HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 3:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

flat top? that's not even. check out the base of it. fortress america. sheesh.

otherwise, i like it. i wasn't in love with the diamond anyway. i did hope architecturally this would be the best of the non-1wtc bunch. i still think it will be, but that remains to be seen.

i think the disappointment some of us have is more than in part based on the ghost of the historic downtown skyline with its gothic spires and general olde gothamness. flat tops were supposed to be for midtown midcentury madmen era office modernism, not downtown. even the og wtc twins and the rest of the banal office bldgs downtown cant seem to shake off that perception. when you get major midtown type bldg designs set downtown like these three wtc bldgs it kind of unconsciously immediately throws you off.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
Don't be surprised if this gets redesigned again. Even Foster's tower got some redesigns before BIG came along.
I would be very surprised if it were redesigned, given they've spent the last year refining the design, and given the lead tenant has a tight window for when they need the space.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 4:01 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

^^ Totally agree. Redesign would be highly unlikely at this point in the process, unless NewsCorp unexpectedly backs away from LOI. I expect to see only minor modifications and/or refinements being made.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
^^ Totally agree. Redesign would be highly unlikely at this point in the process, unless NewsCorp unexpectedly backs away from LOI. I expect to see only minor modifications and/or refinements being made.
I agree. I like it as it is and hope that it's built. It would suck if NC renewed its lease on 6th. It would be great to have the WTC fully rebuilt by its 2Oth anniversary .

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 6:02 PM

In terms of re-design, at this point, I'll accept this building as long as those stupid news tickers go away. We don't need Faux News propaganda being projected to the masses at such a symbolic site.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 8:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
I agree. I like it as it is and hope that it's built. It would suck if NC renewed its lease on 6th. It would be great to have the WTC fully rebuilt by its 2Oth anniversary .
Yup I think the same way. Time to finish the site, and restore glory to a sacred site which was damaged by savages abroad. For it to finally feel like normal is humbling. WTC2 is the final piece, and I want this gem to rise quickly.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 2:46 AM
BANNED

A lot of people never even scrutinized Foster's tower and are unaware of the fact that the diamonds were formed by an irregular and uneven slice at the top.

Had Foster's design been chosen, a lot of little girls on these sites would have thrown a fit when it was actually completed.

Foster's design was great, but I prefer BIG's

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:12 AM

A lot of people, myself included, had noticed the irregular shape of the diamonds, and I think most if not all agreed that it was a nice touch.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:21 AM

to be honest i loved the angling of the daimonds it made them easier to view from the memorial and see the correlation.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 10:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
A lot of people never even scrutinized Foster's tower and are unaware of the fact that the diamonds were formed by an irregular and uneven slice at the top.

Had Foster's design been chosen, a lot of little girls on these sites would have thrown a fit when it was actually completed.

Foster's design was great, but I prefer BIG's
You guys are normal. However, When the scores of little girls on these sites learned that the slice across the top was more like Citicorp's and not like the one in Chicago, they would have put on their pink Princess Elsa dresses and tiaras and bashed this tower. I guarantee it.

Last edited by JR Ewing; Jun 25, 2015 at 11:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 10:37 AM
BANNED

Lol!..just realize that Foster vs Ingels,it's a bit Apple vs Google(HQ design)
Apple's conservatism vs Google's innovations.
Beside the Hearst tower I'm not a big fan of Foster who is a great engineer but a poor artist.
The same for Rogers...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 1:39 PM

I wish Foster had done something really interesting here. Like the Hong Kong HSBC building he designed.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 2:45 PM

Neither design is or was groundbreaking or incredibly beautiful, but I like the stairway to the top of 1 WTC effect the new design has. That said, I think I can safely say that we all feel the entire WTC complex has been one colossal disappointment. The only tower that stayed true to it's original design is 4wtc and it turned out beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
Neither design is or was groundbreaking or incredibly beautiful, but I like the stairway to the top of 1 WTC effect the new design has. That said, I think I can safely say that we all feel the entire WTC complex has been one colossal disappointment. The only tower that stayed true to it's original design is 4wtc and it turned out beautiful.
Even the Pantheon in Rome is not like his original project, but i haven't seen somebody that cry for this

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
Tell me a better American office building constructed in the last 1O years outside of NY.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Tell me a better American office building constructed in the last 1O years outside of NY.
Lol!!you don't take much risk!..Chicago being still asleep,what city could rival with NY?You have to accept that maybe there is something beside the U.S.
NY deserves something like the Shanghai Tower for instance.
That said,I consider that the new WTC is really beautiful,one of the most outstanding urban center on earth.The finished product is gonna be amazing.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 6:20 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemeroscopium View Post
Lol!!you don't take much risk!..Chicago being still asleep,what city could rival with NY?You have to accept that maybe there is something beside the U.S.
That said,I consider that the new WTC is really beautiful,one of the most outstanding urban center on earth.The finished product is gonna be amazing.
Shanghai Tower wouldn' fit New York, it would be an eyesore of epic proportions. Too curvy and organic for New York. Ping An or GCTF on the other hand would be great additions ...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 6:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemeroscopium View Post
Other than a few buildings in Asia, there are no better pure office towers in the entire world. Most of what's rising in Europe is lame. Have you seen the latest iteration of 22 Bishosgate in London?

Anyway, I agree with you re: the greatness of the WTC.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 6:54 PM
BANNED

I fully agree Hunser:Shanghai tower would'nt fit NY at all!..I was more talking about the stature.
JR,I agree with you too...let's say the Shard is ok..

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 7:09 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

I luv the Shard. I think it would look great here. ahem... a taller version of course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction