HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 1:24 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Hard not living there to hear all of the things going on but sounds like there are quite a few revitalized buildings turning into condos which is great.. preservation and urban residential.. ..the best.. Spokane has really hit residentials hard that is good especially for a city/area of it's size... where it is not the only option but a popular one.. I found a great pano of Spokane from the south hill on Flicka that I am working on (renderings) with the Davenport tower completed up next the Vox.. see if I can get it posted..

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 2:36 AM
Rathdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrw
The Kendall yards project will be drawn out a little longer than expected. The first phase will be completed in about 18-20 months if the permits are granted and certian traffic revisions are made, which I don't really see being a problem. But the time frame on the second phase will largely depend upon demand. Still this is great. Also there are about 6-10 smaller condo projects going on around downtown, such as Carnegie Square, Jefferson Lofts, Railside ( they also want to expand this project and add more units), the Joel building, and a few others. With all this renovation of older structures, hopefully the next 4-5 years we will see the elimination of many of the ugly surface parking lots and new construction on some more modern and contemporary structures!!!!
The joel building is being turned into a high class restauraunt with the top floor being bought by dorian studios the other occupant in that building and one of my customers.

the post about 6000+ living downtown will be great, will triple the current if 3000 is correct. only thing is that there will be real vehicle traffic downtown now and not just skirting around the outside. i work downtown in the holly mason building. the good thing though is that many of the first and second floor retail shops will strenghthen their customer base. causing future developments to possibly make 3rd and 4th floors dedicated for retail before starting on commercial or residential floors. i would love to bring the nightlife back to downtown. yay go spokane downtown

Last edited by ghost22; May 14, 2006 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 2:46 AM

^ ghost I heard about the upscale steakhouse called "churchills" on the first floor, but I am pretty sure they are planning a few condos in that building as well.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 3:00 AM
Rathdrum

well i guess that could be true for the 2nd floor i only just assumed the restaurant would use it, but since their is a basement level they probably will take that

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 4:05 AM
Curiosity Killed the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan
If your useless irrelevant threads did not say enough about you..... your lack of maturity is sure a shining beacon with this post my friend....

God man you are actually making me feel sorry for you a bit.

I'm sorry, I should have not got off topic, and maybe I should have asked you in PM instead of here. I didn't mean to offend you. I promise not to dis Spokane again. I'll only add information here when I find something worthwhile to say. Thank you.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 4:23 AM

That is exactly what they are doing. They are going to use the basement. It will house a nice bar. Here is a link if you want to read more about the steakhouse.

http://spokanejournal.com/index.php?...1&keyword=joel

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 5:42 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

revrw and ghost33 both have great finds..... Speaking of Night Life etc.. in eastern downtown.. I heard the B-side is/has closed it's doors is that true?

Last edited by oilcan; May 14, 2006 at 6:23 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 8:07 AM
Rathdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrw
That is exactly what they are doing. They are going to use the basement. It will house a nice bar. Here is a link if you want to read more about the steakhouse.

http://spokanejournal.com/index.php?...1&keyword=joel
thx for the link rev. i love steak. oh oilcan i saw your pano of spokane, great work but in your post u said ghost33, i am only 22 yrs old not 33. no biggie though. happy mothers day to all mothers!!

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan
revrw and ghost33 both have great finds..... Speaking of Night Life etc.. in eastern downtown.. I heard the B-side is/has closed it's doors is that true?
Yes, but The Spread has opened in the same location.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 3:38 PM
Hub for an Empire

OilCan, Nice Pano of downtown Spokane! Too bad they aren't going to add another 10 stories to the Washington Trust Bank. It would look neat towering over the Davenport Tower. Hopefully, the next tower announced for downtown will have more design....perhaps rounded, more detail, or peaked roof.....instead of the rectangulared towers we have now!

Good Job! It gives a good idea of things to come!

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 4:32 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^Thanks RemiO.. Glad to see something is there.. I have some freinds who play in "Six State Bender".. use to see them awhile back in there... great little venue...
And for those who have not been RemiO has a great site one of the best about Spokane: http://www.remi1000.com/ Anytime you want to use any redernings i post on here by my guest.. not that they are that good but it is amazing how Spokane does not throw out more visuals to the public.. and what the local news in that area throws out is pretty bad.. ha ha..

^Hub thanks, based one the maps I think that is the Vox locaton, please correct me if I am wrong?

And I actually am drawing a nice tower (for kicks) since it is about 105 degrees outside and too hot to do anything... next to the B.O.A.. going to call it the "Hub" tower... : )

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Thanks OilCan! Hope you have fun doing the tower!

It's warm here in Spokane today, but not that warm compared to Phoenix!

Old Posted May 19, 2006, 2:36 AM
Rathdrum

omg the heat the last couple days has been almost unbearable. has anyone been to the new theatre in cda, i know it has been around for a while but every time i make my way to idaho to go there i always feel it was worth it from the outside ( the inside isnt that great though.) Oh well cda needed a highclass theatre, the best it had before this was the showboat. anyone know when the riverside project plans to break ground after the recent set back.

Old Posted May 19, 2006, 2:58 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

ghost22 I have not heard of the new theater in CDA I know the showboat had seen better days where is it at? Ahh Spokane greatest weather in Washingon from here to Fall...... much better than the nice 100 degree temps like today in Phoenix.... got to love it when it is 7:00am and you skin sizzles.. ha..

Old Posted May 19, 2006, 3:08 AM
Rathdrum

ya we got to 94 yesterday and broke the previous record by 9 degrees. i will be in phoenix this fall in august on my way to cabo san lucas(cant wait). i use to live in tucson. havent been to phoenix in 14 yrs. how much has the core changed?

Old Posted May 19, 2006, 3:57 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Wow that hot up there? going to be a warm summer... Your not missing much here I am here riding the market but will be up in the NW again... core? ehh been here a couple of years and given the population it is very very sick and sad.... I do live in the immediate downtown area and do my best to support local downtown business but the damage is done the sprawl is sickening.. a highrise residential just went up few minutes from my house in the Biltmore area lightrail going in.. but overall downtown is........ pathetic..believe it or not even with Chase Field and the Arena downtown Spokane has much more of a downtown life "feel" to it.... if that is saying anything? I did see a residential highrise taking shape just across from the ballpark and am hearing of proposals left and right Tempe/Phoenix etc. but given the elements this metro is way way behind what a city this size should be.. urban sprawl and inner city core destruction at it's finest...

Old Posted May 19, 2006, 4:14 AM
Hub for an Empire

I'm tired of the hot weather here! Why would anyone want to live in a warm place like Phoenix! Between my allergies and 90 degree weather.....give me some snow! (And I hate winter!)

I think downtown Spokane has always had an appearance of Spokane being a larger city.....than it's past/current population. In the 60's Phoenix was the size of Portland. Wonder what it would have looked liked with slower growth?
Maybe other cities....CDA, Bend, should learn from these past trends?

Save the Rookery Block.....dammit!

Old Posted May 20, 2006, 3:03 AM
Hub for an Empire

Jensen-Byrd Article in the Journal of Business:

++++++++

Local News The issue dated May 18, 2006

Plan for Jensen-Byrd property evolves Printer-Friendly Version
Five-phase development would also include three buildings, parking garage

By Rocky Wilson

The former Jensen-Byrd warehouse building east of downtown is part of a five-acre area to be redeveloped

The joint venture chosen to redevelop the former Jensen-Byrd warehouse property in the Riverpoint Higher Education Park is working on a master plan that now includes erecting four new structures in addition to rehabilitating the big warehouse. Work on the first new building could get started by next spring.

Called Riverpoint Plaza LLC, the joint venture was formed by Robert B. Goebel General Contractor Inc. and Northwest Architectural Co., both of Spokane. It was selected in April from among four applicants that sought to redevelop the five-acre property, located south of Spokane Falls Boulevard and east of Pine Street. Riverpoint Plaza initially had proposed building seven new buildings there, but in its tentative new 10-year plan, it now intends to build four somewhat larger ones, says Bruce Blackmer, president of Northwest Architectural.

Cost estimates for the overall project, which is expected to be done in five phases, haven’t been determined yet.

Blackmer says the joint venture hopes to have a master plan for the proposed mixed-use development drafted by the end of the summer and to start work on the first new building there, a planned six-story, about 120,000-square-foot structure, next spring.

That building would be located near the southeast corner of Spokane Falls and Pine and would include retail, office, and laboratory space, he says. It likely would be ready for occupancy in late 2007 or early 2008, and would include ground-level parking, Blackmer says.

“We would design for about 18,000 square feet of space to 20,000 square feet of space per floor in the first building, and ideally have single-floor tenants,” he says. “Yet, we’ll make the design to allow for multiple tenants per floor.”

The project plans will have to be approved by Washington State University, which owns the property. It’s expected that the joint venture would own the buildings on the property and lease the ground from WSU for 55 years, after which ownership of the buildings could revert to WSU, although an agreement hasn’t been signed yet, Blackmer says.

The other three new structures currently being planned there would include two multiuse buildings and a 1,000-car parking garage, he says. The project also is to include redevelopment of the six-story, 185,000-square-foot former Jensen-Byrd warehouse, which was built in 1909 and is located on Main, about a block east of Pine.

WSU recently contracted with SERA Architects Inc., of Portland, Ore., to study future uses for the former Jensen-Byrd building and what it might cost to redevelop it. SERA, which is expected to complete the study in July, is using two Spokane companies in the work: KJM Associates, for cost estimates, and Coffman Engineers Inc., for structural studies.

“I guess that parts of the Jensen-Byrd building with historic value will be reused in some way. I expect we will avoid having to demolish it,” Blackmer says.

Blackmer expects the overall redevelopment to include more than 400,000 square feet of floor space.

“Realistically, it will take 10 years to complete the project,” he says. “But if there is a high demand and eagerness by tenants to locate here sooner, we could complete the work in five years.”

The second large new structure would be built directly south of the first one, near the northeast corner of Main Avenue and Pine, and just west of the Jensen-Byrd building, Blackmer says. The parking garage is expected to be built just to the east of the Jensen-Byrd building, likely on the site of another warehouse building that would be razed.

The third new building would be located to the south of there, and would front on the planned extension of Riverside Avenue, he says. It’s possible, depending on the type of tenants the joint venture is able to attract, that the third new building could become two smaller buildings, each of which would face the Riverside extension, Blackmer adds. In that case, the parking garage also would be divided into two structures, with a total ofl up to 1,200 parking slots, he says.

Blackmer says geotechnical studies are being done to determine the feasibility of building below-ground parking facilities on the site, but he thinks the land is “hard rock,” and he doubts that such structures will be built.

He says it’s too early to know what kind of tenants would be attracted to the property, but says preliminary interest has been strong, especially because it’s in the University District.

“It’s amazing how many people just call us,” Blackmer says. “We get a lot of cold calls about businesses interested in the site.”

He says Riverpoint Plaza’s development “will need to acknowledge and cooperate with the master plans of the Riverpoint campus and the University District,” adding that the company is collaborating closely with WSU on the project to attract the best mix of tenants.

A major unknown that will effect the project’s master plan is whether one of the buildings would include space for housing, says Blackmer. “No decision has been made on that, yet,” he says.

Contact Rocky Wilson at (509) 344-1264 or via e-mail at rockyw@spokanejournal.com.

Old Posted May 20, 2006, 3:58 AM
Rathdrum

wow that is great news, is there anything saying how tall the other buildings could be? One thing though, with all the projects flying in, if even most of them go through is anyone worried about whether the transportation infrastructure could handle it so quickly?

Old Posted May 20, 2006, 4:26 AM
Rathdrum

look what i found about the riverstone phase II project, it includes a 6 acre pond!! and higher density commercial space than phase I.

http://www.riverstonedistrict.com/pd...ticle-8-05.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West