HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:16 AM

I wonder how many companies inplemented their "disaster plans" for this problem?

One large insurnace company had managment come back and buy bottled water from all the small downtown c-stores and drugstores Tuesday evening after the news release, so their Winnipeg staff could have a bottle of water available if they want, when they come in Wednesday morning.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:36 PM

Obviously if there really was a contamination issue, it's a big deal.

But it was rather comical watching the news. People buying out all the bottled water at virtually every store. Really for no reason. Social media, etc, people are freaking out. Thinking they will die (literally) because they've drank the water.

I'm not sure if anyone knows. But when were the samples taken and how long does it take for results? IIRC it's a few days or so. They have to let the samples culture to see if anything's growing. So since the weekend everyone's been drinking the water, and everyone appears to be surviving.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:35 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
But it was rather comical watching the news. People buying out all the bottled water at virtually every store. Really for no reason. Social media, etc, people are freaking out.
This is because there are people that are unaware how to boil water.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:51 PM

In the paper today: how to boil water. Lol seriously that was in the paper. My goodness. Maybe they just need to say how long to boil it. I've heard from 1-5 mins. But they actually said heat the water until bubbles come up lol

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:59 PM

If you have an electric stove, you're better off buying bottled water. At Costco it's like $4 for 30 litres...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:49 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

That doesn't include driving to Costco. It costs about 6 cents to boil 10 litres of water.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That doesn't include driving to Costco. It costs about 6 cents to boil 10 litres of water.
Sure, but who has the time!?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:11 PM

Mayor Bowman had a 3pm news release and said that it looks like Winnipeg's water is ok, but he is waiting for the Provence to officially rescind the boil water notice at a 4pm news conference.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:38 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Likely sampling error (all failed samples taken by the same person). Hopefully they can encourage the samplers to do a better job of washing their hands in the future!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:41 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I spoke to some biology types today, apparently e-coli can not exist in the presence of chlorine.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:50 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I spoke to some biology types today, apparently e-coli can not exist in the presence of chlorine.
Exactly.

Our water is charcoal filtered, treated with UV (and possibly ozone, not sure) and has chlorine added. Before the treatment centre was opening, IIRC water was just treated with chlorine.

Basically if the samples are to fail, it would mean a massive breach in the treatment centre, or somehow E Coli finding it's way into pressurized water lines.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:20 PM

4:20pm Looks like a 2nd day of not being able to use water. MB health wants to have a 2nd clean test before they remove the advisory.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Exactly.

Our water is charcoal filtered, treated with UV (and possibly ozone, not sure) and has chlorine added. Before the treatment centre was opening, IIRC water was just treated with chlorine.

Basically if the samples are to fail, it would mean a massive breach in the treatment centre, or somehow E Coli finding it's way into pressurized water lines.

The city has a short (7 min) video from 2013 on how they treat the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20VvpASC2sU

if you don't have time for the video they have a text page here:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/waterandwaste...ment/plant.stm

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:26 PM

Yeah the Province has to complete their testing. Which sounds like will be done tomorrow. But really, do you have to wait? I've been going on like normal all day.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:29 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The city has a short (7 min) video from 2013 on how they treat the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20VvpASC2sU

if you don't have time for the video they have a text page here:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/waterandwaste...ment/plant.stm
Thanks.

So if anyone is still afraid to use the water, just look at that.

Anyone could reasonably deduce the E. Coli is not getting into that system.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:41 PM

Only way I could see cross contamination is if the city and contractor sewer suck trucks had some sort of backwater valve / air gap failure when they are filling up their flush tanks from the hydrants.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 3:05 PM

So I come back from a vacation and I see that the Free Press is now in full assault mode on Bowman, basically acting as an arm of the TNSE PR department. (No small coincidence that Chipman's various businesses are probably their biggest advertiser, and biggest source of content next to City Hall itself.)

It's like I stepped into a time machine and returned to Winnipeg circa 1995, just with the name "Chipman" in the place of "Shenkarow". I half expect to see editorials penned by Scott Taylor disparaging the mayor for failing to grease the Jets owners enough. Just look at some of these headlines:

Bowman's Moral Crusade Takes a Hit

Bowman's Game of Mutually Assured Destruction

Suddenly it's a cardinal sin to stand in the way of Chipman's development by asking a few tough questions? Give me a break.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So I come back from a vacation and I see that the Free Press is now in full assault mode on Bowman, basically acting as an arm of the TNSE PR department. (No small coincidence that Chipman's various businesses are probably their biggest advertiser, and biggest source of content next to City Hall itself.)

It's like I stepped into a time machine and returned to Winnipeg circa 1995, just with the name "Chipman" in the place of "Shenkarow". I half expect to see editorials penned by Scott Taylor disparaging the mayor for failing to grease the Jets owners enough. Just look at some of these headlines:

Bowman's Moral Crusade Takes a Hit

Bowman's Game of Mutually Assured Destruction

Suddenly it's a cardinal sin to stand in the way of Chipman's development by asking a few tough questions? Give me a break.
LOL this is not the case at all.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 3:13 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I think in the end, Bowman is going to look a lot better than Chipman on this whole fiasco.

Chipman came out swinging hard for a knock-out punch. He better hope he dazed Bowman enough - but if anything, it should cause the media in this city to start digging even further on all of Chipman's past and current dealings with Centre Venture.

I mean the crux of his argument was that Bowman has seen this video, oh and by the way, let's all watch it - just so you all know what shiny toy you aren't going to get.

Great video. But how exactly is anyone going to understand all of the complicated and intertwined back-room dealings that resulted in this video (or "development") being made in the first place? So Bowman is supposed to be "in the know" just because he saw a video? Please.

I wish someone would start asking the difficult questions to Chipman one of these days. The video, and whether or not Bowman viewed it is meaningless.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I think in the end, Bowman is going to look a lot better than Chipman on this whole fiasco.

Chipman came out swinging hard for a knock-out punch. He better hope he dazed Bowman enough - but if anything, it should cause the media in this city to start digging even further on all of Chipman's past and current dealings with Centre Venture.

I mean the crux of his argument was that Bowman has seen this video, oh and by the way, let's all watch it - just so you all know what shiny toy you aren't going to get.

Great video. But how exactly is anyone going to understand all of the complicated and intertwined back-room dealings that resulted in this video (or "development") being made in the first place? So Bowman is supposed to be "in the know" just because he saw a video? Please.

I wish someone would start asking the difficult questions to Chipman one of these days. The video, and whether or not Bowman viewed it is meaningless.
Not a chance that Bowman comes out looking better. True North made a proposal that was accepted by CV when, apparently, no one else was interested. If Bowman or anyone else has an issue with CV making the deal, thats not TN's problem. They stepped up and made a pitch for a development that would be very good for the city.

Damn those Chipman's and their investment in this city!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan