HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Well Blu Rivage is in Longueuil (which is listed separately in this thread), so the tallest in Montreal under construction right now (aside from Louis-Bohème) would be the 15 storey St-Martin Hotel. Yes, 15 stories on PRIME REAL ESTATE (and ugly as hell. It has 2 blank walls, a mix of prefab panels, fake brick, wood, ugly windows , etc).
Since the only thing left on Louis-Boheme is windows really I'll switch it over for now, though I do feel bad for Montreal getting such an ugly building.

If anyone has an exact height it'll keep the city realitively hgh on the list.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:05 AM

MTLskyline, why do you think WA has so little chance of getting built?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:12 AM
Go Chiefs!

The WA hotel is supposed to open in 2013.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:39 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Since the only thing left on Louis-Boheme is windows really I'll switch it over for now, though I do feel bad for Montreal getting such an ugly building.

If anyone has an exact height it'll keep the city realitively hgh on the list.
Well, technically, all the Hotel St-Martin really has left is the windows as well. After that, I am not sure what the tallest is, but it is probably in a suburban area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
MTLskyline, why do you think WA has so little chance of getting built?
Well, for one, Montreal doesn't exactly seem like a market important enough to sustain a Waldorf=Astoria. We are talking about 33 floors of luxurious hotel rooms and suites. How many people that rich will be in Montreal at once (aside from F1 weekend). The Waldorf projects in other cities seem to have run into some degree of trouble as well.

I just have been very suspicious about this project since the beginning. Especially since we hear so little about it (aside from the initial announcement, what have we heard since?)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 7:48 AM

^Hasn't the WA been on the books for what seems like almost a decade? I remember seeing that rendering in highschool.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 2:49 PM

The new tallest under construction for Montreal is the new research center for Université de Montréal (17 floor, 75 m).

Construction should starts in a few days/weeks.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Well, for one, Montreal doesn't exactly seem like a market important enough to sustain a Waldorf=Astoria. We are talking about 33 floors of luxurious hotel rooms and suites. How many people that rich will be in Montreal at once (aside from F1 weekend). The Waldorf projects in other cities seem to have run into some degree of trouble as well.

I just have been very suspicious about this project since the beginning. Especially since we hear so little about it (aside from the initial announcement, what have we heard since?)
I don't think that the whole WA is suppose to be hotel rooms and suites. There will be also an important part that will be residences (the same concept as the ritz-carlton). As there is no sale center for these residences now, I don't see the construction of the tower begining in the next months...

Also, the competition of the ritz-calton that is offering a similar concept is located just a few block east. That probably doesn't help. I don't know how goes the selling of the units with a price range between 2-3 million and 13 millions per unit...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 8:15 PM

Blu Rivage in Longueuil as seen from Mount Royal (my photo):

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 10:06 PM

Vancouver's tallest u/c the Georgia now finally peeking above the original hotel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 6:30 PM

Hey Bedford_DJ, ground has been broke on Saskatoon's new tallest u/c

It's an eleven storey box on a giant air conditioner unit... oh wait... it's a Holiday Inn.....

Source: http://digital.thestarphoenix.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

One less surface parking lot downtown, anyways.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 7:42 PM
Look at me!

Cool to see Charlottetown and Rimouski getting new "highrises"! Yeah!

As for Montreal, the hotel St-Martin is without a doubt one of the ugliest buildings in downtown right now. Replaced one monstrosity with another. Its too short, too ugly, too central and ruins a perfectly opportune piece of land. Its like building a McMansion in the middle of manhattan. It shouldn't be allowed. God damn it. Fake wood? Please give me a break! Bleh.

Meanwhile the kids at mtlurb.com are going crazy over any construction that exceeds 8 floors. We're building subpar 10 floor condos on Rene-Levesque. The current design for the Waldorf=Astoria is so terrible even a hamiltonian would raise an eyebrow. I am really disappointed with the height AND quality of our new constructions. I'm coming back from Vancouver in a couple weeks, I can only imagine I will be even more disappointed after that.

It realize I sound very negative, but I am totally justified to be so pessimistic. We are going nowhere fast. Things must change!

Pauvre Montreal!

Meanwhile I'm very scited about Altitude Montreal, though still disappointed with the height. a 3 year wait for a 33 floor building is a long wait. BUT i beelieve its the "nicest" looking highrise construction we've had since 1992.

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Apr 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country View Post
Hey Bedford_DJ, ground has been broke on Saskatoon's new tallest u/c

It's an eleven storey box on a giant air conditioner unit... oh wait... it's a Holiday Inn.....

Source: http://digital.thestarphoenix.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

One less surface parking lot downtown, anyways.
Added in. Saskatoon is now in 31st place

We don't get the best lloking Holiday Inn's either but I dont think I've ever seen one with those vent-looking things on the outisde before.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 8:58 PM
I am the law!

-Renaissance 2 in London is not under construction . The Tallest would therefore be 1503 Hyde Park at 13 storeys

-The tallest in Kitchener/Waterloo would be 323 King Street North (X-Flats) at 18 storeys.

-Levo in Coquitlam has been completed. Not aware of anything else over 10 storeys under construction

-The Carlyle at Victoria Hill @ 27 storeys would be the new tallest for New Westminster

-Skye in Kelowna has been completed. Not aware of anything else over 10 storeys under construction

-Vista Place in North Vancouver is pretty much done. I'd say the same for the Atrium at the Pier. Can't think of anything else over 10 storeys under construction

-Parc des Seigneurs I @ 15 storeys would be the new tallest for Laval.

-Executive Place in Red Deer has been turned over to the owners. Nothing else over 10 storeys is currently under construction.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
-Renaissance 2 in London is not under construction . The Tallest would therefore be 1503 Hyde Park at 13 storeys

-The tallest in Kitchener/Waterloo would be 323 King Street North (X-Flats) at 18 storeys.

-Levo in Coquitlam has been completed. Not aware of anything else over 10 storeys under construction

-The Carlyle at Victoria Hill @ 27 storeys would be the new tallest for New Westminster

-Skye in Kelowna has been completed. Not aware of anything else over 10 storeys under construction

-Vista Place in North Vancouver is pretty much done. I'd say the same for the Atrium at the Pier. Can't think of anything else over 10 storeys under construction

-Parc des Seigneurs I @ 15 storeys would be the new tallest for Laval.

-Executive Place in Red Deer has been turned over to the owners. Nothing else over 10 storeys is currently under construction.
Thank you for all of the updates.

The cities that you listed that have completed projects and no known replacements now have an astricks beside them in the list saying that if a replacement project is not found within a week the city and project will be romved from the list.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 12:38 AM

Rico, I think you are completely justified. What Montreal is getting right now is architectural garbage, plain and simple. As a matter of fact almost everything built in this city since the mid-60s is ugly. There are a few exceptions (Habitat 67, 1250 R-L, etc), but for the most part I'm right. At least ugly today is less offensive than ugly 30 years ago. I'd take Hotel St-Martin over Hotel de la Montagne any day of the week.

Personally I think the best looking highrises since 1992 are the CCE and the JMSB. #3 is probably the Université de Sherbrooke building, but that's Longueuil's.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 1:21 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Rico, I think you are completely justified. What Montreal is getting right now is architectural garbage, plain and simple. As a matter of fact almost everything built in this city since the mid-60s is ugly. There are a few exceptions (Habitat 67, 1250 R-L, etc), but for the most part I'm right. At least ugly today is less offensive than ugly 30 years ago. I'd take Hotel St-Martin over Hotel de la Montagne any day of the week.

Personally I think the best looking highrises since 1992 are the CCE and the JMSB. #3 is probably the Université de Sherbrooke building, but that's Longueuil's.
You're right, our universities (with the notable and not-surprising exclusion of UQAM) are building some mighty nice buildings. McGill's new pavilions are excellent, Concordia is single handedly changing the face of the downtown west-side and UdM has some nice projects at the outremont yards and the CHUM downtown. Even USAL is changing the face of that god-awful bus terminal in Longueuil metro with that glass 17 storey building. I especially appreciate the new JMSB building, granted its a stubby mid-rise but a welcome addition among those decrepit concrete slabs (which are time bombs, only a matter of time before one of them crumbles down onto de maisonneuve street).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 2:08 AM

The Trillium here in the 'Fax is now working on its 3rd floor! (photos by me);

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Meanwhile the kids at mtlurb.com are going crazy over any construction that exceeds 8 floors. We're building subpar 10 floor condos on Rene-Levesque. The current design for the Waldorf=Astoria is so terrible even a hamiltonian would raise an eyebrow. I am really disappointed with the height AND quality of our new constructions. I'm coming back from Vancouver in a couple weeks, I can only imagine I will be even more disappointed after that.

It realize I sound very negative, but I am totally justified to be so pessimistic. We are going nowhere fast. Things must change!

Pauvre Montreal!

In general MTL is doing OK and has built some nice things in the last few years.

But if you're talking about the high-rise department.....

BTW what ideas could Montreal take from Vancouver?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 4:44 PM
Community Guy

^a better climate, an ocean view with pretty mountains, overpriced real estate, and far too much of a 'look at me i have_____'.

oh wait

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 6:02 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^a better climate, an ocean view with pretty mountains, overpriced real estate, and far too much of a 'look at me i have_____'.

oh wait
It's no Edmonton, that's for sure. Somehow I don't think that'll answer his question.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada