HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 12:58 PM
I am a typical

He's insane.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 7:00 PM
Back from the dead

Whoa. So much about certain posts makes a lot more sense all of a sudden.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:33 PM

this is kinda random but there was a good documentry about lrt (past and present) on national geographic last night. i wish i could remember the numbers, but they were talking about how lrt had spurred development in toronto over the last few decades. if anyone watched it and remembers it better, please post some info. i hope katz was watching!

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 7:31 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

America’s Streetcar Renaissance
http://www.infrastructurist.com/2009...r-renaissance/

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 6:44 AM
A long time gone

streetcars would be perfect for Winnipeg to replace the actual bus lines. Trolleys might do it too though.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 12:50 PM

horse and buggy would be cool too

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:24 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
horse and buggy would be cool too

That's kinda how I view the idea of trolleys and streetcars too. They might work in Winnipeg but how is it a step forward exactly ?

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:38 PM

Rails induce redevelopment, even if they don't improve actual service levels in speed or frequency.

That being said, with the way Winnipeg seems to act towards development and infill, would council want that?

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 4:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

That's kinda how I view the idea of trolleys and streetcars too. They might work in Winnipeg but how is it a step forward exactly ?
I think a better question to pose is whether the replacement of the streetcar system with buses in downtown Winnipeg could be considered a step forward, armed with 50+ years of hindsight?

It seemed like a good idea in terms of 1950's urban thinking, but what positives have occurred in the downtown area since the demise of the streetcar?

It may be a case of Winnipeg stepping back so that it CAN start moving forward...so to speak.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 5:34 PM
A long time gone

Streetcars are used in Portland with great success, so i wouldn't compare them to horse and buggy
They would serve perfectly downtown and the central neighborhoods, reducing pollution and making for a far more beautiful cityscape. Streetcars in Toronto are great for example.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 6:11 PM
I am a typical

Street cars in Toronto bunch up and never arrive on time and are usually supplemented by buses because they don't have enough streetcars to meet demand.

Streetcars going through the exchange district would be very pretty though.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 10:34 PM

I've always had great luck with the street cars in Toronto. They run regularly and on time and you can cram a lot of people in them. The high floor is kind of an issue and it slows loading/offloading but newer models have low floor access. Also they are used quite often and by a large number of people, I see this as a positive not a negative. Whenever I go to Toronto I always take the 96 rocket bus to the subway and then the subway to the street car. I like to mix things up a little.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 8:37 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I think a better question to pose is whether the replacement of the streetcar system with buses in downtown Winnipeg could be considered a step forward, armed with 50+ years of hindsight?

It seemed like a good idea in terms of 1950's urban thinking, but what positives have occurred in the downtown area since the demise of the streetcar?

It may be a case of Winnipeg stepping back so that it CAN start moving forward...so to speak.
I see your point but a lot has changed in six decades . In the 50's most cities were far more centralized. Since then cities have sprawled and taken the retail out to the fringes. That being the case , I can't imagine that adding streetcars will really change anything vis-a-vis buses.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 9:12 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattait View Post
I've always had great luck with the street cars in Toronto. They run regularly and on time and you can cram a lot of people in them. The high floor is kind of an issue and it slows loading/offloading but newer models have low floor access. Also they are used quite often and by a large number of people, I see this as a positive not a negative. Whenever I go to Toronto I always take the 96 rocket bus to the subway and then the subway to the street car. I like to mix things up a little.
I did that once, and I swear I'll never do it again. 90+ minutes ride. And while there was a GO Train station there, it was either not running or not good enough signage to lead people to the platform.

TTC is supposed to have the Blue22 charter train between Pearson and Union Station. but the Nimbys don't want it.

Until the '22 is created it's much faster to take a cab to and from the airport.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 9:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I see your point but a lot has changed in six decades . In the 50's most cities were far more centralized. Since then cities have sprawled and taken the retail out to the fringes. That being the case , I can't imagine that adding streetcars will really change anything vis-a-vis buses.
^ well it would go a long way in changing the perception of transit from the current "loser cruiser" (bus) to more of a accepted form of transportation.

There is a huge demographic out there that flat out refuses to ride the bus, but would probably consider transit if something like modern streetcars or LRT was an option.

Come to think of it, most people I know flat out refuse to ride a bus. There are only a few people I know who are regular or even casual users of transit in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
I did that once, and I swear I'll never do it again. 90+ minutes ride. And while there was a GO Train station there, it was either not running or not good enough signage to lead people to the platform.

TTC is supposed to have the Blue22 charter train between Pearson and Union Station. but the Nimbys don't want it.

Until the '22 is created it's much faster to take a cab to and from the airport.
90+ minute ride,, you sure you took the same route I did, because to me it was all timed perfectly and it all moved really quickly, the rocket bus ususally had very little traffic on its route and then it was right to the subway with came almost instantly, and then from Subway to Street car you are again in an enclosed station and it came timed to perfection just after the subway. So total wait time for transfers was maybe 4 min and there was minimal traffic on either the bus or street car as both had dedicated ROW for some sections of their routes.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 1:33 PM
What could go wrong?

I drive to work all the time but last week the car was in the shop so i took the bus. My normal time to work by car 20-25 min. The bus stop is really close to my house and it is an express - 1 transfer on Portage (i waited less than five minutes) and door to door it took 58 min. That is more than double the time and i have free parking at work. The bus offers me absolutely no incentive.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:17 PM

^^^ ditto with me

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:25 PM
Armchair urbanist

Winnipeg Transit doesn't "crosstown" very well. I can drive, drop my wife off downtown, and commute to work near the U of M in 25-30 mins. Meanwhile, when I take the 36 'super express', door to door travel is minimum of 40 mins.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:27 PM
the first stamp is free

For me, I don't drive regularly to work, only if I am going on site or to an inspection.

If my wife drops me off, travel time is about 10 minutes. If I catch the bus (one bus, we live just off Portage) it takes 20 minutes, mostly walking.

When it is not stupidly cold or raining, I usually walk, and it takes 35 minutes door to door, or about an hour on the Assiniboine river trail in the winter.

Obviously transit doesn't work for everyone. But in the west end and Wolseley (where transit does make sense) there is a growing population of "professionals" who could easily become regular transit users if only the perceptions would change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan