HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 6:15 PM

Munich Tops Europe Transit Study

Munich Tops Europe Transit Study

MARCH 2, 2010

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Quote:
Munich has Europe's best public transport, according to a new study published Tuesday that finds commuters and visitors in 22 other cities face a range of quality in public information, travel times and charges. The survey of 23 European cities found nine offering only "acceptable" bus, streetcar and metro services and said more must be done to make public transport an attractive alternative to driving a car into a city.

The study by EuroTest, a group of automobile clubs in 15 nations led by Germany's ADAC, rated local public transport on travel time, information, ease of transfer, costs, operating hours and access to bike and car parking. Of the cities surveyed, only Munich rated "very good" because of fast connections, "plenty of information at stops and in vehicles" and an "extremely impressive" Web site.

The survey said public transit is "good" in 11 cities—Helsinki, Vienna, Prague, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Frankfurt Barcelona, Leipzig, Cologne, Rome and Bern. However, their evaluation shows weak points. While Rome has cheap public transit and good transfers, it informs travelers very poorly. And taking a bus in Frankfurt is relatively expensive. The study rated public transportation as only "acceptable" in Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Warsaw, Oslo, Lisbon, Madrid, London and Budapest.

A "very poor" grade went to Zagreb—where downtown street cars average only 13 kilometers (nine miles) per hour—and to Ljubljana. Both are now revamping their transit systems.

PDF Results

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 9:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Munich has Europe's best public transport, ... rated local public transport on travel time, information, ease of transfer, costs, operating hours and access to bike and car parking. Of the cities surveyed, only Munich rated "very good" because of fast connections, "plenty of information at stops and in vehicles" and an "extremely impressive" Web site.

The survey said public transit is "good" in 11 cities—Helsinki, Vienna, Prague, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Frankfurt Barcelona, Leipzig, Cologne, Rome and Bern. However, their evaluation shows weak points. While Rome has cheap public transit and good transfers, it informs travelers very poorly. And taking a bus in Frankfurt is relatively expensive. The study rated public transportation as only "acceptable" in Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Warsaw, Oslo, Lisbon, Madrid, London and Budapest.

Well, lived already in Munich and Hamburg, i think i can compare. The bold things i have my doubts. Drivers in Munich are really stupid, they do not wait for you even you come running when they do much more politely in Hamburg. Munich has a big deal problem connection in Olympiapark area. A solution i tired to propose to the strange 1st man there but he ignored me, when the idea was great using old trams and almost same tracks. Costs are everywhere in Germany too high for busses. You still wait too much 10 minutes for a bus to come, mainly in winter times, but this seems everywhere. So delays happen also. So i would put only 'good' to Munich. Hamburg in other way has stupid lines shares of some like A,B and C when a Bus do not go whole track all time. Also some fault connections could be directly done. Rome is crazy taking a bus. Paris one of most strange. Lisbon is quite pretty nice on that for the city they have and i found many drivers there that were nice. Bills and fare could be a big problem. London, well... it is odd, clear. It is more a postcard then really a public system.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 3:59 PM

I'd generally afree but Rome in the food category and London, Paris, Madrid and Amsterdam in acceptable is a bit iffy...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 5:08 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Rome in the good category ?
Honestly I don't know any other big city with a such bad public transportation in Europe.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 10:19 PM

When a city like Stockholm is not even mentioned then you just can't take the survey for serious. And Moscow???

Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 7:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The study by EuroTest, a group of automobile clubs in 15 nations led by Germany's ADAC, rated local public transport on travel time, information, ease of transfer, costs, operating hours and access to bike and car parking.
What the hell automobile drivers' company which only knows about cars knows about who and how exactly is the way of taking Bus in a public transport system?

If they go everytime by car, they never know what a Bus, Train and Subway is or even how they looklike, it a complete different world, also not even to be in place for judging them correctly. I have my doubts if they really know the times, connections of lines and operating hours. Maybe they can only know about Car Parking. But i am sure they never park their cars in those places, only sometimes in the Bus stops making confusion for the ones who really go by bus and not allow the bus properly stopping for the ones who really knows about.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 4:30 PM

Haha. A study ranking "European cities" without assessing Berlin ? Its like finding the most transport friendly city in the US without considering NYC or Chicago...

Plus, it is no secret anymore that Berlin has set up one of the most comprehensive, most modern and most efficient public transport systems in the world.

The so called "study" has miscredited itself right from the beginning.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 1:19 AM

^ Seems like all such "studies" are nonsense.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 6:26 AM
International

Lol

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 8:54 PM

Munich does have damn good transit for its size, though. Much better than similarly sized German cities like Hamburg and Cologne.

I don't know if it's the "best", but pound-for-pound, I can't offhand think of a system that's better. Huge and modern metro system, very extensive commuter rail, and good streetcar and bus networks.

And Rome has pretty crappy transit for a major Western European city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe