HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:15 PM

General question for anyone with high rise construction knowledge.

Why does this building have such a tall maintenance "box" on top, where a building like The Parker (2 blocks up, also tall-ish high rise) has a relatively low box? I can't see The Parker's roof equipment from street view most of the time, but One South's is easy to spot.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:52 PM

492 units vs 277 units would be my guess. More equipment needed to heat and cool the building.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap_Shot View Post
General question for anyone with high rise construction knowledge.

Why does this building have such a tall maintenance "box" on top, where a building like The Parker (2 blocks up, also tall-ish high rise) has a relatively low box? I can't see The Parker's roof equipment from street view most of the time, but One South's is easy to spot.
  • The mechanical space needed for any highrise can vary significantly based upon the type of HVAC system used, type of use, etc., etc
  • The location of the mechanical spaces can be located pretty much anywhere in the building and don't necessarily need to be on the roof.
  • Finally, the developer can make an investment with concealing that equipment so that there is no 'box' at all... best current example would be OBP... the top of that tower is arguably one of the most expensive mechanical screens in the city.

Old Posted Today, 4:15 AM

Hard to see I guess, but you can see it making an impact on the Madison street canyon going west now:

A couple more blocks and the canyon will basically fade off into the horizon

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction