see anyway.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 4:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
(honeslty, I only think it is a rental)
Yes it is a rental. I had a friend who lived in there last year and man did that place suck. Its literally packed with Section 8 tenants who are all extremely noisy and treat the place like its some Cabrini Green highrise. Needless to say she quickly learned why she got a good deal on the rent and moved out as soon as her lease expired! It was really annoying you could always hear someone yelling about something or cranking rap music or even, at times, hear them break something through the walls. Plus they would just leave rubbish in the halls, I've never seen any apartment building where people just drop candy wrappers in the hall, but they did it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I think Nowhereman mentioned a small Loyola project on Chicago Avenue. Is this it?
Yessiree that'd be the project. Looks better than the vague massing I saw 9 months ago. It should really help spruce up that somewhat ghetto section of Chicago Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I am not completely sure because I grabbed only a fleeting glance, but can anyone else confirm the demo?
Yes they started taking it down about two weeks ago. I believe I saw it the first day they started. Apparently whoever was renovating it went bankrupt and someone else bought it and changed plans to tear down from gut rehab.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 2:04 AM

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Last edited by aic4ever; Sep 3, 2009 at 12:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development