HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:02 PM

I rented the ballpark once, way back in 2002. beautiful facility (cant say the same for the management).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:27 PM

Rob @PrairieTweeter https://twitter.com/PrairieTweeter

IG Account (@tourismwinnipeg) on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTZ_P_l...ourismwinnipeg

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 10:19 PM

Noticed the tower crane has a North American Steel Erectors Logo on it. Those are the same guys that did the truss at IGF. https://www.nasteelerectors.com/

It will be interesting to see how fast the core goes up once they switch to slip forms. My guess is it won't start until they are into the typical floor plates.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:51 PM

Matt TenBruggencate (@tenbruggencate) on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnUgZXyn...tenbruggencate

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1983 View Post
Noticed the tower crane has a North American Steel Erectors Logo on it. Those are the same guys that did the truss at IGF. https://www.nasteelerectors.com/

It will be interesting to see how fast the core goes up once they switch to slip forms. My guess is it won't start until they are into the typical floor plates.
I haven't posted any new photos of the overview of the site in the last couple of weeks because there has virtually been no work done on the elevator cores (or on the rest of the site for that matter) since early last week. Still stuck at the 2nd floor. The tower crane hasn't been used yet either.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 11:08 PM

Is it confirmed that 330 Main (centre part) is happening after the tower still? I’m not a construction expert at all, but seems like it’d be weird to build the (connected) tower podium first, then the rest when the tower is done. Especially since 330 will be intergrated with the podium and mall below.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:43 AM

330 is being built at the same time as 300. They are just cleaning up the mess underground right now and they are finished all elevator shaft work in the garage. Not much happened today but there were a couple of workers doing minor work around the back door on Main Street.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:13 AM

Anyone see this tweet and know what these renders (4th photo) for Scotia building at P&M are?

https://twitter.com/stefanogrande/st...083413504?s=12

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
Anyone see this tweet and know what these renders (4th photo) for Scotia building at P&M are?

discussed in the Winnipeg Construction thread.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:11 AM

Thanks

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post

Both renders in the foreground appear to be for 200 Portage, likely different options. The render on the right appears to say "Main Street Elevation – Signage Opportunity" and based on the location of 220 Portage, it'd make sense that it's a different design option. Even the far left one looks like it says 200 Portage, and would appear that 220 would be behind Bowman's chin – that staircase looks similar to the one currently in Scotia.

FWIW this photo says that KidThink is "coming in 2019" – that would be a nice quick turnaround.

Part of me thinks that Bowman is going to go all-in on opening P&M soon as the election is over, regardless of plebiscite. Realistically, not many mayors may want to serve more than 8 years, so he might not have much to lose if he really believes in it and wins again.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:32 PM
What could go wrong?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:26 PM

But he said he would respect the referendum result - even though it is not binding.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
But he said he would respect the referendum result - even though it is not binding.
People say a lot of things. Especially to get elected.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Both renders in the foreground appear to be for 200 Portage, likely different options. The render on the right appears to say "Main Street Elevation – Signage Opportunity" and based on the location of 220 Portage, it'd make sense that it's a different design option. Even the far left one looks like it says 200 Portage, and would appear that 220 would be behind Bowman's chin – that staircase looks similar to the one currently in Scotia.

FWIW this photo says that KidThink is "coming in 2019" – that would be a nice quick turnaround.

Part of me thinks that Bowman is going to go all-in on opening P&M soon as the election is over, regardless of plebiscite. Realistically, not many mayors may want to serve more than 8 years, so he might not have much to lose if he really believes in it and wins again.
I wondered the same thing. If he'd charge ahead as a legacy project if he felt confident people would be proud of it when its done. A broken promise can come back to bite you later but if the No side wins but its really close, he could use that to move forward.

Or waits a year and says public perception has changed and he's moving forward.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:18 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
I wondered the same thing. If he'd charge ahead as a legacy project if he felt confident people would be proud of it when its done. A broken promise can come back to bite you later but if the No side wins but its really close, he could use that to move forward.

Or waits a year and says public perception has changed and he's moving forward.
Since it's only a plebiscite, he's going to move forward with it, regardless, provided that he gets re-elected.

The only reason why his opponents are so vocal about it is because of the money. Regardless of the outcome, the infrastructure involved is in need of repair anyway, and it IS the city's responsibility to repair them, at least at the bare minimum.

Hell, I'd love to see them tear down the barriers, but continue the ban of pedestrians for the time being to cater to the no side, if the no side wins. Instead of concrete, use chain roping, and semi-permanent posts to hold the chain ropes. Yes, there is a flaw in that idea, but lets give the no side a benefit of a doubt.

Back on topic, that 200 Portage render is pretty interesting. Although for an organization like that, I'm not sure if it would be a fit to the area without further details on what their plan would be.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Since it's only a plebiscite, he's going to move forward with it, regardless, provided that he gets re-elected.

The only reason why his opponents are so vocal about it is because of the money. Regardless of the outcome, the infrastructure involved is in need of repair anyway, and it IS the city's responsibility to repair them, at least at the bare minimum.

Hell, I'd love to see them tear down the barriers, but continue the ban of pedestrians for the time being to cater to the no side, if the no side wins. Instead of concrete, use chain roping, and semi-permanent posts to hold the chain ropes. Yes, there is a flaw in that idea, but lets give the no side a benefit of a doubt.

Back on topic, that 200 Portage render is pretty interesting. Although for an organization like that, I'm not sure if it would be a fit to the area without further details on what their plan would be.
Unfortunately that wouldn’t work as those barriers are actually structural to the concourse under the street which a lot do not know. So no matter what the city will have to spend millions to fix it even without opening the street up. Yet you don’t hear little dippy doo talking about that in her protests against opening it.
Just like she doesn’t understand most of the transitway is finished. But let’s just stop it all and forever have this unfinished project. Uggggg she annoys me to no end.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post

Funny you mention that, I was not supposed to mention this, but it's been a while so I will. A very high ranking public official with direct knowledge of the situation told me (before the plebiscite idea was raised) that the plan from the get-go (and still) for phase 1 is to take the east side barricades down to cross East Portage, but put giant temporary planters in their place to replace the barricades.

The thought was that then they appease everyone – take the ugly barriers down, still not allow pedestrians. Then after some time, eventually remove the planters.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:32 PM

No matter what happens they should up the Portage Ave East crossing. It's not uncommon to see a dozen people cross at a time twenty feet over from the intersection anyways. There is constant jay-walkers on Portage Ave East, which is fine by me. We could get Ditech International in there with a rope saw and cut a barrier down in a day. Done.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 11:48 PM

Recent article in McLean's on the P & M debate:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...-intersection/

I'm not a huge fan of the magazine's form of journalism, but they point out something that I haven't heard referred to much by local media...the fact that the corner will need $4 Million worth of repairs even if it isn't opened up. Don't know how accurate their numbers are, but I would have liked to have seen this little fact reported locally, along with things like impacts on commute times, etc. Have other heard of this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan