HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:12 PM

Connecting through YWG

Hello fellow SSP'ers ,

I am flying YYC -> YWG -> ORD in July with AC Express and United Express. I am really looking forward to checking out the new terminal at YWG.

I have a question about making the connection in YWG. I have 1hr 45 and am wondering if this is enough time to connect to a U.S. flight...I am assuming we'll have to pick up our bags and proceed to US Customs... with the new Terminal is this a long walk and how busy is US customs around 12:30 in the afternoon?

Flight info below.

Also, what's a good spot to grab lunch at YWG...preferably with a view?

Thanks for the info.

Travelling to Chicago
flight Wed 11 Jul 2012
Calgary (YYC)
Depart 7:55 am to Winnipeg (YWG)
Arrive 10:45 am
Duration: 1hr 50mn
Air Canada
Flight: 8332
Operated by: AIR CANADA EXPRESS - JAZZ

Winnipeg (YWG)
Depart 12:26 pm to Chicago (ORD)
Arrive 2:33 pm
Duration: 2hr 7mn
Air Canada
Flight: 3570
Operated by: UNITED EXPRESS/EXPRESSJET AIRLINES

Last edited by yyc_engineer; Jun 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:36 PM

In all probability it will be very easy and you'll have lots of time to spare. Because of the relatively small number of transborder flights from YWG, the US preclearance is never very busy.

The only food options on the transborder side are TGI Fridays, a mini-Tim Hortons and whatever is available from the duty free. Unless your flight from Calgary arrives late, you'd do better to eat on the domestic side or go to Stella's by the main entrance.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:37 AM

In terms of a view the departure lounge is primarily all glass. At the east end there isa view of downtown. Enjoy your pit stop.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:52 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
In terms of a view the departure lounge is primarily all glass. At the east end there isa view of downtown. Enjoy your pit stop.
Got a camera? The East End of the concrete portion of Level 2 (outside) has a really good view of Winnipegs skyline, if you want a picture

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 1:36 AM
A long time gone

went to the airport to see a friend who had a layover. Small but wow so pretty! and beautiful view of downtown...

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
went to the airport to see a friend who had a layover. Small but wow so pretty! and beautiful view of downtown...
Small? You do understand that 75% of the airport is not accesable to the general public, your friend would have seen much more then you could have.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Small? You do understand that 75% of the airport is not accesable to the general public, your friend would have seen much more then you could have.
Relative to the majority of other international airports, it is pretty small man

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 2:22 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Relative to the majority of other international airports, it is pretty small man
Pack in another 300,000 people in this city, and the airport will get bigger.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 2:50 PM

Flew to Calgary out of YWG yesterday and got there a little early to check it out some more than previous visits. They have done a great job with this terminal and the one thing that comes across the most is how calm it is. What I mean is with all of the glass and openess it takes some of the hurried pace away and I found myself quite relaxed doing some reading before my flight. So much so when the delay was announced I didn't really care.

The traveller experience is so much better now and I still get a kick out of the comments from disembarking passengers on how beautiful the airport is now.

Funny true story my mother (from Vancouver) was coming through on business and was busy texting as she came up the jetway, once in the terminal she looked up and had a moment of panic as she thought she was in the wrong city. A couple of Jets flags in the souvenir shop in front of her quickly set her straight.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I was flying once from LAX to YQR through YYC. The lady at the checkin in L.A. said, "oh, you have a layover in Calgary, but at least that's a nice little airport." She noticed my surprise and tried to cover it by saying "at least compared to Toronto". Everything is relative and yes, even Calgary's airport (with around 11 million passengers) is small compared to most major international airports. In fact, even Pearson doesn't rank as one of the 30 busiest airports in the world anymore.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 8:29 PM
the first stamp is free

^ honestly, other than bragging rights, I am not sure why anyone would prefer flying in and out of a larger airport.

Anyone who thinks that Winnipeg needs a bigger airport has never flown out of Minneapolis. Christ that place is never ending...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ honestly, other than bragging rights, I am not sure why anyone would prefer flying in and out of a larger airport.

Anyone who thinks that Winnipeg needs a bigger airport has never flown out of Minneapolis. Christ that place is never ending...
Hear Here.

I think Winnipeg has the *perfect* sized airport for the size of the city, perfect amount of amenities, etc. A few more direct flights to some international destinations would be nice, but one thing at a time I guess. I'm flying to Denver in a couple days, and am not quite as thrilled about my visit to their mile-long terminal that houses United... oh well, at least its a direct flight.

Checking in here is a breeze... checking in there... well...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Pack in another 300,000 people in this city, and the airport will get bigger.
Oh, pack another 1,000,000 people in this city and it'll get bigger

The airport is at least designed with future expandability in mind, something that is very good for future expansions/plans. There is indication the WAA might start public discussion "Phase II" of potential plans or a direction of the future of the airport as early as 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Flew to Calgary out of YWG yesterday and got there a little early to check it out some more than previous visits. They have done a great job with this terminal and the one thing that comes across the most is how calm it is. What I mean is with all of the glass and openess it takes some of the hurried pace away and I found myself quite relaxed doing some reading before my flight. So much so when the delay was announced I didn't really care.

The traveller experience is so much better now and I still get a kick out of the comments from disembarking passengers on how beautiful the airport is now.

Funny true story my mother (from Vancouver) was coming through on business and was busy texting as she came up the jetway, once in the terminal she looked up and had a moment of panic as she thought she was in the wrong city. A couple of Jets flags in the souvenir shop in front of her quickly set her straight.
Haha yeah many similar stories all around from many of my family & friends who've been through since its opened last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
I was flying once from LAX to YQR through YYC. The lady at the checkin in L.A. said, "oh, you have a layover in Calgary, but at least that's a nice little airport." She noticed my surprise and tried to cover it by saying "at least compared to Toronto". Everything is relative and yes, even Calgary's airport (with around 11 million passengers) is small compared to most major international airports. In fact, even Pearson doesn't rank as one of the 30 busiest airports in the world anymore.
Exactly. Its not like a small airport is bad - far from it. Winnipeg's airport is excellent, no fuss, no headache. I travel to large airports regularly, and some can be pain free (in Europe) but in the USA they are so headache inducing its not even funny. I won't get into it, because it would spur an essay's worth of rants.

For Canada, its a nice size, but on the global airport scale, it is quite small.

Quote:

&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Hear Here.

I think Winnipeg has the *perfect* sized airport for the size of the city, perfect amount of amenities, etc. A few more direct flights to some international destinations would be nice, but one thing at a time I guess. I'm flying to Denver in a couple days, and am not quite as thrilled about my visit to their mile-long terminal that houses United... oh well, at least its a direct flight.

Checking in here is a breeze... checking in there... well...

Exactly, smaller does not equal worse. Friendly people, great atmosphere, no rush, no headache....for people who actually fly a lot, it is much more preferable. Canadian airports are relatively small when compared to American and other international airports. Wait till China and India get their airport systems going...those will create an "extra large" airport category.

It would be nice to have a dedicated overseas flight somewhere such as London, Manchester or another British city (that is just me being nitpicky out of personal preference) even if it was only once a week, and some more direct american services, but that will all come in due time.

People need to remember a lot of that depends on airline companies more so than the airport themselves.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 8:48 PM
What could go wrong?

I have always liked that aspect of living in Winnipeg and flying out of and arriving home in a smaller airport. I like for the short trips where you only need carry-on, how within 15 min of landing (domestic) you can be in your car on the way home. I like "Visiting" other large hub airports but would hate the hassle of having to use them as a home gateway airport.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:46 PM

Quote:

It's a penis wagging thing. Once I was in MSP and I asked a security guy where I could find a quiet sit-down restaurant because I had like 4 hours layover. He directed me towards something, then when I started to walk, he said, no take the train. So I did, not realizing that the 'train' took nearly twice as long as walking. I think he just wanted me to realize Minneapolis had a train link.

Giant airports that are crappy:

O'Hare (mega-crappy)
LAX
Atlanta
Frankfurt
Toronto

Smaller airports that are at very least, pleasant:

Ottawa
Winnipeg
Barcelona
Calgary

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 2:06 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

I think the Winnipeg airport is a perfect size and everything was sized appropriately.

The pre-security departures side is big enough to handle the lines and get everyone their boarding pass, but not so big as to let people linger around with their 34 relatives. The bright windows and generally open space is quite pleasant and relaxing.

The security lines are ample and I appreciate that there is a separate line for families and handicapped people. This makes travelling with small kids great.

The terminal side has tons of good restaurants and not just your boring Subway and Taco Time chains. There is tons of seating and open space and the floor to ceiling glass is great here as well.

The arrivals area has much more space than the old airport and the larger carousels help thin out the people who annoyingly stand right beside it the ENTIRE FREAKING TIME even though their bag is no where in sight.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I think the Winnipeg airport is a perfect size and everything was sized appropriately.

The pre-security departures side is big enough to handle the lines and get everyone their boarding pass, but not so big as to let people linger around with their 34 relatives. The bright windows and generally open space is quite pleasant and relaxing.

The security lines are ample and I appreciate that there is a separate line for families and handicapped people. This makes travelling with small kids great.

The terminal side has tons of good restaurants and not just your boring Subway and Taco Time chains. There is tons of seating and open space and the floor to ceiling glass is great here as well.

The arrivals area has much more space than the old airport and the larger carousels help thin out the people who annoyingly stand right beside it the ENTIRE FREAKING TIME even though their bag is no where in sight.
Like.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:04 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
It's a penis wagging thing. Once I was in MSP and I asked a security guy where I could find a quiet sit-down restaurant because I had like 4 hours layover. He directed me towards something, then when I started to walk, he said, no take the train. So I did, not realizing that the 'train' took nearly twice as long as walking. I think he just wanted me to realize Minneapolis had a train link.

Giant airports that are crappy:

O'Hare (mega-crappy)
LAX
Atlanta
Frankfurt
Toronto

Smaller airports that are at very least, pleasant:

Ottawa
Winnipeg
Barcelona
Calgary
Frankfurt and especially Toronto are beautiful IMO. Toronto is just so open and light filled, i love it. Winnipeg's is like a mini-Toronto.

And no size does not matter at all of course, mine was just an objective statement. Winnipeg is 700k big and has a great airport. In comparison, in Tuscany we have two airports for the whole region of 4 million people, Florence's is very small and dilapidated, Pisa's is slightly bigger but nothing compared to Winnipeg's.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Frankfurt and especially Toronto are beautiful IMO. Toronto is just so open and light filled, i love it. Winnipeg's is like a mini-Toronto.

And no size does not matter at all of course, mine was just an objective statement. Winnipeg is 700k big and has a great airport. In comparison, in Tuscany we have two airports for the whole region of 4 million people, Florence's is very small and dilapidated, Pisa's is slightly bigger but nothing compared to Winnipeg's.
re: Toronto-I'm sure you mean T1, as T3 needs an update pretty badly (past security anyway).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:

I find Toronto's to be so completely bland and devoid of all life. Plus, it might just be the most poorly designed and operated airport of fewer than 35 million passengers in the world. The terminals are so far apart, there is no cohesion and I swear, every flight is delayed.

Just my thoughts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan